MG4 rear camera

There's a few differences between MY22 (Phase 1) and MY23 (Phase 2).... including infotainment releases. you can tell you r vehicle - if it has a rear wiper, it's phase 2...
Sounds like every model in Australia is based on a Phase 2 then (since they all have a rear wiper) but then with the other localised changes like all having the rear camera etc

There's a few differences between MY22 (Phase 1) and MY23 (Phase 2).... including infotainment releases. you can tell you r vehicle - if it has a rear wiper, it's phase 2...
I have a MY23 (Phase 2), has rear wiper and centre read headrest but no reversing camera, which combined with somewhat poor rear visibility is rather sketchy but since my old diesel banger had no cameras I dont sense a loss. I can imagine others might. Also it seems other markets now include rear camera in base models. Can imagine with sales through the roof the additional cost might be negated by even more sales of the EV for the masses.

Also it seems other markets now include rear camera in base models.
Yep we had to wait a long time before it was released here compared to other countries so I guess that was the compromise… wait longer but at least get an updated build and lower price point.

I've taken today my MG4 to the dealer to have a rearview camera installed. I chose to go through the dealer because, according to the warranty terms, I couldn't install it myself or use an unauthorized service. The cost is quite high though, around €500. Once I get it back, I'll post some pictures to show you how it turned out.

Here are the results. I still get the bip sound as usual. If I had to say something, it would be that I would prefer to see a bit higher and that I would like to see which sensor is closer to the obstacle.

Attachments

• 20231209_112047.jpg
    20231209_112047.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 177
  • 20231209_112039.jpg
    20231209_112039.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 182
Here are the results. I still get the bip sound as usual. If I had to say something, it would be that I would prefer to see a bit higher and that I would like to see which sensor is closer to the obstacle.
This looks the same as the aliexpress one. Did you buy the camera from there and the dealer installed it for you?

Unfortunately, even in Italy, SE is without a camera, which is the reason for my purchase. I ordered the camera from AliExpress, but I don't think I will be brave enough to install it immediately. They will deliver the car next Tuesday, and I will wait a couple of months to make sure there are no issues and to ensure that they don't attribute any warranty issues to the camera modification.

I hope that in the meantime, some brave soul has already taken many photos of the assembly process.
I too, 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Reversing Camera from AliExpress part fitted and looks good.

Video on removing the glovebox and connecting up the electronics to the infotainment is here

This is the AliExpress item I ordered here, make sure you order the one with the camera and not the cheapest one as that doesn't have the camera just the electronics.

Still to fit the camera next to the boot release as per factory, but had it all working loose in the footwell. I'll get the camera fitted and post a follow on vid - ran out of time to complete.

Beeps are still heard going into reverse, no action required from driver - just all happens as factory, steering lines bend as you turn the wheel.

Part two of my effort to install is here and covers the back of the car, including removing the boot lid spoiler - without forcing the white clips.

Part three is here, removing the back seat and routing the cable to the front of the car.

The AleExpress unit I ordered is here but yes it does currently indicate that it can't be ordered. I'm sure I spotted other sellers providing it.

I'm very happy with the result, I'd say the only special tools used would be a hose clamp tool like this and some pry tools. If I did it again, I'd pay very particular attension to the camera and buy one with some adjustment of the camera eyeball, not critical but I've a white car and at night the top of the bumper is very bright.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom