MG4 service - what is covered? Low vs high mileage

I was prepared to pay for the service to get the software updates. They did the one that improves the ACC, and the one that lets the car pre-heat while plugged in but not charging, but despite me practically setting it to music and performing it to them as a song-and-dance act, they didn't update the infotainment software. Seriously unhappy camper here, to be continued.

I was prepared to pay for the service to get the software updates….
That was my strategy too, but I booked online with no option for adding comments. When I took it in they said they had only scheduled time for the service so I would have to book for ‘fault diagnosis’ some other time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at possibly taking out a service plan and note on the MG website that they suggest different levels of service based on annual milage. EG below 10K per year, and 15K per year.

On the higher milage plan the key batteries are shown as included 2nd and 4th years, but on the lower milage plan there is no mention of the key batteries.

Similarly brake fluid change is included on Y2 and Y4 for the higher milage plans, but is only reccomended Y2 and Y4 for the lower milage schedules. Does this make sence.

When getting a quote for a service plan, there is no way to select annual milage. I would have expected the option for below 10K, and upto 15K.

Do you know what is included in the annual services, in addition to AA roadside assistance and MOTs Y3 onwards. (MOTs are an additional cost).
Thanks
I have MG HS PHEV and I booked my service for July a few weeks ago, this is my last service on by service plan. I asked about a replacement plan and the dealer said as only have 15000 at 3 years it many better to save the money I spend on the plan as I do low mileage.

A main consideration though is ... what's the warranty length? You need to keep to the service schedule to maintain warranty, which may be important for an EV with a long battery warranty period. (7 years for the MG4).

That was my strategy too, but I booked online with no option for adding comments. When I took it in they said they had only scheduled time for the service so I would have to book for ‘fault diagnosis’ some other time.

I emailed them at the time I booked the service, AND there was an opportunity to add comments on their check-in screen so I put it there too.

My b ugbear with garage servicing is when they spray the hinges with this white grease. It doesn't get into the wear surfaaces it just hands on the outdide of the hinges and looks a mess. A good thin oil like hydraulic oil is much better as it penetrates into the moving wear parts of the hinges and locks.

I bypassed the MG service booking system by ringing the garage and letting it ring through the options twice, then I get the local switchboard and I can talk to the actual people there (not a call centre) and I've been able to combine fault finding with servicing, then I follow up with a printed page summarising everything I want them to look at and I ask to go through it with the lead technician when I hand over the keys.

So far this has worked really well.

I did all that short of actually going over it with the technician on the day. I'm not sure what I'd have done if he'd told me to my face I wasn't getting R33.

I bypassed the MG service booking system by ringing the garage and letting it ring through the options twice, then I get the local switchboard and I can talk to the actual people there (not a call centre) and I've been able to combine fault finding with servicing, then I follow up with a printed page summarising everything I want them to look at and I ask to go through it with the lead technician when I hand over the keys.

So far this has worked really well.
My local dealer publishes two local numbers; one for car sales and one for service. I phoned their service one and it went straight to their central (head office?) booking system. After they completed the service they phoned to tell me it was ready for collection so now I have a third number to try.

My local dealer publishes two local numbers; one for car sales and one for service. I phoned their service one and it went straight to their central (head office?) booking system. After they completed the service they phoned to tell me it was ready for collection so now I have a third number to try.
So I tried that number today to make a 'bug fix' booking, since they failed to do investigate my list of faults I provided when I took the car for its first service. Unfortunately the new number took me to the Head Office call centre again. I was asked what issues needed attention so I said I had a list (a full page of A4) and I offered to email it. I had to read out a synopsis instead :(
Oh - And I checked with MG Assistance today. My cover wasn't renewed after my service.

Had my MG4 Trophy serviced this morning. £120 to check the coolant levels really. Could have taken a photograph and sent it to them!!
I see it more as a charge for the 1 year MG Assistance cover (Just a shame the dealer didn't register it :cautious:. I'll have to phone to follow-up on Monday)

So I tried that number today to make a 'bug fix' booking, since they failed to do investigate my list of faults I provided when I took the car for its first service. Unfortunately the new number took me to the Head Office call centre again. I was asked what issues needed attention so I said I had a list (a full page of A4) and I offered to email it. I had to read out a synopsis instead :(
Oh - And I checked with MG Assistance today. My cover wasn't renewed after my service.
It was worse than I thought. The ‘excuse’ for the dealer not renewing my MG Assistance cover is a knock-on effect of it not been registered correctly last year. (Although it’s difficult to understand how they didn’t notice last year’s error on this year’s renewal :unsure::rolleyes:).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back