MG HS PHEV, sales people seem clueless about this car

000dog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
HI all. I have been looking into buying this MG phev over the last few weeks and have a good px deal lined up for my current MG EV but one of my concerns is that both garages who were offering me a deal had to send both HS phevs back to MG because they had issues. Both cars were low mileage and I find it a bit worrying that two cars had problems and neither sales person could really enlighten me
I have found that the sales people selling these cars do not seem to know much about them so I thought some of you more knowledgeable people on this forum might be able to shed some light on the problem.
Could it be coincidence with the two cars or should I take heed and not buy this car as it seems a bit of a red flag?

There is a dedicated page on this forum for HS PHEV owners.
A quick search will bring it up.
There have been some common similar issues communicated on this thread.
But like always, there is always a positive and negative outcome.
I guess your usage case must have changed a lot, if you are now considering moving from a full BEV and over to a PHEV now ?.
PHEV's have a very niche' / particular usage market, if you fit into that box then brilliant.
Stray away and the cost savings can have a negative outcome.
I would only say this, check out the MPG of the PHEV when it is running as a purely ICE !.
The fuel consumption in stand alone ICE mode, is pretty poor really.
The ICE engine is not very refined or economical and it is pulling a LOT of extra weight with that HV battery pack added.
It only works out economical, IF you charging at home and are making a lot of short trips and by using the small EV range at EVERY available opportunity.
If you are conducting a lot of long trips, then PHEV's are not that economical either.
On the HS PHEV when you use the cabin heater and you require high heat, the car will start up the ICE until the inside temp matches the outside temp, even if you are in pure EV mode.
You can not run in pure EV mode when requiring heat about the ambient outside temp.
A family member had strongly favoured the HS PHEV but then after considering the returns over his present ICE car, the PHEV proved not to be worth the extra outlay.
Remember the servicing costs of a PHEV are much higher than a BEV and do increase as the car gets older.
I owned a VW PHEV for over four years, starting back in 2015 before going full BEV in 2019.
The system on the VAG was more refined to be honest, because it offered total control of the EV range to the driver 100% of the time.
Regardless of the demands placed on it, with regards to power output / speed ( up to 80mph ) and any heat requirements for the cabin.
I would suggest popping over to the HS PHEV pages on the forum (y).

Cheers mate thanks for that very informative reply. I have had the BEV Mg for nearly three years and has been a great car. Although most of my mileage is local I have started to do more longer journeys and get a bit cheesed off with the constant need to charge and the time it takes, not to mention the bloody small fortune I spend at the services.
Anyway thanks for mentioning about the future costs in running these types of cars, ill check out this forum a bit more.

I'm a big fan of my HS PHEV, but it's not all that economical when running on petrol (37mpg on motorways with two of us + luggage in). I'm currently paying 32.59p per KwH - which according to my spreadsheet (2.3KwH for 6 hrs a day) is 14.1p a mile. A diesel car returning 58mpg at £1.83 a litre is about the same. My long term average is 66mpg, 11p a mile, but that doesn't include the Electric element of that, which I fear will probably take it back to around 14p again.

Lovely car to drive etc. etc., but not sure I'll go PHEV again when the lease is up in 3 years. My sons full hybrid returns 70mpg.

My car is currently at 19k miles with a signification bit in EV mode. Dropping kids off to school, picking them up and then going to tennis a few times a week is all done in EV mode. That said we have had few long distance journeys.
1x Cheshunt <-> Aberdeen
2x Cheshunt <-> Dundee
3x Cheshunt <-> Sheffield
1x Cheshunt <-> Cardiff
1x Cheshunt <-> Devon.

Average mpg on long distance trip is 40. That balances out the EV usage and the car was average 108mpg since last service though that was before the 2nd Dundee trip.

Many thanks for the replies and general info on this forum. It does seem everyone loves the car but there seems a lot of niggles and considering you only get around 2 miles per KW give or take from the battery I have decided not to buy one.

Many thanks for the replies and general info on this forum. It does seem everyone loves the car but there seems a lot of niggles and considering you only get around 2 miles per KW give or take from the battery I have decided not to buy one.
You should always do what works for you. IMO I easily get 30-40 miles and most definitely 3 miles / kWh. Local roads and careful driving can push it to 4ish but its not an EV and its not small. Good luck

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom