Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
From Lampymic in a PM this morning....

Today at 8:24 AM
Morning Bricktop1967,
Have you noticed any vibration, although vibration might be the wrong word possibly a buzzing sensation when reaching 68+ on the motorway? I really noticed it on Thursday on a quick trip down the M55, wondering if you’ve noticed anything seeing as you’ve had yours longer.

Cheers

Morning Mike
Yes I have m8.
I've mentioned it a few times in various posts.
I find it at anything between 65-75 mph.

Dealer knows nothing (obviously!)

I am still in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it.
I mean it's not terrible, but should a brand new car have anything like this?
I've never had another car start Vibing at me before.
This is the weekend when I decide whether to reject it or not.

From Lampymic

Thank you, I’ll start a thread on it when I get back from the picket line, today is a very expensive day off!
It’s interesting that you’ve got it too, it’s clearly an issue that dealers should be aware of. I’m going to give them a call to ask them to chase it up with MG, I’ll tell them I’m not happy with the car doing it and we shall see what happens.

To be honest LKA isn’t causing me that many issues at all, the roads around me are so poor it can’t detect the lane it’s supposed to be keeping me in!

I feel a bit bad not waiting for Lampymic to start this thread, but he's busy on a very worthy cause.
Any abuse will be gladly received.🤣

There are only a few of us with X Powers at the moment but it already seems to be inherent in all of them

Interestingly, at 75mph it's almost non existent in my vehicle.
Now I of course realise, that I should not have to break the law in order to have a smoother, vibe free ride.....
"Yes officer, I do have to go a bit faster as my car has been hastily engineered to get it to market"

Last edited:
I reckon to describe it, it is just like a change of surface.
From something really smooth, to something a bit rougher?

Agreed, not the tyres, but something in the front motor drive train.
I am sure buried amongst all the posts on the forum there is chap from Asia that has had a 4wd version for a while and he did bring it up.
I can't find it now.
Anyone know which thread it was in?

Last edited:
To me it feels like something in the front, you feel it through the steering wheel but for me it’s not a vibration where the whole car shakes. It feels almost like the motor isn’t keeping up with the speed of the car. Like it’s trying to coast but isn’t managing it.

Waiting for mine so cant comment. However at the speeds mentioned is the car in 4wd or 2wd does the graphics show that?
On my test drive didnt get a chance to go at motorways speeds but 60 to 65 and there was a hum but not a vibration and I was not accelerating at the time i.e. flooring it.

Agreed, definitely the front of the car, and nowhere near a car shaking episode (we would all be rejecting!!)
Literally a slight hum/vibe.

Waiting for mine so cant comment. However at the speeds mentioned is the car in 4wd or 2wd does the graphics show that?
On my test drive didnt get a chance to go at motorways speeds but 60 to 65 and there was a hum but not a vibration and I was not accelerating at the time i.e. flooring it.
Does it in sport as well (4wd)

When I first got it I convinced myself that going from normal to sport got rid of it.
But having done 1300 miles in mine now, it doesn't.

This certainly has been widely reported now, but nobody seems to know the cause or whether a remedy is coming.

Edit: my guess is that it is some kind of harmonic vibration from the 4wd drivetrain (even in 2wd mode), which is a brand new design so it may be possible to dial it out with software or it may require a hardware remedy,

This certainly has been widely reported now, but nobody seems to know the cause or whether a remedy is coming.

Edit: my guess is that it is some kind of harmonic vibration from the 4wd drivetrain (even in 2wd mode), which is a brand new design so it may be possible to dial it out with software or it may require a hardware remedy,

Agreed.
Mine was the first one my dealer had sold, so of course he was completely clueless (as were the service department) when I brought it to their attention a few weeks ago.

From Lampymic in a PM this morning....

Today at 8:24 AM
Morning Bricktop1967,
Have you noticed any vibration, although vibration might be the wrong word possibly a buzzing sensation when reaching 68+ on the motorway? I really noticed it on Thursday on a quick trip down the M55, wondering if you’ve noticed anything seeing as you’ve had yours longer.

Cheers

Morning Mike
Yes I have m8.
I've mentioned it a few times in various posts.
I find it at anything between 65-75 mph.

Dealer knows nothing (obviously!)

I am still in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it.
I mean it's not terrible, but should a brand new car have anything like this?
I've never had another car start Vibing at me before.
This is the weekend when I decide whether to reject it or not.

From Lampymic

Thank you, I’ll start a thread on it when I get back from the picket line, today is a very expensive day off!
It’s interesting that you’ve got it too, it’s clearly an issue that dealers should be aware of. I’m going to give them a call to ask them to chase it up with MG, I’ll tell them I’m not happy with the car doing it and we shall see what happens.

To be honest LKA isn’t causing me that many issues at all, the roads around me are so poor it can’t detect the lane it’s supposed to be keeping me in!

I feel a bit bad not waiting for Lampymic to start this thread, but he's busy on a very worthy cause.
Any abuse will be gladly received.🤣

There are only a few of us with Xpowers at the moment but it already seems to be inherent in all of them

Interestingly, at 75mph it's almost non existent in my vehicle.
Now I of course realise, that I should not have to break the law in order to have a smoother, vibe free ride.....
"Yes officer, I do have to go a bit faster as my car has been hastily engineered to get it to market"
Check undertray over rear motor. I bet you it's bulging or hanging down. If it is, and you hit water at speed, it will rip it off. As far as I know, all MG4s have a badly designed and fitted undertray that doesn't fit at all and MG have just screwed it on hoping no one will notice. Don't even bother going to a dealer for a replacement. There is no such thing and they'll only give you lip service.

Thank you Ian Key for clarifying, it didnt cross my mind that a lot of people wouldn't recognise the reference. I was thirteen at the time!

Last edited:
Check undertray over rear motor. I bet you it's bulging or hanging down. If it is, and you hit water at speed, it will rip it off. As far as I know, all MG4s have a badly designed and fitted undertray that doesn't fit at all and MG have just screwed it on hoping no one will notice. Don't even bother going to a dealer for a replacement. There is no such thing and they'll only give you lip service.
Mines fine.
Checked when I collected it.

Thank you Ian Key for clarifying, it didnt cross my mind that a lot of people wouldn't recognise the reference.
I was reminded last week about the difference culture references that exist between my age group and those born this century when the young lad helping the plumber install my new central heating didn't know what a stack system was never mind cassettes and CDs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom