MG ZS ev Range mark 1 to mark 2.

NickyJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All, I tried searching but failed to find the right answers (probably not quite getting keywords right!). Please accept my apologies if this has been discussed loads.

I have a MG ZS Gen 1 (version with roof bars / sunroof) on a salary sacrifice lease scheme. I am in my final year and with quoted lead times need to decide what to do next. I had been thinking of the Skoda Enyaq 80 for the over 300mile range and not needing to add roof box! However thats suddenly not available only 60 variant. Then the cost of the new ZS to me dropped further.... on paper really looks very tempting. But quoted range is below what I was hoping for.

So my question. With my Gen 1. On drives with decent percentage of motorway driving I find 100miles is the practical limit. What do people find in reality on the Gen 2 larger battery?

Anybody else done the upgrade? How did you find it in comparison?

Probably should have added in UK in case makes a difference. Another question is one of temptation is the skoda is compatible witb octop Intelligent.... what do people think chances of new MG ZS ever being added? Ie is there any control of charging levels or times from car? Also does the new model actually tell you battery percentage without plugging in and starting a charge?

LR Tophy Connect

Summer Motorway - about 240
Winter Motorway - about 170

These are the maximum of what I would drive before I would want to charge so as to not risk running out. Obviously I follow the maxim, if on a long journey, of charge whenever you stop if you can.

If arriving home where I am guaranteed a chargepoint I may go further.

That's driving in ECO at about 60 to 65. Using MG Pilot ACC.

I use heaters and a/c only when required. If I am not cold or hot I dont have them on.

Range around town where I am only doing short journeys doesnt really concern me too much as I wont ever be running out. In summer miles per kwh in town is always above 4. In the very depths of winter in the minus temps its around 3 , usually due to short journeys and the battery not heating up.

I did 208 miles up the M5 and back in September, with 5 people in the car.

At 65 mph I got 3.6 m/kWh with no charging stops and I got home with 14% left if I remember correctly.

Thanks both. Very useful. I always try and minimise AC but do find difficult in wet weather and family of 4 in car.

Hi Nicky.
In answer to your question, yes I have owned both Gen 1 and now the long range model of the Gen of the ZS EV and covered about 30,000 miles in both cars.
The updated model IMO is a better car, especially with regards to range of course.
On the long range model you can set a percentage of charge you would like to reach and of course you can time the delayed charge for off peak charging via the App our in the head unit.
Also, it will tell you the remaining battery percentage in the dash panel while driving.
It has the NMC battery chemistry on the long range model.
For general use, I usually charge upto 80% SOC which offered a predicted range of 212 miles.
So, ZS EV or Skoda 80 ….. ???????.
Well, I have never driven the Skoda but have owned a number of VW’s in the past and I personally feel that the build quality is better myself.
That’s not to say that the Gen2 is poor, but I have I never been disappointed with the VAG group cars.
I have not checked, but I expect the price of the Skoda to be more expensive ?.
It has received some really good reviews.
The improvements on the Gen2 model and the extra range were very welcomed TBH.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

Hi Nicky.
In answer to your question, yes I have owned both Gen 1 and now the long range model of the Gen of the ZS EV and covered about 30,000 miles in both cars.
The updated model IMO is a better car, especially with regards to range of course.
On the long range model you can set a percentage of charge you would like to reach and of course you can time the delayed charge for off peak charging via the App our in the head unit.
Also, it will tell you the remaining battery percentage in the dash panel while driving.
It has the NMC battery chemistry on the long range model.
For general use, I usually charge upto 80% SOC which offered a predicted range of 212 miles.
So, ZS EV or Skoda 80 ….. ???????.
Well, I have never driven the Skoda but have owned a number of VW’s in the past and I personally feel that the build quality is better myself.
That’s not to say that the Gen2 is poor, but I have I never been disappointed with the VAG group cars.
I have not checked, but I expect the price of the Skoda to be more expensive ?.
It has received some really good reviews.
The improvements on the Gen2 model and the extra range were very welcomed TBH.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks so much. Very helpful! Yes the skoda is lots more but longer range (would allow us to do return trip to the in-laws for example) and better capacity will allow holiday trips without a roof box.... so although more, gives us more.... saying that for the everyday driving love the MG.... aside from glitcheness of connecting phone to android auto. Is that just me????

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom