MG Wall Charger: How Hot Does Yours Get?

Expat Ever

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I don't know if this is the same Wall Charger that comes with the car in other countries, but in Thailand this is the standard 7kW unit supplied and fitted as part of the price. It works OK, although the setup with my MG4 isn't smart enough to allow scheduling or capacity control, which is a shame. After about five months use it seems to be running hotter than before - I don't have a convenient temperature probe but as a rough guide you wouldn't choose to leave your palm on the lower right hand side of the case for more than half a minute after it's been charging for an hour or so.
20230924_144218.jpg

Other's experiences very welcome

Most UK owners will be providing their own charge box so you'll see a variety of suppliers.
There are no hot running problems I'm aware of but we are talking about rather different ambient temperatures!

I have a Zappi wall box, does not get at all warm even in the English summer..
However, after a few hours of passing 7KW to the car, the plug on the car end of the tethered cable does get a tad warm.
Sorry, not very helpful !

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus which is very small compared to some other wall boxes ... it barely gets warm nevermind hot.

I got an FNRIDS EV charger 7kw from Amazon for £166 and at full power it doesn't get warm at all. It's very well built with a decent sized cable.

FNRIDS EV Charger 7kW Type 2, 5M Electric Car Charger with Delay Timer, 10/16/20/24/32A Adjustable Current, EV Charger Cable with Commando Plug, IP67 Waterproof

• SUIT FOR OUTDOOR & INDOOR USE - IP67 water resistance and -30°C to +50°C operating temperature make this 32A commando EV charger stand all extreme weather indoors or outdoors, allowing you to enjoy the charging journey fully.

Last edited:
The installation is in a spacious car port protected from weather - I'll check to see if the manufacturer published a rating.
Looks like it's ip54 or less. Not really suitable for an outside installation, okay for buildings (garages etc) but not outside. I'd fit a minimum IP56 outside and considering it's carrying 7kw of load I'd want decent protection for it as the last thing you want is damp ingress into what is a relatively high powered (for a home) installation.

Last edited:
The EVSE unit should not get hot at any time. It has a couple of low voltage circuit boards in it and switch gear to start and stop the AC supply of up to 32 amps. The actual supply cable from the EVSE to the vehicle will get warm due to the high current as will the cable from your meter or distribution box to the unit itself. DC high VA chargers usually have liquid cooled delivery cables as there is quite a bit of heat generated by something delivering 350kW.

The unit in the photo looks like a ZJbeny or Tesla 7.4 kW EVSE unit to me.

My Ohme ePod wall charger is 5℃ hotter at case than wall at chill temperature of 10℃.

My isolator switch for charger with 6m㎡ cable is 7.4℃ hotter in understairs cupboard.

Before I install wall charger, I use TPLink energy monitor plug for smart charging with portable charger come with my MG ZS. Energy monitor plug could get 20℃ hotter while charging at 10A AC current.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel