MG4 XPower - AC Current rate (8a) reset itself to AC Current, potentially tripping circuit?

Mennox

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Got my MG4 XPower last week and and will be granny charging long term. Used an outdoor weatherproof extension cable (through the window) from Amazon for the first several days by connecting it to a socket in my living room....the circuit for the living room tripped whilst on charge so assuming it was related.

As there is a fixed RCD on the circuit, I bought a granny cable extension from Tough Leads (impressed with its quality compared to cable from Amazon).....charged it overnight on Monday without issue (again through teh window connected to living room socket).

Today, an electrician installed an outdoor IP66 socket connected to one of the living room sockets (internally rather than via a plug). Connected the tough leads cable and charged the car as normal - after 2-3 hours it tripped the circuit again. This time I went to the car and change the current setting from the default AC Current to 8a, which dropped the charging power from 1.8kw to around 1.4-1.6kw.

All seemed to be going well for around 4 hours and then it tripped again around 15 mins ago....after turning on the circuit, I checked the app...it was now back at 1.8kw, so when I went to the car, it had defaulted to AC Current....now I am not able to determine whether the car actually defaulted back to AC Current, thus causing the trip but thats what I am thinking right now, especially as I have been monitoring the charging power all night and had been sitting between 1.4-1.6kw........anyone experience this??

Just to note that my house had a full rewire 6 months ago (done by the council) but we also been experiencing trips in the kitchen over the last few months with only the washer and dryer running....so I am thinking that the wiring itself could be causing it - one to raise with the council tomorrow!

I had the same issue using the supplied 8a charger. It was stressing the wiring in my old 1980s house when mixed with other household loads.

I put in my own circuit with 6mm² cable and 25a breaker. Now 15a charging is possible without interruptions.

Thanks, I will take a look into that - will raise it with the council first as the kitchen trips occasionally so there is a fault somewhere, even though the wiring is only 6 months old.

Might be as simple as stepping up the RCD in the fusebox m8?
I.E. 16amp to 32amp.
You say it's been rewired recently so I wouldn't see a problem.
Give your electrician a bell, I am sure he could confirm if this was an easy option for you in your particular scenario.

Thanks, I will take a look into that - will raise it with the council first as the kitchen trips occasionally so there is a fault somewhere, even though the wiring is only 6 months old.
Get an electrician to check all of your appliances and test the breakers.

I had a surge protector which was faulting and also causing breakers to trip.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom