MG4 SE issues (warning lights and error messages)

hannahmnlee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I got My MG4 SE last year August.. by November I was getting all sorts of warning lights on the dash.. (I'd only done 1800 miles on it) from sensor errors, to all exterior and interior lights on the vehicle shutting off, random emergency braking as if there is something in the road but there’s nothing, to HV battery failure light. Took it to MG they said they couldn’t find anything and that the car was fine. I had pictures to show them .. they said they couldn’t replicate the errors and it must have been a one off. By the time I drove home and plugged the car in a further 8 or so error messages flashed up on the dash..
MG keep saying the car's fine.. but it’s obviously not? I’m starting to feel like I’m going crazy and they won’t acknowledge the pictures or my experience to test the vehicle further. Has anyone had any issues like this with their MG4 SE at all please?

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5321.jpeg
    IMG_5321.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 47
This is a disaster and I hope it is not stressing you out too much. I do not have a answer just a few questions that might help to find the problem.

Do the errors only occur when driving or just after powering up?

Did the dealer drive the car over a good distance or did they just do a static plug-in test? Insist they go with you on a drive.

Are the 12v battery terminals tight?

Do you have the iSmart App? Does that show any error messages?

My thoughts are towards a dodgy connection but unless the dealer is prepared to spend time and money investigating the problem you are going to face opposition. If you are desperate you could pay for a hour's technician time travelling in the car; they may give it back if they see the faults.

I also have the SE SR and I have never had this. I get the auto-hold fault randomly but not often, and the only emergency braking has happened for a plausible reason. I have never switched it off. The car has done about 8,500 miles and I've had it a year.

There is something very far wrong with your car and your dealer is negligent.

Sounds like it needs to be plugged in at the dealer and all updates applied.
They didn’t even say whether they plugged it in or not. They just said they plugged in a cable and it worked fine. Then they asked me if I was using an authentic apple charge and if my iPhone was updated.. I said yes to both and then they said well everything is fine and can I come and collect the car.

I also have the SE SR and I have never had this. I get the auto-hold fault randomly but not often, and the only emergency braking has happened for a plausible reason. I have never switched it off. The car has done about 8,500 miles and I've had it a year.

There is something very far wrong with your car and your dealer is negligent.
It’s been in a few times and they’ve done a quick road test. They did say oh they would let the manager drive home with it and test it over a prolonged period, however they turned around and said they wouldn’t be doing that after all. Then asked me to come and collect the car.

The next dealership is over 30 miles away, but I’m just going to go there.. it’s even worse because you can only get an appointment 4 weeks from when you request one lol !! So I booked in today and my appointment is on June 16 LOL

This is a disaster and I hope it is not stressing you out too much. I do not have a answer just a few questions that might help to find the problem.

Do the errors only occur when driving or just after powering up?

Did the dealer drive the car over a good distance or did they just do a static plug-in test? Insist they go with you on a drive.

Are the 12v battery terminals tight?

Do you have the iSmart App? Does that show any error messages?

My thoughts are towards a dodgy connection but unless the dealer is prepared to spend time and money investigating the problem you are going to face opposition. If you are desperate you could pay for a hour's technician time travelling in the car; they may give it back if they see the faults.
It really is a disaster it’s so upsetting too!

The problems are intermittent, so they happen randomly. Only one time it happened when I was powering up, another time I was just driving on the dual carriage and it started to randomly break and stop and slow down and all sorts and the roads were clear.. I’m used to the adaptive breaking when there are other cars around etc..

They suggested they would do a long road test then never went through with it.

They didn’t do a static plug in test.. they just said they hooked it up and nothing was showing up.. even though I had a bunch of pictures

Terminals seem pretty steady to me

I’ve also never checked the app so that’s a great suggestion !!

The car is lease vehicle so everything is being done under warranty. I believe it’s an electrical issue but they won’t take me seriously at all

I'm trying to think if anyone else has come on here reporting similar, but I'm not sure. There have been issues that sounded similar, but I don't think they were the same.

It could be worth trying the old "turn it off and turn it on again" trick. Disconnect the 12v battery and leave it disconnected for maybe half an hour (not sure about the time). When you reconnect there are things you need to do to calibrate the electric windows and the steering wheel, but there are instructions elsewhere on the forum about how to do that.

It may not work, it may need some comprehensive software re-installation, but it's worth a try, can't do any harm.

Sounds like it needs to be plugged in at the dealer and all updates applied.
They said they did this back in feb but didn’t do it again when I took it in this time
I'm trying to think if anyone else has come on here reporting similar, but I'm not sure. There have been issues that sounded similar, but I don't think they were the same.

It could be worth trying the old "turn it off and turn it on again" trick. Disconnect the 12v battery and leave it disconnected for maybe half an hour (not sure about the time). When you reconnect there are things you need to do to calibrate the electric windows and the steering wheel, but there are instructions elsewhere on the forum about how to do that.

It may not work, it may need some comprehensive software re-installation, but it's worth a try, can't do any harm.
thank so much I will definitely try this!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back