MG4 X Power First 1000 Miles.

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Quick? post on my MG4 X Power First 1000 Miles.
I have a knack (irritation?) of writing a long post so promise to "try" and keep this short!
Extremely pleased overall with the car, and very pleasantly surprised how well it's fitted into our lives.

Should end it there really but can't help myself 🤣
I can relax though, knowing that you are not forced to carry on.👍

We have owned large SUV's over the last couple of years and I have been wanting to downsize for a while.
Even though the last one was B.E.V, It was too big and far too heavy which made me feel like I was driving a big I.C.E V8!

Let me qualify that for you.....
Although we were trying to be greener by buying an EV, because the vehicle wasn't very efficient, I felt like it was defeating the object of trying to be greener.
During my total ownership of a year, I achieved just 2.1 mpkwh.
You see!!! Gone off on a bloody tangent again!!

The MG4 is very smooth and comfortable despite it having uprated sports suspension. Some of the roads around here are not the best, but the car handles them all very well indeed.
Thumbs up! to the engineers at MG 👍

Overall very pleased with the quality of the car and certainly doesn't feel budget despite its "relatively" low price.
My only gripe with the interior is that I wish that the top of the door panels were made of the same material as the top of the dash.

Tried the heated wheel and seats today as it was just 6 degrees here, and they were excellent.
I've only one previous vehicle with a heated steering wheel before, and it is a very nice thing to have.
Oh the power....(almost forgot) AS IF.....🤣

Yes, she's quite quick.............🤣

No, joking aside, the power is just so accessible and smooth with it.
Unlike powerful I.C.E. cars that I have owned, the benefits of the E.V. being quiet and serene, means it doesn't make you feel like you need to drive around like a **** all the time.

(Please note: Personal opinions and experiences being quoted) ((No need to defend yourselves)) You know who you are! 🤣
I had a rather rampant RS4 Avant and that car goaded me on at every opportunity to drive it like I had stolen it.

Also had a VXR500 that was quite free with the encouragement also!!!
Older now, and very much the wiser...
(I hope??)
Cheap to run, Very cheap to tax, cheap to service, in fact I think my biggest cost will be tyres.

And a quick word on the tyres...
I think they are very good. Far too early to give an indication of longevity, but they have not given me any concern at all regards grip or control.
Anyone thinking of tracking their car will probably want something more suited to track work.

I've done a lot of track days over the years and might like to take my car at some stage, but have not looked into it and doubt if any tracks have fast chargers installed?

Although, I don't doubt that with a little bit of research, could find a track with fast chargers nearby.

Apart from the minor annoyance of not having a single "OFF" button for the LKA, and the seems, particular to me, intermittent reverse camera picture breakup, we are both very pleased with our purchase.
Long may it continue.

P.S. There is only the wife, myself and a weekly shop, so the car is big enough and practical enough for this old couple 🤣
Point Blur_Sep172023_133601.jpg

Last edited:
War and Peace comes to mind…😂 however thanks for the write up, glad your happy with the car. Like you have been lucky to have had large and fast cars and wanted to downsize from the EV6. Im looking forward to getting mine as we also have great driving roads in North Wales 👍

Yesterday I was in a long conversation with one of my oldest friends, and we inevitably got onto the car.
He said later on in a whatsapp "It's a shame they didn't put some proper calipers on there" and I didn't get to reply immediately, but when I typed back, it sort of struck me why they didn't.

First of all the car would have gone over the £40k price point I reckon, with a named brand of six pots or something similar, somewhat defeating the price point MG are trying to achieve.
Secondly, having done just over a 1000 miles in the car, I barely need to touch the brake pedal (In my favoured strongest re-gen mode)
In OPD, the re-gen is so strong you don't need the brakes at all.
So why spend thousands on Brembos or whatever.
On a track yes, daily driving (even spirited)
No.
The covers do make cleaning a breeze though.
I am also very concious about my lack of braking, so each time I go out, I have a long hill that I go down where I put the car in neutral, let her pick up speed, then give the pedal one good hard application before the bottom.
That keeps the discs and pads in good working order, so if some errant pedestrian or animal should stumble out in front of me, (when I'm tearing about at 20mph) I'll be able to stop.

Be interested to know what you all think.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was in a long conversation with one of my oldest friends, and we inevitably got onto the car.
He said later on it a whatsapp "It's a shame they didn't put some proper calipers on there" and I didn't get to reply immediately, but when I typed back, it sort of struck me why they didn't.

First of all the car would have gone over the £40k price point I reckon, with a named brand of six pots or something similar, somewhat defeating the price point MG are trying to achieve.
Yes, there's no free lunch, MG have to save the money somewhere.

Secondly, having done just over a 1000 miles in the car, I barely need to touch the brake pedal (In my favoured strongest re-gen mode)
In OPD, the re-gen is so strong you don't need the brakes at all.
So why spend thousands on Brembos or whatever.
Indeed, brakes are much less important for EVs for everyday driving, so no point having massive ones

On a track yes, daily driving (even spirited)
No.
Yes, so few people ever go on a track that it is really only bragging rights that get manufacturers to optimise their halo cars for this and it inevitably both adds cost and also typically ruins the ride for normal road use.

So, track afficianados aside, I think they've made the right decision here.
The covers do make cleaning a breeze though.
I am also very concious about my lack of braking, so each time I go out, I have a long hill that I go down where I put the car in neutral, let her pick up speed, then give the pedal one good hard application before the bottom.
That keeps the discs and pads in good working order, so if some errant pedestrian or animal should stumble out in front of me, (when I'm tearing about at 20mph) I'll be able to stop.
Yes, that's a good idea in every EV.

What's a rough figure for the insurance? I know we all have different circumstances but a rough idea would be helpful.

What's a rough figure for the insurance? I know we all have different circumstances but a rough idea would be helpful.
£570 for me but that was a pressure sale, whilst sat in my brand new car on the forecourt.
My insurers, Churchill, did not have the car on their system (at that time and had to cancel my existing policy)
I will expect to do much better next year when everyone knows what is is.
Old git, good postcode, full no claims, blah blah.

Quite a few fresh owners on here now!

Would you like to contribute to this thread?

Quite a few fresh owners on here now!

Would you like to contribute to this thread?

I just added this to the first post but it disappeared!

Vibes not mentioned as I had decided it was probably just an out of balance wheel.
It was never terrible tbh and still isn't, but I would still like them gone completely.

Edit: Just over 6000 miles covered.

What is frightening, is that it is just over 6 months since your first post. I would not have thought it was that long ago!
Generally it is a decent car for the money, quick, comfortable, easy to use. Software foibles aside I have not had any issues apart from the vibrations, which are less after wheel balancing.
However it has developed a number of rattles from dash and doors, when going over different road surfaces, which has become annoying.
Would I have another MG or X Power? That would be a no, but Im glad I got to experience its performance.

What is frightening, is that it is just over 6 months since your first post. I would not have thought it was that long ago!
Generally it is a decent car for the money, quick, comfortable, easy to use. Software foibles aside I have not had any issues apart from the vibrations, which are less after wheel balancing.
However it has developed a number of rattles from dash and doors, when going over different road surfaces, which has become annoying.
Would I have another MG or X Power? That would be a no, but Im glad I got to experience its performance.

Fingers crossed 🤞 still no other issues to report (now they have fixed the temp sensor)
Like you pal, I'm not sure what the future holds.
I think MG will improve, I mean if they expect any sort of longevity in the UK, then they will have to.

The way they deal with the vibes will be a deal breaker for a lot of folk.

This needs dealing with to every customer's satisfaction or they will never see that customer again. (IMO)

Perhaps it's a culture thing?

Although judging by some of the videos I've seen, where Chinese consumers take a product back that they are unhappy with (including cars) and smash them up in front of where they bought it.

Ooo, now there's an idea.
Any takers 🤣

Last edited:
Although judging by some of the videos I've seen, where Chinese consumers take a product back that they are unhappy with (including cars) and smash them up in front of where they bought it.

Ooo, now there's an idea.
Any takers 🤣

Any insurance write offs maybe 😊

I don't think I'd buy MG again due to poor dealers, poor head office help, long delays for parts, long delays for repairs. awful depreciation etc etc.....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom