MG ZS EV MK1 and Ohme ePod

Rich27B

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,

I'm looking at a 2019 ZS EV as our first electric car. We've already got a Ohme ePod installed at home. I've read about the MK1 having problems with not being able to schedule charges with certain makes of charger. I'd really want to be able to schedule overnight charging. I've been trying to find a clear confirmation somewhere that I can do that with this combination but can't find a clear answer anyway. Can anyone help with confirming either way, please??

Thank you!

If you are buying from an MG dealership then check that all the updates have been done and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm looking at a 2019 ZS EV as our first electric car. We've already got a Ohme ePod installed at home. I've read about the MK1 having problems with not being able to schedule charges with certain makes of charger. I'd really want to be able to schedule overnight charging. I've been trying to find a clear confirmation somewhere that I can do that with this combination but can't find a clear answer anyway. Can anyone help with confirming either way, please??

Thank you!
I've just got an MG ZS Exclusive, had the ohme epod charger fitted last Thursday, you can schedule charges through the Ohme app, mine is currently set up to only charge when the tariff is 7.5p per kWh - I'm with Octopus Go - so that is every night between 11:30 and 05:30

Upvote 0
I've just got an MG ZS Exclusive, had the ohme epod charger fitted last Thursday, you can schedule charges through the Ohme app, mine is currently set up to only charge when the tariff is 7.5p per kWh - I'm with Octopus Go - so that is every night between 11:30 and 05:30
That is the IO Go tariff, so you should be letting Octopus do the scheduling not setting your own static schedule. The T&Csc state they can remove you from the tariff of you don't.

I got the 7.5p rate all afternoon and most of the early evening today.

Upvote 0
That is the IO Go tariff, so you should be letting Octopus do the scheduling not setting your own static schedule. The T&Csc state they can remove you from the tariff of you don't.

I got the 7.5p rate all afternoon and most of the early evening today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_060645_Octopus.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_060645_Octopus.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Err, not sure what that screen shot is for, we know it's in beta, which is probably why they are being lenient with allowing people to manually schedule at the moment.

I really don't know why people are against getting more cheap rate electricity than the default, just let Octopus set the times for you 🤷‍♂️

They send out an email with the predicted best days to charge for the next 5 days. If you can time your charging to match those days, then you very often get the cheap rate as soon as you plug the car in no matter what time of day.

Upvote 0
I have a 2020 ZS Exclusive on an Ohme ePod with Intelligent Octopus Go.
I have 1 schedule set - 99% by 8am. It all works fine.
Yesterday I plugged in the charger at 4.30pm, and it started charging immediately.
This morning I saw that I had been charged at the 7.5p rate from 4.30pm until 9.00am.
£1.64 for 22kWh. Active charging time during that 'window' was 3 hours.
So, do not panic when the moving blue lights come on. Octopus always charge the cheap rate when you let them choose when to charge your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
We got our 2021 ZS exclusive in September. We are also on Intelligent Octopus Go, with an Ohme charger and it works well, apart from a couple of quirks. The first being that you have to say what percentage you want to add each time to make it to 80% - difficult to assess when the car only tells you the miles left, not what percentage the battery is at. The second is that the app only remembers one vehicle currently, not much use when you have two EVs like us, they have to be reselected every time we change, but it’s apparently coming as part of the ongoing work they are doing on the app.
Finally, do make sure you make full use of the charging schedule worked out by Ohme. The tariff applies to everything using electricity when your car is connected and ‘charging’ 💰😊

Upvote 0
Hello,

Thank you!
I have the original ohme unit so your model may differ. Be careful, are you on Octopus 'Go' or Octopus intelligent Go? If the later, the tariff cap (7.5p) needs switching off, this allows occasional peak time charging at off peak rates. Confused? Speak with ohme /Octopus, good luck with that!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone. We picked up the car this weekend so will look forward to playing with it all over the coming weeks.

Reading the info on the Octopus and Ohme websites, I had thought I'd be able to set it up with two charging schedules:

One for weekdays with schedule to charge to 80% by, say, 7am
One for weekends with schedule to charge to 100% by 8am

Reflecting our usage and trying to minimise unnecessary 100% charges.

I'd though I could then plug it in and let IO Go work it out.

But it sounds like I'll need to mentally work out the % to add to reach 80% or 100% and put that as the schedule instead (e.g. add 40% by 8am) each time, because Ohme can't work properly with MG? But that's the only scheduling needed, skipping any price based or other timed schedules.

Is that about right??

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Sorry to keep asking stupid questions but...

I did the first charge last night, setting up a schedule of adding 100% by 6am, even thought it only needed about 40%> At around 6am the charging cover light was on solidly - so balancing I think - and has now switched off. On that basis it seems to have done what it should do and I've checked that the battery is fully charged.

What's confusing me is that the Ohme app is still showing the attached with the Current Charge still going up very slowly. I'd thought that there would be some sort of "charge ended" screen. Is this normal, because the MG and ePod can't talk to each other fully?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207-064306.png
    Screenshot_20231207-064306.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
When the charge ends, mine just flat lines until I unplug it, then the charge gets added to the stats with the correct cost (ish).

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom