MG Pilot cheat

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
This is going to be a controversial post, but have any of you figured out a way to cheat the MG Pilot's lane centering to allow hands off driving on the motorway?

I've seen a few posts on the Tesla "Autopilot buddy" cheat device.

I tried the usual trick of pop bottle in the spoke but it doesn't work. In the end I found an ankle weight works perfectly. Too heavy and it will make the car pull too much to one side, too light and it won't register and throw up the "hold the steering wheel warning"

I've attached a pic of mine. As you can see I always keep my fingers touching the wheel in case I need to intervene. It makes long motorway journeys much more relaxing.

Obviously I don't condone doing it on anything other than straight roads and you have to be paying attention and ready to intervene at all times, so don't do this so you can send a text or check emails etc! Not having to constantly make minute adjustments to the steering on the motorway makes for a more relaxing journey

I'm aware this will rub some members up the wrong way but each to their own.

Attachments

• PXL_20210324_162051984~2.jpg
    PXL_20210324_162051984~2.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 284
I see so many people driving whilst texting and even watching TV! I'm not distracted whilst doing this; I pay full attention and am ready to intervene immediately if needs be.

The original Tesla "Autopilot buddy" is no longer sold. Aside from being deemed illegal by the US NHTSA, a firmware update in 2018 has made it useless now anyway as the cars more often ask the driver to move the wheel slightly to confirm.
Not having to constantly make minute adjustments to the steering on the motorway makes for a more relaxing journey
I don't find the autopilot nagging to be an intrusion - we're taking the ZS EV for a test drive tomorrow so hoping to find its lane-keeping features similarly useful

This is going to be a controversial post, but have any of you figured out a way to cheat the MG Pilot's lane centering to allow hands off driving on the motorway?

I've seen a few posts on the Tesla "Autopilot buddy" cheat device.

I tried the usual trick of pop bottle in the spoke but it doesn't work. In the end I found an ankle weight works perfectly. Too heavy and it will make the car pull too much to one side, too light and it won't register and throw up the "hold the steering wheel warning"

I've attached a pic of mine. As you can see I always keep my fingers touching the wheel in case I need to intervene. It makes long motorway journeys much more relaxing.

Obviously I don't condone doing it on anything other than straight roads and you have to be paying attention and ready to intervene at all times, so don't do this so you can send a text or check emails etc! Not having to constantly make minute adjustments to the steering on the motorway makes for a more relaxing journey

I'm aware this will rub some members up the wrong way but each to their own.
I know what you mean. MG pilot can work very well and it takes away a lot of stress and tiredness on a long journey which is a good thing.

Two weights, one each side to balance it out should do it.

Talking of distractions, a few years ago when driving out of Wales on the M4, I approached a Ford Ka that was being driven slightly erratically - not drink-driver erratic, but just needing what appeared to be lots of little corrections to stay in lane. When I passed the car, the young girl driver was on an iPad which was placed on her steering wheel! 😲😲😲

Two weights, one each side to balance it out should do it.
I tried that, it cancels each other out! These weigh 453gm's and seem to be the perfect weight. Doesn't pull the steering to one side but is just heavy enough to register with the car.

Last edited:
It’s simple ....... don’t do it. The MG Pilot isn’t accurate enough for this type of operation. I’ve tried a few times and whilst it is a good aid to help driving in a long journey it doesn’t always work. I’ve had the car drift out of the lane as the pilot hasn’t tracked the lanes correctly and I’ve also had it try to take an exit slip road off the motorway 😳

Again, it’s not worth the risk for you or other drivers and only a fool would try it.

Sorry for commenting on an old thread, but been using this recently and finding it really unreliable, have to intervene routinely as it simply doesn't react in time to any deviation from straight on. Is this normal on the MG ZS?

For context I also have a Seat with the same feature and it works perfectly in that on exactly the same roads.

Sorry for commenting on an old thread, but been using this recently and finding it really unreliable, have to intervene routinely as it simply doesn't react in time to any deviation from straight on. Is this normal on the MG ZS?

For context I also have a Seat with the same feature and it works perfectly in that on exactly the same roads.

Is the camera obstructed? As I'm sure you know dirt on the windscreen in front of the camera (behind the rear view mirror) will cause it problems. It's not too great with direct sunlight either. On the whole I find mine quite impressive, perhaps I'm biased though as I've never had previous experience of this type of feature.

I find it needs to be monitored because it will sometimes drift right to the edges of the lane.
My Seat was good at lane centering but the best system I've tried is my DS3 CROSSBACK's system. It stayed in the centre at all times and wasn't thrown out by faint lines.
Although it has to be said the MG has low speed following, which can be quite useful as it allows MG Pilot to function when there are no lane markings present.
But for the price you can't really complain with the MG system, it's quite competent.

I have to admit, when using it mine feels as though it's too close to the left, especially on roads with hedgerows but on motorways and dual carriageways it seems more central. It's a bit of a gimmick to me at the moment, I usually have it turned off for normal driving.

I don't use it in the MG.

We have just spent two days driving to and from Wellington in my wife's Seltos. Mainly motorway driving. I found the constant messages, pings, alerts, and the computer trying to turn the steering wheel an annoying distraction.

If you have less to do because the car does it for you, your mind will wander.

Hence I prefer just driving as I have always done. Using all my senses to concentrate on the road. (though I also listen to the radio and natter)

Yes, driving long distances is tiring, but so is visiting hospitals.

I tend to use the ACC and do the steering myself.

I find Pilot a little awkward that you have to hold the wheel firmly enough so it knows you are holding it but it then steers, feels almost like I am fighting it !

I use auto pilot alot and its great but find it a pain when it warns my because i'm not holding the steering wheel hard enough, my hands are at the bottom of the steering wheel

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom