brianharries

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
After several updates in the summer, my MG4 Trophy scheduling and the ‘charge to’ limiter on the infotainment system (and the App) has been rendered unusable. I have just come back from the dealers after a service and software update and it is still unusable!! The dealer says he has to refer the problem to MG. Help! Any other users with a similar problem?? I (not my wife) am not impressed by me getting out of bed at 12:30am and 4:30am respectively to connect and disconnect my charging cable to take advantage of the Octopus EV tariff 😞

After several updates in the summer, my MG4 Trophy scheduling and the ‘charge to’ limiter on the infotainment system (and the App) has been rendered unusable. I have just come back from the dealers after a service and software update and it is still unusable!! The dealer says he has to refer the problem to MG. Help! I have eliminated the Charger by trying the same with the ‘granny’ charger. As soon as I plug either cable into the car, the car socket turns to green and starts charging, completely ignoring the set schedule. Any other users with a similar problem?? I (not my wife) am not impressed by me getting out of bed at 12:30am and 4:30am respectively to connect and disconnect my charging cable to take advantage of the Octopus EV tariff 😞

What charger do you have?
I do all the scheduling on the charger (ohme in my case) and leave the car in “accept charge when you’re given it” mode.

Thank you. I have an old (non-programmable) 7 kW Charger. However, the 2.3 kW ‘Granny Charger’ mirrors exactly the same problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it doesn't help with the problem with the car but perhaps its time to upgrade your charger to an Ohme so Octopus can control the charging and you can stay in bed.

Thankyou. I agree. If MG cannot get a fix for this problem, this will be my next step, ensuring a good nights sleep for all! 😊. Your support is appreciated!

Try holding down the manual home button for approx 20 seconds until the system re-starts, i have found this cures most issues.

Try holding down the manual home button for approx 20 seconds until the system re-starts, i have found this cures most issues.
I have just gone out to the car and done as you have suggested, but alas, it has not worked. I appreciate the suggestion and how it might solve other issues I may have tho’ and the time it has taken for you to reply. Thank you.

Are you using iSmart? This might overwrite the schedule set in the car.
I have both the iSmart and the Car Scheduling program set to the same times. Are you suggesting I deinstall ISmart from the car perhaps? Thank you for you helpful comments. Appreciated.

I have had my car a couple of weeks and scheduled three off peak charges through the app not the car. Touch wood all worked fine, I have not programmed through the car. May I suggest you clear timings in both, then just use the app to programme time and percentage, remembering to save, then slide scheduled timing button across and save again. I have a BP wall charger which is programmable but I let the car set the timings. Hopefully you resolve soon👍

I have had my car a couple of weeks and scheduled three off peak charges through the app not the car. Touch wood all worked fine, I have not programmed through the car. May I suggest you clear timings in both, then just use the app to programme time and percentage, remembering to save, then slide scheduled timing button across and save again. I have a BP wall charger which is programmable but I let the car set the timings. Hopefully you resolve soon👍
Thank you so much for your help.
I have tried the following, (using the ‘Granny plug) so as to rule out the 7kw non- programmable wall charger having an issue:
1) I have performed an ‘Unbind’ of the iSmart App from the car. I have then programmed the car to the required times as you suggest (and which worked so well before the software updates were performed by the dealer). The charging process starts immediately and ignores the Car Scheduling command.
2) I have then set the Scheduler in the car to 0:00 on both start and finish times and swiped so as to disable the scheduling. I have then performed a ‘Bind’ of the iSmart App to the car and set the timer on the App to 12:30am - 4:30am in order to take advantage of the Octopus Go tariff. As soon as I plug the ‘granny’ charger into the car, it starts the charging procedure, ignoring the Scheduling on the iSmart App. Thankyou for you support. It is appreciated.

Im sorry to hear that you are still having an issue, someone else will hopefully come up with another idea. If not sounds like another dealer trip Im afraid.

A thank you to everyone for their help, support and suggestions. The dealers - due to my location are 80 miles away - have phoned this afternoon to say that ‘Head Office’ have been in touch. I will need to take the car to them where the car will need to remain connected whilst specific files (not an update) will be uploaded to my MG4. I am assured that this will solve my ‘invisible’ scheduling problem. They have no appointments until February, so it’s back to the 12:30am alarm to connect the vehicle, and again at 4:30am to disconnect. Does anyone have a comfy tent, ensuring that the rest of the household are not disturbed? 😬😳😞 In spite of severe sleep deprivation, I am hoping to survive until then.🤪

After several updates in the summer, my MG4 Trophy scheduling and the ‘charge to’ limiter on the infotainment system (and the App) has been rendered unusable. I have just come back from the dealers after a service and software update and it is still unusable!! The dealer says he has to refer the problem to MG. Help! I have eliminated the Charger by trying the same with the ‘granny’ charger. As soon as I plug either cable into the car, the car socket turns to green and starts charging, completely ignoring the set schedule. Any other users with a similar problem?? I (not my wife) am not impressed by me getting out of bed at 12:30am and 4:30am respectively to connect and disconnect my charging cable to take advantage of the Octopus EV tariff 😞
Many (most) times my Trophy also ignores the set schedule and starts charging a couple of minutes after I plug in. I watch out for that and use the app to stop it charging. I've have found that it's important with my car to then exit the app and not touch it again! Once I've stopped the charge the car then waits until 12.30 to start charging. Stopping at the correct time is still a bit shaky, but usually it does.

If I use the app again in the morning to check the state of charge, the car seems to wake up and start charging again (even though it is outside the scheduled time) so I've learnt not to do that.

Luckily, I can see my car from the bedroom window to see if it's charging or not. Still a pain, but nothing like as bad as having to get out to connect the cable at 12.30!

Thank you to everyone who kindly gave of their time in order to support my long standing issue. The dealership (Nathaniel’s of Cardiff UK) recognised the adverse effect my sleep deficit was having on me as I was having to set two nightly alarms; one to start charging the car and the other to stop charging the car. Even tho’ they had no service appointments until February 2024, as an exceptional outreach of good customer relations, I was called in today. It was a round journey of nearly 200 miles. The MG servers flashed over the necessary files and hey presto! Everything is now working perfectly- altho’ I have yet to see whether the battery limiter will limit the charge to my set percentage overnight ….. however, so far - so good! Thank you so much to everyone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 517 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back