MG Touch navigation - is it updated on PDI?

MikeW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi. Had my 5LR Exclusive about 3 weeks and noticed the Satnav software has a date of June 2020. I found a newer update online dated Jun 2021 but that was £££'s to purchase. Question is.. should the Satnav software version be fully updated by the dealer on PDI?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

PXL_20220320_151842071.jpg

Updates used to be free but I've seen posts here saying that the (mapping) company had withdrawn support or something?

I thought I saw the opposite a week or so back, someone put up a link and how-to didn't they? I certainly downloaded something in readiness in case I can ever be bothered to get round to it. I tend to use one of the many (superior) Android products!!

don't get hung up on that version , that's just the interface version not the maps if that makes sense ? if yours is the same as the hs you are able to update the maps to the latest version for free for 90 days after the car gets its 1st gps lock, so if your car is new down load the software and update the maps before then, when my hs was new it has 2019 maps on and was updated to q2 2021 ( in December) and has had a few tweak updates to do with charging locations etc since (long story short if your car is new get the free update even if you don't use it as its free lol)
20220302_145432.jpg

Attachments

• 20220302_142700.jpg
    20220302_142700.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 171
don't get hung up on that version , that's just the interface version not the maps if that makes sense ? if yours is the same as the hs you are able to update the maps to the latest version for free for 90 days after the car gets its 1st gps lock, so if your car is new down load the software and update the maps before then, when my hs was new it has 2019 maps on and was updated to q2 2021 ( in December) and has had a few tweak updates to do with charging locations etc since (long story short if your car is new get the free update even if you don't use it as its free lol) View attachment 7577
Hi and thanks for the info,that's really helpful.
Where do you download the software and map files please?

Cheers

Mike

Hi and thanks for the info,that's really helpful.
Where do you download the software and map files please?

Cheers

Mike

you will need to sign up to this site , pick your car, then download the tool box, get a usb stick , say a 16gb one , format in pc at fat32 (from memory) remove all sticks from car and put this one into slot 1 , on car radio settings , then system (from memory) there will be one saying update sat nav or similar, this will make a file on the stick , remove once complete , go back to laptop insert load the toolbox and proceed from there, once its down loaded and copied to usb , go back to car , same menu as above (update nav) and it wil search and update which can take ages

one piece advise i would give is make sure the car is in run as if like the hs it turns the radio off after so long as if its updating during this time will cause issue if that make sense

all above from memory so if you get stuck give me a shout

you will need to sign up to this site , pick your car, then download the tool box, get a usb stick , say a 16gb one , format in pc at fat32 (from memory) remove all sticks from car and put this one into slot 1 , on car radio settings , then system (from memory) there will be one saying update sat nav or similar, this will make a file on the stick , remove once complete , go back to laptop insert load the toolbox and proceed from there, once its down loaded and copied to usb , go back to car , same menu as above (update nav) and it wil search and update which can take ages

one piece advise i would give is make sure the car is in run as if like the hs it turns the radio off after so long as if its updating during this time will cause issue if that make sense

all above from memory so if you get stuck give me a shout
That's great, I'll give it a go later. Thanks very much 👍

I thought somebody had bricked their infotainment by trying to upgrade the nav. I might be wrong but I'm sure somebody posted issues recently.

I've tried twice tonight to update the nav system but unfortunately,after downloading the nav updates and inserting the USB stick in the car, it gets to approx half way on the "checking files" progress bar and reboots the infotainment screen without any updates being completed. Not sure what's going wrong but I may try again tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about bricking the infotainment system as Longrangedave mentioned. Thanks though for your help with this.

don't get hung up on that version , that's just the interface version not the maps if that makes sense ? if yours is the same as the hs you are able to update the maps to the latest version for free for 90 days after the car gets its 1st gps lock, so if your car is new down load the software and update the maps before then, when my hs was new it has 2019 maps on and was updated to q2 2021 ( in December) and has had a few tweak updates to do with charging locations etc since (long story short if your car is new get the free update even if you don't use it as its free lol) View attachment 7577
Thanks I presume that Above is the latest? photo of my 2022 HS Phev screen shows later date but that could be when it was built and the serial/version number last four digits are different again could because this is a HS PHEV? Have downloaded tool just need to do the bit in the car to prep the stick as and when I get a moment.

Attachments

• Nav screen.jpg
    Nav screen.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 243
You need to check and see if there is more than one update as there may be one for the maps themselves and another for EV charge points.

If there is more than one update showing you need to do one at a time. It does mean that it takes a bit longer but usually avoids the update aborting part way through.

I managed to get a couple of map updates in the first few months of ownership nut the only free updates now are for the EV charging station. Just updated to the Q 4 2021 update today.

You need to check and see if there is more than one update as there may be one for the maps themselves and another for EV charge points.

If there is more than one update showing you need to do one at a time. It does mean that it takes a bit longer but usually avoids the update aborting part way through.

I managed to get a couple of map updates in the first few months of ownership nut the only free updates now are for the EV charging station. Just updated to the Q 4 2021 update today.
Hi thanks. Yes I tried to do both maps and chargers together so I'll give them a try seperately.👍

Okay..so I managed to update the chargers first, which worked well. Then tried the map updates. Went well to start with, "checking files" passed okay this time but when applying updates it rebooted again. Only managed to update the first three maps. Think I'll try a different usb stick next time. Not sure why this is happening? I'll keep trying! Cheers for your help.

Have you got it in ready mode or equivalent? If not it would help keep the 12v battery charged and the voltage more consistent, plus disable any timers on the unit itself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom