shiremail

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello together,

the car will be in next month for a software update. Modern cars have lots of control units. So...I have the following questions:

Will all control units be updated during the process (if an update is available) or only those units who I reported issues with (can't charge at super charger etc.)? What was your experience when your local dealer updated your car?

I'm asking to avoid that the dealer will choose the short/fast route...

Bye.

In over three years of owning my MG ZS EV, my local MG Motors dealership never did a single software update, despite me asking if any were available when I took it in for its annual services. :confused:
Yet other people have had numerous software updates on their MG ZS EV's.

When booking in my car for its’ first service, I listed the modules that needed to be updated. The information came from members on this forum. Hopefully, they were all done. I know that V2L now works with the car switched off and locked, so at least the BCM module was updated.
According to the service book, dealers should check for any updates, but I don’t think it hurts to be specific and list what is needed.

My dealer assured me all software updates had been done when my car was serviced last month. ;)
I specifically asked about the CSS? CCS? update for charging at Tesla superchargers, but as yet I haven't been able to test it.

Angry GIF

The 5 modules that need to be updated are VCU EVCC CCU BMS and BCM. I don’t know which relates to the Tesla incompatibility issue. I haven’t had any opportunity to see if my car will connect to Tesla EVSEs - I don’t think there are any nearby, and I manage with charging at home.
The CCS refers to the ‘plug’ type - the MG has CCS 2, which will work with Tesla, provided the necessary update has been carried out.

Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but how do you know that these modules need updates?
You don’t !.
When the dealer connects your car to the diagnostic computer, it then searches for any updates that relates / align to the VIN number of that car !.
Then the computer will cross check and advise of any software updates if the car requires any updates are advised.

My Mk1 is now 4 yeats old. We had an initial update done around Covid time (clock and GOM display etc), but at the next service I specifically asked that no updates were done because there was a batch of faulty updates. About a year later that had been sorted and it was updated again (revised GOM calculation system). Now it needs its second MOT so will probably be updated again?

In over three years of owning my MG ZS EV, my local MG Motors dealership never did a single software update, despite me asking if any were available when I took it in for its annual services. :confused:
Yet other people have had numerous software updates on their MG ZS EV's.
Did you go back to the same one…

Did you go back to the same one…

Yes, they were all done at the dealership I bought the car from (Wigan MG Motors Chaplehouse) They said if it needs any software updates when it's connected to MG's computer it will get them.
When I collected the car I always asked if any had been done & they always said none done, it doesn't need any!!! It seems a bit hit & miss to me who had them done.

Yes, they were all done at the dealership I bought the car from (Wigan MG Motors Chaplehouse) They said if it needs any software updates when it's connected to MG's computer it will get them.
When I collected the car I always asked if any had been done & they always said none done, it doesn't need any!!! It seems a bit hit & miss to me who had them done.
I’d have tried another dealership as it could be their policy not to update cars. I work in a service department for electronic repairs and my boss says not to update units in for repair since it could create issues. My previous boss told me to always update the firmware to the latest version.

I’d have tried another dealership as it could be their policy not to update cars. I work in a service department for electronic repairs and my boss says not to update units in for repair since it could create issues. My previous boss told me to always update the firmware to the latest version.

I think you're absolutely right about them not doing any software updates because it might cause issues, It was around the time of of covid & some faulty updates which caused a lot of grief at the time to some owners.
My car is still on the original 455V & wont charge unless the doors are locked but it's never really caused me any hassle & it's ran perfectly from day one for me.

Yes, I had doubts after the faulty software issues, which I avoided. But I did have later updates including the revised GOM calculation which I think is an improvement.

FWIW, I recently had my 2022 MG ZS EV in for its first '3k courtesy service' (yes, does come as an incentive with some dealerships). In doing so, they automatically applied all of the most recent sw update campaigns:

CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVCCU - CCU CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING
CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVEVCC - EVCC SOFTWARE UPDATE
CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVDRLK - DOOR LOCK INSPECTION

Head unit SW reads as 91.1.0.5. Can't say I've noticed any differences in any features or performance.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom