MG ZS EV LR Tyre Issues

Lucca

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I took delivery of a new ZS LR last week and suffered an unrepairable puncture in the first 50 miles, so far no real problem - I left the screw in the tyre and it held pressure sufficient to get me to the tyre shop. Although I had bought the space saver wheel I had luckily also taken the original inflator from the dealer (I had to ask for it). At the tyre shop it transpired that the OE tyres on this vehicle are Michelin 215/55 R17 Primacy3 ST and this tyre is not available in the UK. It was apparently made for the Asian market only according to Michelin. My dealer has been very helpful and spoke with Michelin a number of times asking what was a comparable tyre because EVs seemingly (and I was unaware of this despite running an MG5 LR for the last year) require tyres with thicker side walls to cope with the torque. Michelin refused to commit to a substitute tyre eventually saying that the Primacy4 was probably the nearest but would be noisier and that a new Eco tyre would be available in 2 weeks and that might do. MG, of course, have yet to respond. I think my position is that I want a substitute tyre to go with the remaining Primacy3 STs either approved by Michelin or MG because mixing tyres can cause problems and there could be liability issues by fitting an unapproved tyre. MG should not, I believe, have introduced a vehicle into the UK without ensuring a supply of compatible and approved consumables. Anyone else had similar issues??

This issue seems to affect all of the models.
The size and load index is specified in the handbook and there's a wide range of compatible tyres you can buy. I think I'd buy a pair and sell the spare original because there will almost certainly be a market for it as you demonstrate here.
As a matter of interest, how did you determine that the puncture was not repairable?

Is this not a compatible replacement ?.

Michelin Primacy 3
215/55 R17 W (98)​

It is XL ( Heavy weight rated ).

You can get the Primacy 4 for a bit less.
OEM Load Index is 94.
I can’t understand why the OP can not use either one of these then as a direct replacement.
What am I missing 🤷‍♂️ here ?.
As you have said @Alb if there was an issue with using two different spec tyres on the same axle, then replace both and sell off the almost brand new unaffected tyre 🛞.

This issue seems to affect all of the models.
The size and load index is specified in the handbook and there's a wide range of compatible tyres you can buy. I think I'd buy a pair and sell the spare original because there will almost certainly be a market for it as you demonstrate here.
As a matter of interest, how did you determine that the puncture was not repairable?
The puncture was between tread and sidewall and thus deemed non-repairable. I asked if a plug would have worked but I was advised this is not an acceptable or safe repair.

Is this not a compatible replacement ?.

Michelin Primacy 3​

215/55 R17 W (98)​

It is XL ( Heavy weight rated ).

I would have thought so but seemingly not according to Michelin but of course I wait to hear what MG has to say. Frankly I would buy this tyre but I really would like either MG or Michelin to confirm compatibility and if MG are going to supply cars with not replicable replacement tyres in a relevant market they should, I believe, have a another tyre they at least sign off on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom