You, (as I am sure you know) have only just scrubbed in your tyres at that mileage so could, (if you wanted) start leaning on them a bit more.
Yes thats my intention, I have been having a think, I certainly dont want to fork out on new tyres, my mileage these days doesnt justify it. Plus unless absolutely necessary dont have to go out when weather turns bad and can always use my TFW bus pass😂

Last edited:
Continentals? Didn’t you get Bridgestones as standard?
Yes sorry - They did come with Bridgestones and not Continentals. I was getting mixed up with my previous car which was an Audi A3!!! Sorry everyone.

Thought I would give my initial thoughts on the tyres following a longer drive today. I think they are not a quiet tyre and transmit a lot of road noise and even slight vibration, from low speed, into the cabin compared to the EV6. I remember thinking this at the time of my test drive but wasnt sure.
Due to their nature ev tyres as far as Im aware, are harder compound, for economy. They have covered only 125 miles so will see if they improve with time. I will consider the all season route if things dont improve. They also may require refitting and rebalancing as mentioned previously, so going to call into tyre fitters tomorrow to discuss. I have seen mentioned about yellow and red spots on tyres that indicate heaviest point yellow at valve and high spot red. Can only find the red one no yellows, so who knows!

I too would be interested in the answer however my steering vibration is only slight, having checked again today and because I was looking for it.
I used to have a very slight vibration around 60 but got used to it in the end as I either kept below 50 and when I did go over 60 it very quickly went up to 70!!! :)

These new Cross Climate 2 tyres have solved the problem not only with regards vibration but also the grip so I can now drive with confidence again. The only thing I would say is that the road noise has very slightly increased as these new tyres are harder than the original ones and you have to make sure you get the pressures spot on.

I used to have a very slight vibration around 60 but got used to it in the end as I either kept below 50 and when I did go over 60 it very quickly went up to 70!!! :)

These new Cross Climate 2 tyres have solved the problem not only with regards vibration but also the grip so I can now drive with confidence again. The only thing I would say is that the road noise has very slightly increased as these new tyres are harder than the original ones and you have to make sure you get the pressures spot on.
Cc2s are sensitive to pressure but worth the upgrade especially on the xpower

............I, as I am sure also many of you guys, dont really want to be forking out 100s of pounds to replace the tyres, if ultimately this ends up being a manufacturing issue from Bridgestone.
In the past I've bought a second set of alloys on Ebay and fitted Cold Weather Tyres on them for the Winter months (Nov-March). Not quite so easy on the MG4 with the TPMS system but I'm pretty sure 18" VW Golf / Audi wheels will fit the MG4 so plenty of choice. That way you keep your original wheels and tyres for any official MG servicing reuirements and also for Summer use of course.

When you ultimately sell the car you can recoup a lot of the cost by selling the extra set of wheels / tyres on Ebay.

Did a 45 mile round trip earlier today to put the car through its paces, very impressed. However the tyre noise, on mine at least, is very loud in my opinion had to turn volume up to try and drown out a bit. Until I put more miles on it I will reserve judgement, but initial impressions not good in that area, rest of car excellent.

Last edited:
Did a 45 mile round trip earlier today to put the car through its paces, very impressed. However the tyre noise, on mine at least, is very loud in my opinion had to turn volume up to try and drown out a bit. Until I put more miles on it I will reserve judgement, but initial impressions not good in that area, rest of car excellent.

Yes, they are much louder with my "deaf aids" in! 🤣

Hello all,

I've seen a number of posts about Xpower owners planning to change tires from the oem turanzas, but iirc only 1 owner who actually did so far (to cross climates I believe).

Just wondering if we could centralize a thread with Xpower owners who have actually changed them, to what, and their perceptions of the resulting impact on the car (highway speed vibration, general noise, wet/dry braking/grip/handling etc).

Picking mine up next week and debating on doing it straight away in order to increase the resale value of the original tires.

Any thoughts?

Yes I agree ... the problem is keeping it on the first few pages of the forum as otherwise the threads tend to get lost pages back. Personally I think there should be either more "Stickies" that stay at the top or a separate sub forum for the Xpower. Previous car forums I have frequented are (IMHO) better structured for this.

Just to demonstrate my point you have started a thread that has already been started before !!

Perhaps a link to a Google sheet with the ability to enter the relevant information. I like the exchanges that take place, but it's true it does muddy the waters a bit for this type of consolidation.

Hello all,

I've seen a number of posts about Xpower owner's planning to change tires from the oem turanzas, but iirc only 1 owner who actually did so far (to cross climates I believe).

Just wondering if we could centralize a thread with Xpower owner's who have actually changed them, to what, and their perceptions of the resulting impact on the car (highway speed vibration, general noise, wet/dry braking/grip/handling etc).

Picking mine up next week and debating on doing it straight away in order to increase the resale value of the original tires.

Any thoughts?

Just reiterating @JonnyG

Tyre news imminent............
👍

Last edited:
Yea I've read that one, and others, but they all seem to devolve into more of a discussion than a record of owners who actually changed them. I'm out at the moment but perhaps I'll just start a public sheet that let's whoever's interested record what they've done and their feelings about the resulting changes.

Hello all,

I've seen a number of posts about Xpower owner's planning to change tires from the oem turanzas, but iirc only 1 owner who actually did so far (to cross climates I believe).

Just wondering if we could centralize a thread with Xpower owner's who have actually changed them, to what, and their perceptions of the resulting impact on the car (highway speed vibration, general noise, wet/dry braking/grip/handling etc).

Any thoughts?
I've just merged your thread with this existing one :)

So I finally went ahead and changed my tyres. (After saying that I was going to wait for a fix so that I did not cloud the issue🤔🤣)

Just wanted to get that in before you did!🤣🤣🤣

After a great deal of thought, I've put on Michelin Pilot Sport 5s, which suits my driving style and how I like to use the car.

First impressions straight out of the garage are that these are quieter and more compliant than standard.

But the big question I wanted to answer is...........

Are the vibes gone?

In a word....... No.

Much reduced? Yes.

Further up the speed range now, so that I can feel them at circa 70mph, but not 75mph.

To be absolutely clear, barely perceptible now, so the OE tyres were definitely contributing.

My money is now firmly back on the driveshafts not being perfectly balanced.

I'm pretty sure some folk (as has been said on here elsewhere) don't feel anything at all.

Previously, I could feel the onset of vibes from about 58mph up to and including about 75mph.

It wasn't terrible before, and IMO, I could definitely live with it (and did so)

As I've also said elsewhere, we all tolerate things differently so, one man's (or woman's) gentle vibe, is another man's (or woman's) cattle grid.

So knowing what I know now, would I have changed them anyway?

Well, having done the best part of 4k on the OE tyres now, I would have to say yes.

But that is just personal preference.

I do like to exploit the performance available (when possible) and will have to wait until Ive put a lot more miles on them to be absolutely sure, but I do expect them to let go, much later than the OE tyres.

I've also got Pembrey Circuit near me and these tyres will be much better suited for the track days I'm planning next year.

So, if MG do come up with a fix?????? then I will be happy to let them "apply" it.

In the mean time, I will continue to enjoy every minute of driving this car, and administering lessons in physics to the "yoof" who do insist on trying it on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, it confirms my thoughts all along that the tyres are a contributing factor, I for one dont like their characteristics, but each to their own. However there is still an underlying issue that MG needs to resolve.

Last edited:
So my brand spanking new tyres were made in......April!!

Which I know is sort of the norm.

The only way I could have got a more recently made set is if I would have gone to a busy city tyre fitter, that fits this sort of tyre more regularly.

Anyhow, away from cold this morning, my wife confirmed what I thought about the quietness of the tyres.

Night and day?

Not really, just quieter.

The tyres also feel more compliant on the road, which I know is a subjective thing but I can definitely feel a difference.

I have done nearly a 100 miles on them already, so will start pushing them on, in various conditions to see how they fair.

20231229_123356.jpg

Now, about those lowering springs.........

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom