MG ZS EV VIN Number Check

nomadbob1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Morning,
I'm a fleet manager and we have recently added an MG ZS EV Lux to our fleet.
The driver is reporting range issues, so I have taken the car to trial it.
I usually drive a Hyundai Ioniq EV and have averaged 4.2 miles/kW over the 31k miles I have driven it.
The MG appears to struggle to reach to 2.5 miles/kW on the same journeys, being driven in the same manner by myself.
On a full charge, the car is stating a range of 160 miles at present.
It is supposed to be a Long Range, but I'm not sure how to check if it is or not.
Scrolling through the menu, I found under vehicle information that the car is noted as ZS EV LUX, with VIN of LSJW74099PZ222360.
Is there anyone who have a Long Range who can check what the vehicle information shows their car as ?
Should the Long Range be noted on there ?
Is there a way of checking the VIN to see if the car is actually a Long Range ?

Given that the range of 160 miles could be accurate for this time of year for a "normal" battery vehicle, I'm wondering if perhaps the vehicle we have been supplied is not actually a Long Range.

We have the car booked into the local dealer next month for a health check, but I like to do my own fact finding rather than rely upon often ill-informed service departments.

Any assistance would be appreciated, Bob.

Hi there, and welcome to a brilliant forum.

Some simple maths will answer your question.

You are getting 2.5 miles per kWh, which in winter is relatively normal. If you multiply that by the 68kWh usable battery, it gives you 170 miles.

I also had an Ioniq, which is a bit of an "air knife" when it comes to cutting through the air. :)

Last edited:
I think you are comparing Apples with Oranges.
A short term assessment in the middle of Winter doesn't represent average yearly consumption.
I'm getting low 3.x at the moment on my MG5 but my whole year average for 2023 was 4.3.

Easy to check. Go into your battery app on the infotainment and see if you can set the battery to 80%. If you can it is long range, if this function is not there it is standard range

Thanks all.
We generally see a 25% reduction in range in our EV fleet (Tesla, ID3, Citroen, Hyundai, Mustang etc) in winter time.
It looks like we have roughly a 40% drop in range. (possibly 25% weather and 15% driver ?).
What Car reported a "real" range of 246 being possible (presumably in good conditions).
The battery does show the option to be set at 80%, so presumably it is a Long Range after all.

If you can set at 80% its long range. 170 miles range for 100% seems low unless its say minus 5 and you are doing motorway speed's or very short journeys where the battery hadn't had time to heat up.

Thanks for all your replies.
Having carried out an experiment myself, it does appear to be a driver issue.
I charged the car fully when I got it and the range showed only 160 miles.
Over the week, I averaged 2.87 mile/kWh in northeast Scotland, covering 176 miles.
I charged the car fully last night and the range is now showing as 196 miles.
It has been cold (but just above freezing) and the only thing I haven't encountered was rain (wiper use), so things should only get better !

Last edited by a moderator:
That would sound about right. Keeping the heater always on will also eat range. Note I dont want to be cold but once the car is warm enough I will turn it off or down. I then just switch heating and heated seats on and off as required when it gets too cold again. I dont keep it on all the time in the 20s temp range. If my house is fine at 19, my car is also.

Thanks for all your replies.
Having carried out an experiment myself, it does appear to be a driver issue.
I charged the car fully when I got it and the range showed only 160 miles.
Over the week, I averaged 2.87 mile/kWh in northeast Scotland, covering 176 miles.
I charged the car fully last night and the range is now showing as 196 miles.
It has been cold (but just above freezing) and the only thing I haven't encountered was rain (wiper use), so things should only get better !
So, do you have standard range or a long range ?.
This was your part of your original post 👍.

I think he says at #5 that he can set the battery charging to 80%, and concludes it is a LR.
I only asked for clarification, because the 196 miles of predicted range after a full charge, looks closer to the figures from a standard range model, rather than a long range battery model 🔋 ( trips reset of course ).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom