MG ZS EV 2023 - 22kW to CCS converter

robmjones86

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello:

This might be a really thick question, and happy for an electrical engineer (or someone who gets it) to correct me around AC to DC and all that, but I'll ask anyway:

When I go to a public charging point there is always an AC connector, some seem to support up to 22kW, where as my ZS will only support 7kW. We have an awful charging network in North West Wales and have to queue to use the CCS port on occasions.

Is there such a thing as 22kW (type 2) cable to CCS? My thoughts are that the CCS port on the car handle the 22kW, therefore, in theory, with some sort of converter this should be possible?

Could some explain if this is possible and if so, where do I sign up for Dragon's Den? :)

Hello:

This might be a really thick question, and happy for an electrical engineer (or someone who gets it) to correct me around AC to DC and all that, but I'll ask anyway:

When I go to a public charging point there is always an AC connector, some seem to support up to 22kW, where as my ZS will only support 7kW. We have an awful charging network in North West Wales and have to queue to use the CCS port on occasions.

Is there such a thing as 22kW (type 2) cable to CCS? My thoughts are that the CCS port on the car handle the 22kW, therefore, in theory, with some sort of converter this should be possible?

Could some explain if this is possible and if so, where do I sign up for Dragon's Den? :)
No you can't do that.
AC uses the type2 socket and the CCS uses the lower two big pins.

CCS uses Direct Current through the Battery Management System straight into the traction battery.

All type 2 chargers use Alternating Current which feeds into the onboard inverter which then converts it to Direct Current. UK spec'd ZS's have a 7kW inverter for our single phase domestic supply.

So no, there is no adapter. Sorry.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom