MG4 Essence Music App Fails

CMack

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Second post for today, busy troubleshooting various tech issues on my new Aus MG4 Essence;

MG music app not connecting- sometimes…
Driving along, pressed Music app button, only options were:
1. BT Music
2. Online Music and
3. USB Music

All radio stations are programmed including digital. Normally I’d see the channel options and the car would auto play last channel when turning Music app on.

Today, nothing.

On the driver dash display screen, it’s also ‘blank’, just the music note symbol.

Turned on, off, pressed all the buttons, in out on off, etc. still nothing.

Then… it did connect to digital radio, last station. It showed the station on the main display, but did not show the radio was on on the driver display screen, still ‘blank’ with music note.

Anyone had this issue, is it the car, or me? Photos attached for info.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 41
I have a Trophy somaybe different. When you say the Music App button do you me the panel on the home display. Did you cycle through the options (radio/BT music/Online music/USBmusic) using the top < > symbols on that panel? If you touch the panel when it is in music mode it will display a page with only the music tabs and not radio.

In the UK I sometimes lose my favourite channel and there is no sound. As regards the driver's display, did you try toggling left/right ircancelling the music display to refresh the screen?

Second post for today, busy troubleshooting various tech issues on my new Aus MG4 Essence;

MG music app not connecting- sometimes…
Driving along, pressed Music app button, only options were:
1. BT Music
2. Online Music and
3. USB Music

All radio stations are programmed including digital. Normally I’d see the channel options and the car would auto play last channel when turning Music app on.

Today, nothing.

On the driver dash display screen, it’s also ‘blank’, just the music note symbol.

Turned on, off, pressed all the buttons, in out on off, etc. still nothing.

Then… it did connect to digital radio, last station. It showed the station on the main display, but did not show the radio was on on the driver display screen, still ‘blank’ with music note.

Anyone had this issue, is it the car, or me? Photos attached for info.
I occasionally start up and the radio stations are not displayed and unavailable,
But if I go to FM it usually works and also wakes it up! I then go back to DAB and it’s all there again.

I had a weird one last night. I was happily listening to my USB stick when the audio suddenly switched to the radio for no apparent reason. I didn't like what the radio was playing one tiny little bit. I was only six miles from home and it wasn't worth stopping to reset the thing, so I just cranked the volume down to zero with the physical button. (The mute on the joystick didn't work.)

When I got home I discovered that the USB player had paused itself exactly where it had been when the radio kicked in. No idea what that was all about, but it's the only time it's happened in nearly ten months.

Three or four times I've had the USB player flip back to the start of the stick rather than going to the next track, but again that seems random and infrequent.

I wondered about that, because I could have done. I was making a left turn at the time. But toggling that button should have flipped the track forward or back, not changed the source, surely.

Yes, you are correct. I couldn't get it to switch input sources however I toggled the button. The only method seems to be the arrow buttons on the info display.

If you were listening to opera, any chance it triggered the MG voice control to switch on the radio. My wife said O M G quietly when viewing and errant driver and Ms MG reacted.

Isn't there a setting somewhere where the radio can interrupt when traffic reports are given? I haven't used that for a long time (now we have Google/Apple maps etc.) but I remember that sometimes used to interrupt at odd times and occasionally didn't "switch off".

Yes there are ... click on the Media tile while the radio is selected, then click on the cog wheel icon roughly in the middle of the screen - that brings up the options menu you talk of, and Traffic etc. can be turned off in there.

Sorry to kick an older thread back to the top - but I have a similar problem since my update to R46.
The FM Traffic Announcement stuff from the radio all reset to ON each time I get in the car! I don’t want them on and each time I’ve gone through and unchecked all the switches to OFF for both DAB and FM they reset each time! I know I can cancel it each time it kicks in, but on my commute it kicks in 3 times in 5 mins from different stations.

It never did this on R33 (Trophy LR).

Anyone else have this problem? Or even better know a fix??

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 509 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back