MG garage telling me 100% SOH….

JodyS21

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
What do you guys think?

Zs Mk1 done 32,000miles, in for 2nd attempt at the service (they did the 1 year instead of 2nd last month…)
I know the SOH from the ODB2 is 93.7%
I’ve been monitoring it ever since new, it correlates with the GOM (WLTP 163m at 100%SOH) after resetting trips at 100% charged.
Paperwork just given to me says 100% SOH, the service folk tell me it’s right and I’m wrong as I don’t have the official mg software. Am now waiting to get it replugged into computer so they can show me the “100%”.

I am not happy right now to say the least!

Last edited:
If you are getting the WLTP figure when you reset the trips wouldn't that suggest the SOH is indeed 100% ?
I’m not getting 163m now. I’m getting about 152. Which correlates with the SOH being 93.xx%
I’ve updated my post btw to clarify :)

I do not understand. What do you intend to do about it in either case, whoever is right?

My guess would be that the MG software system is slightly biased in the favour of a higher SOH of the pack ?.
I have no evidence to back this up of course.
Right or wrong though MG will be using these figures to support / reject any warranty claims against any HV battery condition.
So, that being the case, then producing any other figures obtained, via any other means will be filled out !.

I do not understand. What do you intend to do about it in either case, whoever is right?
That’s kinda what I told them, I don’t care as such that it’s 93% - I expect it to be. I expect them to do their job correctly, especially as it’s their 2nd attempt to do the service properly.

So, the update, after basically being told I was lying and the 100% is correct.
They replugged the computer in and let me see the screen….computer says 93% SOH.

For anyone interested I managed to get a photo of the mg laptop
C575AF6F-5E4A-4D94-8B14-680809341B66.jpeg

I have got to say to anyone living in/near Milton Keynes, goto another MG dealership!
Originally after doing the 2nd service and being told it’d all been done, I checked and they hadn’t changed the key fob batteries or the filter, also found out later that they hadn’t plugged in for diagnostics/updates either as the system was down at the time.
It was in today for the 2nd service to be done properly.

That's interesting as the OBD2 was being a little bit more positive but close enough

They replugged the computer in and let me see the screen….computer says 93% SOH.

View attachment 13903

I have got to say to anyone living in/near Milton Keynes, goto another MG dealership!
Originally after doing the 2nd service and being told it’d all been done, I checked and they hadn’t changed the key fob batteries or the filter, also found out later that they hadn’t plugged in for diagnostics/updates either as the system was down at the time.

I took both my keys in for the second service in case they changed the batteries and they just said not needed! :unsure:
The 2nd service on my previous car a Kia Niro both batteries were replaced.

View attachment 13903

Good on you for sticking with it!

Well, I presume you are paying for the new batteries! Quite a few people would probably not want them changed unnecessarily, and might even refuse to pay the bill.

No mention of changing the key batteries in the service schedule, but I did find this interesting paragraph;

The maintenance plan recommended in the manual is the optimum maintenance cycle based on the test operation
conditions. The vehicle must be maintained for the first time in 3 months or 3,000 km to inspect the equilibrium status of the high voltage battery pack.
“Regular Maintenance Plan” or “Special Maintenance Plan” shall be carried out according to integrated factors such as domestic road conditions and driving conditions.

How many of us have had the traction battery checked after 3 months?

I took both my keys in for the second service in case they changed the batteries and they just said not needed! :unsure:
The 2nd service on my previous car a Kia Niro both batteries were replaced.
To be honest they don’t need changing, it’s just an excuse to charge more for the 2nd (B) service.
The only things extra in the more expensive B (2nd year) service are pollen filter/fob batteries/brake fluid change. Most folk will say even brake fluid doesn’t need to be replaced every 2 years.
If it wasn’t needed to keep the warranty I wouldn’t have it done at all.

Well, I presume you are paying for the new batteries! Quite a few people would probably not want them changed unnecessarily, and might even refuse to pay the bill.
No choice unfortunately it’s part of the mandatory service to keep the warranty.

That's interesting as the OBD2 was being a little bit more positive but close enough
It looked like the official mg system only reads/displays it in whole numbers

No mention of changing the key batteries in the service schedule, but I did find this interesting paragraph;

The maintenance plan recommended in the manual is the optimum maintenance cycle based on the test operation
conditions. The vehicle must be maintained for the first time in 3 months or 3,000 km to inspect the equilibrium status of the high voltage battery pack.
“Regular Maintenance Plan” or “Special Maintenance Plan” shall be carried out according to integrated factors such as domestic road conditions and driving conditions.

How many of us have had the traction battery checked after 3 months?
I don’t know anyone that had that initial check!

Service schedules are here:
E444DE28-0272-4C13-AEFD-A39C944AE5C1.png

My guess would be that the MG software system is slightly biased in the favour of a higher SOH of the pack ?.
I have no evidence to back this up of course.
Right or wrong though MG will be using these figures to support / reject any warranty claims against any HV battery condition.
So, that being the case, then producing any other figures obtained, via any other means will be filled out !.
Jeff, as I had 3 1/2 hours waiting for the service, I managed to get an hour test drive of the new ZS - it was a short range.
It was nicer but we’ve decided it’s not worth the cost to upgrade.
Much better charging covers (why aren’t they on the new mg4!?) and I like the new digital dash, obviously the app (preheating) would be great & a slightly bigger battery, can’t believe there’s still only an on/off setting for the heated seats.
I did notice the gearing is different (motor rpm vs actual speed), I wonder if it’s different SR to LR.

What was their response to being caught out?
Not that much really, will feed it back etc. I am expecting a formal apology.
Won’t be getting 3.5hours of my life back unfortunately lol.

It’s going to have to go back too for further investigation 😭 as non functioning rear squirter couldn’t be fixed. Found a nice surprise when got home though, now got a loose trim on tailgate thanks to the investigation they did do….

Jeff, as I had 3 1/2 hours waiting for the service, I managed to get an hour test drive of the new ZS - it was a short range.
It was nicer but we’ve decided it’s not worth the cost to upgrade.
Much better charging covers (why aren’t they on the new mg4!?) and I like the new digital dash, obviously the app (preheating) would be great & a slightly bigger battery, can’t believe there’s still only an on/off setting for the heated seats.
I did notice the gearing is different (motor rpm vs actual speed), I wonder if it’s different SR to LR.
Glad you managed to grab a quick test drive in the Gen 2 ZS EV - all be it, a standard range.
It was my view when the Gen 2 was first released, that unless I could afford to upgrade to the LR model, then I just not justify the cost TBH.
The improvements of the Gen 2 are much needed and very welcome over the Gen 1 model, but my main focus of attention / priority was the offer of larger battery pack in the LR.
The Gen 2 has some great upgraded features, but it has carried over some of the old features that should have been ironed out by now.
You mentioned the heated seats, although very welcomed and I would NOT be without them, but they should have a three stage heat seating.
I can't comment on your observation with regards to motor rpm / actual speed sorry, because I have not driven the standard range Gen 2 model.
The supply of the facelift model is getting worse and worse and the price is increasing and equipment is being removed !.
MG are quoting a whopping 18 months wait on recent orders and have said they will be suspending any new orders in December 2022 until further notice.
The top level spec cars will not have the sun roof also, but are likely to see a price increase as well.
I think MG have under priced the early cars for sure !.
The new future Gen 3 ZS EV that will be built on the new platform ( same as the MG 4 ) should be a ground up dedicated EV ?.

View attachment 13903

Sounds like they didn't plug it in initially and guessed the SOH%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom