MG4 SR SE using Tesla supercharger

DevonMG4

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Apologies if this has been covered but a search of the MG4 forum never revealed this topic.
First long trip today, Cornish border to Reading and back. Was within a mile of the Wokingham Tesla chargers so just had to give it a go. Bit of a non event really, got us to 80% and set off home. A Tesla driver had to take a sneaky peak at the back of the car to see who this interloper was.
Installed app, entered a card, save home address, turned up, plunged in, used app to start Non-Tesla charging, having already selected the site, entered post number, start charging on the App & and clunk click off it went.
There's only two test sites I believe south of the M4 east west line but it's another option, let's hope the whole network is opened up. Worth a go just for the look of disbelief on the Tesla drivers faces

Attachments

• PXL_20221111_135954325.jpg
    PXL_20221111_135954325.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 219
seen that this is starting to creep into other ev charge providers which is a bit of a P take , its like the fossil fuel garages doing this to get reduced fuel,( ignore the supermarket incentive that's different) and is ok if you are going to use a regular ev charge provider plus use regularly enough to make it worthwhile.

What was the cost per kWh ?
Looking back in the app, it was £0.76/kWh so just mildly fruity for a public charge, could've gone to Reading M4 services and saved £3.20 but that wasn't the point. It's a blue sky morning here in West Devon and the car is plugged in for a slow slow charge at £0.00/kWh thanks to Mr Sunshine. It all evens out!

For clarity, South of a line east/west through London there's only two Tesla test sites that will charge Non-Tesla cars according to their website a couple of days ago.

Started charge at 20% and arround 77kw got to 80% in under 30 mins, past 80% it was really starting to slow, in the order of 23kw, the screen said another 45 min to 100%, hadn't touched ANY settings, knocked it on the head at 84%. Reached Moto Exeter's fantastic 15 or so chargers on 10% and 20 miles. Charger ramped up to about 87kw initially.

A successful first MG4 trip beyond charge range. It's given me a lot of confidence in the range remaining prediction. I think my strategy will be get down to 10-20% charge head for the better chargers and fill to no more than 80%. Once you've visited the loo and bought a cup of tea, it's time to go again.

If you download the free tesla app, it tells you the costs in the app, here in spain its 71 cents per kwh pay as you go and its cheaper 55 cents kwh if you pay a monthly fee
Yes, UK membership is £11 / month and I think £0.5x per kWh. With one site within 200 miles I don't think I'll be taking membership yet.

But this was an experiment to explore future potential

According to Google maps 157 miles yes, 98% motorway M4 & M5, Tesla Mill Lane Wokingham, M4 J11, Exeter M5 services, 84% at start of journey leg10% at end.
Speed nominally 65, faster down hill and slower up - never less than 60 and never more than would trigger a speed camera. Abandoned the cruise control on this leg and paid attention to the equivalent of the instantaneous mpg to maximise efficiency, this was not an economy test, it was not a chore it's just as the mood took me, next time it may be 25°C on the heater and 70+ all the way. The heater was not needed and it was not raining.
Before the M4/M5 interchange average was 3.8m/kWh, then we hit traffic and it went to 4.1, at exeter it was back to 4.0.
So in answer to your question, yes, 160 miles on 74%, but I'd plan for less, perhaps 3.7m/kWh.
I really wanted to try the chargers at Exeter services, but if we hadn't hit traffic I doubt we'd have made it, or it would have been extremely squeaky pants. I had taken note of all the suitable charge sites down the M5 (zap map) and would just have pulled off earlier, so it was zero anxiety.
But an interesting first EV & MG4 trip beyond charge range at 420 miles in the day.

Last edited:
Yes, UK membership is £11 / month and I think £0.5x per kWh. With one site within 200 miles I don't think I'll be taking membership yet.

There lies the question, do you need rapid chargers close to home or do you need them further afield?

There lies the question, do you need rapid chargers close to home or do you need them further afield?
Good question and I think the answer is both. Further afield so you can charge up quickly on long journeys and closer to home if you need to do a journey that you hadn't planned for and had let the battery run down.

Yes here in Spain it's also 10.99 pounds per month to join and 55 euro cents per kWh. Bizarly that they have the monthly fee in pounds and the kWh in euros. That should please everybody who lives in spain. The nearest supercharger to me is not in the test unfortunately.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back