MG HS PHEV Panoramic Sunroof Leaking

NikNak

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have a 2022 MG HS PHEV and have had excess water accumulating on the front passenger footwell twice. The first time there was so much there that I noticed a sparkle while I was driving. When I stopped, I checked to see what was shining and the mat was soaked and excess water was in a puddle. I tried using my wet & dry vacuum to suck the water up but after filling the container 3 times, I gave up. The back passenger side footwell was also wet.
I took it back to my local service agent who ripped up the carpet, had to get rid of some rust and then replaced the carpet. They found that one of the sunroof drains was blocked so all the water was going into the glove compartment, then running down the back to the footwell.

I've been checking the footwell after rain (for the last 6 months) and fine, until last week. The front passenger footwell is soaked again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything you can recommend that I do to stop this happening again?
Previously, I had a VW Beetle with a large sunroof for 3 years and I never had any leaking. It sounds like a design fault.

Had the same with a BMW 5 series, passenger foot well more like a swimming pool. The dealer found the drain tube going down the A pillar was semi blocked, allowing some water to escape but in heavy rain it escaped in an overflow and ended up in the foot well. They replaced the whole sun-roof, carpets the lot. However under the carpet were some electrical connectors that had also suffered and that led to some weird electrical problems! In the end they gave up and gave me a refund and the car went to auction (Should have been crushed). so keep a record of any electrical problems.

Reading this I am so glad I didnt get the phev essence model with the sunroof. I had leaking issues with a sunroof in a car I had a few years ago which used to drip on me. I ended up selling the car for that reason. In NZ its too cold to have a sunroof open anyway..

I have a 2022 MG HS PHEV and have had excess water accumulating on the front passenger footwell twice. The first time there was so much there that I noticed a sparkle while I was driving. When I stopped, I checked to see what was shining and the mat was soaked and excess water was in a puddle. I tried using my wet & dry vacuum to suck the water up but after filling the container 3 times, I gave up. The back passenger side footwell was also wet.
I took it back to my local service agent who ripped up the carpet, had to get rid of some rust and then replaced the carpet. They found that one of the sunroof drains was blocked so all the water was going into the glove compartment, then running down the back to the footwell.

I've been checking the footwell after rain (for the last 6 months) and fine, until last week. The front passenger footwell is soaked again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything you can recommend that I do to stop this happening again?
Previously, I had a VW Beetle with a large sunroof for 3 years and I never had any leaking. It sounds like a design fault.
Hi,
Im in the middle of the exact same issue myself.
Yesterday, the passenger footwell had several centimetres of water sloshing around!
No signs of water on the door or seats ie. sunroof and windows were definitely not left open accidentally.

Took it immediately to Tristram North Shore and they are saying it was a blocked sunroof drain and its not a warranty issue:-(
To rub salt into the wound, it was there 1 week earlier for its 2nd service!

How did you get on? Did your Dealer honour it under warranty?

IMHO - If its not mentioned in the owners manual, and if the Dealer doesnt check it as part of a service, and its not mentioned in any Dealer maintenance recommendations, then it is an unservicable item that should be designed to last for the cars lifetime.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,
Just had the same issue as you and wasn’t fixed the first time I bought the car in, they didn’t charge me then. However, this time to clear the tubes, Dees of Croydon, charged me for one hour to investigate and two hours to fix it, totalling £450! I’m in the process of complaining and trying to get a manager involved. Looking at YouTube, you can clear your drain tube with a thin hollow pipe and a few blasts of air, taking a few minutes to do both.

Hi,
Im in the middle of the exact same issue myself.
Yesterday, the passenger footwell had several centimetres of water sloshing around!
No signs of water on the door or seats ie. sunroof and windows were definitely not left open accidentally.

Took it immediately to Tristram North Shore and they are saying it was a blocked sunroof drain and its not a warranty issue:-(
To rub salt into the wound, it was there 1 week earlier for its 2nd service!

How did you get on? Did your Dealer honour it under warranty?

IMHO - If its not mentioned in the owners manual, and if the Dealer doesnt check it as part of a service, and its not mentioned in any Dealer maintenance recommendations, then it is an unservicable item that should be designed to last for the cars lifetime.

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve. My dealer is Tristram North Shore too.
The first time it happened, they didn't charge me however, it happened again just before my service. This time they charged me, they had the vehicle for 2 weeks. Said there was some debri in the drain. They had to increase the filter holes in the drain to let more through. I said this was a design fault but they said noone else is having this issue. It must be where I park my car.

I asked how I can check it more often so it doesn't happen again. As the pipe is inside the car, you can't check it but if you open the suroof and there is water welling in the front part, then you know it's blocked again.

I had a VW Beetle for 3 years with a panoramic sunroof & this never happened. I've had the MG 2 years and it has happened 3 times.

Good luck getting it covered. They don't seem to be able to provide advice around stopping this happen.
Cheers
Nikki

Hi,
Just had the same issue as you and wasn’t fixed the first time I bought the car in, they didn’t charge me then. However, this time to clear the tubes, Dees of Croydon, charged me for one hour to investigate and two hours to fix it, totalling £450! I’m in the process of complaining and trying to get a manager involved. Looking at YouTube, you can clear your drain tube with a thin hollow pipe and a few blasts of air, taking a few minutes to do both.
Thanks for letting me know about Youtube. The service manager said there wasn't anything I could do apart from checking water build up to know that it had blocked again. Will check out youtube

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom