MG Pilot Gripes

securespark

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
In the main, I'm loving Pilot.

Came from a 2009 ICE car that had none of that gear.

But I must say, the car has made some odd decisions when using ACC.

Mostly that when driving along, the car will brake suddenly and severely without any obvious hazard being visible.

Has anyone else suffered this?

All cars with the tech do it, some more than others. The Ioniq was really good at it, the Kona was cr*p and was braking all the time for no reason. Even Tesla's do it.

The Op is talking about braking with ACC, not AEB or LKA.

I have had this happen, particularly on single carriageway roads where the car can detect oncoming traffic and brake when it shouldn't. On dual carriageways and motorways it is better, although around sharp curves it can still get confused sometimes.

I think there are module updates to improve this, although I don't have them yet. To be honest I've stopped using the cruise control due to this behaviour. I probably should get it looked at but most of my driving is on local roads anyway.

The Op is talking about braking with ACC, not AEB or LKA.

I have had this happen, particularly on single carriageway roads where the car can detect oncoming traffic and brake when it shouldn't. On dual carriageways and motorways it is better, although around sharp curves it can still get confused sometimes.

I think there are module updates to improve this, although I don't have them yet. To be honest I've stopped using the cruise control due to this behaviour. I probably should get it looked at but most of my driving is on local roads anyway.
Yes, hands up, balls out, my bad.
Speed read the post without my glasses.

I also know that folk do like to go off on a tangent on a lot of the lka posts blah blah 🤣

Mostly that when driving along, the car will brake suddenly and severely without any obvious hazard being visible.

Now I have my bins on 🤣

I like ACC on the whole but if I leave it on it does rather make you look like an amateur.
I don't really mind it slowing for bends etc as that can be explained by the camera not being able to see around the bend, but is also quite annoying on a straighter road like a dual carriageway/motorway when it sometimes just wants to slow slightly, then speed back up again.(regardless of following other traffic)

My friend was behind me today on a 30 mile trip to Pembrey Country Park.
I was asking him if the brake lights were coming on and off (in line with the feeling of the car slowing down) and they were. (making you look like a noob if you get my drift)

Not yet had it brake suddenly for nothing, but it has slammed on, when it thought I was going to hit a parked car I was passing.
(Van was stopped on my side of the road, I had to move onto the other side of the road to pass it, I didn't indicate, no one close enough behind, perhaps if I had the car would have realised what I was doing?)
I had at least a foot between our wing mirrors.
Made me look like a right twonk in a busy high street (lots of peds and right outside of a Cafe with alfresco punters)
Took a while to trust it again after that, but " touch wood" It hasn't done it again since.............I've employed my start up routine, I.E. don't touch any controls until your screen has done its start up dance and your personal greeting is spoken to you.
(circa 30 seconds from unlock in my case)

Last edited:
Personal greeting?

That's new to me!
You can get the car to say whatever you like. Not sure if expletives are available 🤣 but mine says "Hello Chris and Jenny"
It's in settings (I think? might be user) Not sat in the car so can't remember off the top of my head)
20230924_092300.jpg

Last edited:

I love ACC but never use Pilot.
With Pilot as you have to have your hands on the steering wheel anyway I would rather do the steering than have the wheel dragging my hands arounds.

I love ACC but never use Pilot.
With Pilot as you have to have your hands on the steering wheel anyway I would rather do the steering than have the wheel dragging my hands arounds.
I find MGPilot as opposed to just LKA doesn't ping you around. I only use it (Pilot) on motorways. I never use the stand Lone LKA.

On the MG4 "Pilot" is called Traffic Jam Assist (TJA. MG Pilot is the suite of driver assist systems rather than a single feature). Whilst it works at higher speeds, it is designed/intended for lower speed, busy traffic situations.

(LKA on my MG4 is OK, but TJA at motorway speeds I find it unnerving - I've had it try to steer me INTO a truck as I was overtaking it!)

Don't think I'm yet familiar with all the features of Pilot.

I like the principle of them all. The LKA keeps you on your toes and you have to remember to indicate every time or else the car tells you off... a few times, the car has braked when reversing because it has seen a car coming (that we were already aware of). I think it's great these systems have got your back. You just need to remember not to become totally reliant on them, they are there as an aid, not there to replace your vigilance as the driver.

I'm not familiar with TJA. I'll look it up.

I liked TJA on the M25 when the jam was really slow, but it kept on at me to hold the steering wheel - which I was. It seems it wants you to try to resist the wheel turning, which I didn't want to do as it was doing OK. But then the traffic speeded up and it turned into LKA on speed. No thanks.

Pilot is really the name for a whole suite of separate features. Sometimes we think of of one feature but that is actually 2 or more combined, e.g. ACC bring the car to a halt and starting again in traffic is actually ACC+TJA working together.

Not quite, as TJA also steers for you. (In the Pilot menu you can select Off, ACC or TJA; if you select TJA then you get ACC functionality anyway, but ACC is not also TJA unless you've selected TJA. If you select only ACC then you don't get any steering function - except that provided by LKA, if it is on).

Not quite, as TJA also steers for you. (In the Pilot menu you can select Off, ACC or TJA; if you select TJA then you get ACC functionality anyway, but ACC is not also TJA unless you've selected TJA. If you select only ACC then you don't get any steering function - except that provided by LKA, if it is on).
Agreed. ACC does not steer, and neither does TJA as far as I can see from the MG UK information.

Should also be noted that in the Mk1 5 and ZS that TJA does not exist in the menus.
As pointed to in the above link as described by MG UK

1. Adaptive Cruise Control

Adaptive Cruise Control uses smart technology to detect what’s in front of you. It will then change your speed depending on the current situation. For example, if the roads are clear then you are set on a steady course, but if a car in front begins to slow down, then it will use the brakes to gently reduce speed. This helps to prevent any collisions.

4. Traffic Jam Assist

With our Traffic Jam Assist technology your vehicle can come to a stop and then accelerate again by itself when it detects a traffic jam. It does this by monitoring the car in front and automatically following its pattern.

6. Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) goes one step further than the Lane Departure Warning and actually corrects the driver’s position for them. By taking control of the wheel it adjusts the vehicle’s position to keep it within the lane markings.

However MG Europe describe it slightly differently MG Pilot safety features: how do they work?

Traffic Jam Assistance (TJA)

When Adaptive Cruise Control is turned on, Traffic Jam Assist continuously monitors the speed of the vehicle in the front. If the system detects dense traffic or a traffic jam at speeds below 60 km/h, the driver can activate TJA. The driver’s vehicle will automatically follow the vehicle in front, controlling its acceleration, braking and steering within the same lane.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom