MG4 XPOWER Revelation!!!

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
MG4 XPOWER Revelation.

Good Morning Chaps, (Any Chapesses?)

So, in a follow up to what I wrote in a thread yesterday, I have done what I said I would do this morning, and gave the car a chance to come to life.
I let it go through it's checks before touching the brake pedal or any of the controls. (Can I just apologise if this has already been discovered and acted upon)

It takes my car from unlock to my personal greeting " Hello Chris and Jenny"
32 seconds.
I don't touch anything until that happens, then foot on brake pedal (as we all know) to bring up "System Ready"
Today I have driven a round trip to Haverfordwest of 48 miles, on a mixture of country lanes, urban roads and fast A and B roads.
I never turned off the LKA or adjusted any of the settings.
Everything was default MG at start up.

They car was exactly how I was expecting it to be from collection (i.e. working correctly)12 days ago.

Gave 2 warning bongs on the way there, but they were not false alarms, they reflected my slightly cutting corners and going over the center line.

1 bong on the way back and a gentle tug as I took a more direct line through a corner.
Absolutely as expected and no worse than my previous Audi.
I will repeat the exact trip again tomorrow to see if today's results are reflected again.
Even my wife was surprised at the total difference in the cars behaviour today!

The slight hum is still there but It will not be enough for me to reject the car.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.
(More on that later, re me being off grid and using v2l)

If this test concludes the same way tomorrow and the car continues to behave itself, I will definitely be keeping it.
Nothing gets even remotely close to the performance for the money.

Last edited:
1000013063.jpg

MG4 XPOWER Revelation.

Good Morning Chaps, (Any Chapesses?)

So, in a follow up to what I wrote in a thread yesterday, I have done what I said I would do this morning, and gave the car a chance to come to life.
I let it go through it's checks before touching the brake pedal or any of the controls. (Can I just apologise if this has already been discovered and acted upon)

It takes my car from unlock to my personal greeting " Hello Chris and Jenny"
32 seconds.
I don't touch anything until that happens, then foot on brake pedal (as we all know) to bring up "System Ready"
Today I have driven a round trip to Haverfordwest of 48 miles, on a mixture of country lanes, urban roads and fast A and B roads.
I never turned off the LKA or adjusted any of the settings.
Everything was default MG at start up.

They car was exactly how I was expecting it to be from collection (i.e. working correctly)12 days ago.

Gave 2 warning bongs on the way there, but they were not false alarms, they reflected my slightly cutting corners and going over the center line.

1 bong on the way back and a gentle tug as I took a more direct line through a corner.
Absolutely as expected and no worse than my previous Audi.
I will repeat the exact trip again tomorrow to see if today's results are reflected again.
Even my wife was surprised at the total difference in the cars behaviour today!

The slight hum is still there but It will not be enough for me to reject the car.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.
(More on that later, re me being off grid and using v2l)

If this test concludes the same way tomorrow and the car continues to behave itself, I will definitely be keeping it.
Nothing gets even remotely close to the performance for the money.
It does prefer time to boot up. We always give it enough time because we're inevitably adjusting the seat, mirrors and plugging in a phone and sorting out music/nav or something (generslly faffing about) before changing car settings and driving off. This might be why we don't experience some of the problems others do.

It does prefer time to boot up. We always give it enough time because we're inevitably adjusting the seat, mirrors and plugging in a phone and sorting out music/nav or something (generslly faffing about) before changing car settings and driving off. This might be why we don't experience some of the problems others do.
Would you say this could be at the root of a lot of the issues people are having, as you have said on several occasions your car works for the most part pretty flawlessly.
Just curious, as if your usual routine is to give the car that chance to boot up, and others aren't, it might be an easy win/fix and at the very least certainly worth giving it a go.

Just as a further thought on the two occasions I drove a 4, there was a delay between the car starting and me driving (adjusting seat, mirrors, seatbelt, wheel etc) it was amongst the first batch and the dealers first demo. I drove on single carriage, dual, village, country roads etc and it didn't impact the drive at all.
Never gave it much thought till now

Last edited:
Honestly, I was gobsmacked with the change in character!
In a reply yesterday I mentioned how my truck would throw errors if you got in, fired up and drove off without the dash cycling through it's start up routine.
(Obviously not at the start of the shift where a very meticulous safety check had been recorded!🤣) And to be fair the errors would always come later in the shift. Just assumed "gremlins"
The trucks I've been driving the last few years have all had radar cruise, collision mitigation etc etc and I was forever switching off the systems as a default setting in my head.
Just struck me yesterday to be patient with the car today.
30 seconds sounds a lot but it's not.
I've always psychologically put my foot on the brake when I get in anything but avoided that this morning and just waited for the greeting before doing anything Waiting til the morrow to repeat the journey and see what happens. 👍

Will have to remember to go through that process when I get mine. With the EV6 there is a start/stop button and you have to wait until Ready comes up on the screen. However a couple of times I have been too quick selecting gear and not waited and nothing has happened, so it was off then on again to clear it.

Would you say this could be at the root of a lot of the issues people are having, as you have said on several occasions your car works for the most part pretty flawlessly.
It could be.

There seem to be 2 issues with these systems: Module updates and Calibration.

My dealer was extremely thorough. We delayed collection 3 weeks to get the new March registration, so they had the car for ages and applied all available updates at the time.

If the car is doing some calibration on startup, maybe that is going wrong for some people?

If combined with missing updates, maybe this triggers bugs and strange behaviour?

All entirely believable with MG's software system. I imagine MG's own testers will abide by the startup book, so maybe never never test for this?

Just curious, as if your usual routine is to give the car that chance to boot up, and others aren't, it might be an easy win/fix and at the very least certainly worth giving it a go.
Yes, absolutely worth trying.

In a reply yesterday I mentioned how my truck would throw errors if you got in, fired up and drove off without the dash cycling through it's start up routine.
(Obviously not at the start of the shift where a very meticulous safety check had been recorded!🤣) And to be fair the errors would always come later in the shift. Just assumed "gremlins"
The trucks I've been driving the last few years have all had radar cruise, collision mitigation etc etc and I was forever switching off the systems as a default setting in my head.
I've always psychologically put my foot on the brake when I get in anything but avoided that this morning and just waited for the greeting before doing anything Waiting til the morrow to repeat the journey and see what happens. 👍
I tend not to press the brake until after both screens have booted and after plugging in my phone.

Cars are more computer now than cars off old and everytime you fire up a computer you have to let it fully boot up and do any updates before you can use it or it plays up

All entirely believable with MG's software system. I imagine MG's own testers will abide by the startup book, so maybe never never test for this?
You may be correct there, although any testing routines should include all eventualities, so again, it may down to poor QC. They should be concentrating on the software load time and maybe simplifying the boot animation to speed things up.

Have to say, when I start my car, I always wait for the boot cycle to make sure everything loads correctly (weather, clock & radio) and have not seen any running issues that some others encounter. LKA seems to behave as expected for me.

Last edited:
So, following on from yesterday......

I unlocked the car and the wipers swept.
(I had inadvertently left it on intermittent mode yesterday)
The centre screen was straight on "cilmate" despite being on the Home screen when I switched it off yesterday.
My personal greeting " Hello Chris and Jenny" went off just after I had sat down, less than 10 seconds from unlock. (32 seconds yesterday?)

Set off without altering anything.
Point Blur_Sep172023_133601.jpg

Within the first mile, I had 4 warnings with accompanying wheel tugs!!!
I switched off LKA! 🤣
I will try again tomorrow...........

Had an enjoyable round trip of 125 miles taking in the A40 to Llandovery, then onto the A4069 before retracing back to home.

Car was faultless (with the LKA OFF! 🤣)

Fantastic picture by the way (y)
Thanks M8
I've just used it again in another post 🤣

Good to hear, I always switch LKA off anyway, so wont be a problem for me. Although it is easier on EV6 which has a dedicated steering wheel button.
Yes, it was much like that in the Audi. Button on the end of the indicator stalk.
One press, OFF!!!

Is the steering wheel on straight on your car? I ask because on both XPOWER’s I test drove, when driving straight the wheel was off centre to the right. One was worse than the other.

To be quite honest, I always jumped in and went off. Never had any issues, the usual ones (LKA, Bluetooth pairing) were solved with updates.

Btw - Leni16, what happened? You gone? 😯

Is the steering wheel on straight on your car? I ask because on both XPOWER’s I test drove, when driving straight the wheel was off centre to the right. One was worse than the other.
Funny you should mention that!!
After my test drive I told the dealer about the rear camera not working, the gentle vibration at anything between 65 and 75 mph and............"please check the tracking as the wheel is slightly on the wonk"
Felt more pronounced as I had been in a standard car for an hour with a perfectly straight wheel.

On collection, 7 days later, the camera was working but went wrong again the very next day (and has been on and off ever since)
The vibration (can't stress how minor it is) but it is still apparent and should not be there.
Wheel was still very slightly on the wonk.

Thanks for the reply. If mine is the same will look to get it tracked locally, would not trust the dealer. Drives me nuts when a car is delivered with a steering wheel out of alignment.

Snap, an off-centre wheel drives me nuts. 😤
Might be worth you getting a full four wheel hunter alignment, assuming of course the alignment centre has figures for the car yet (hmmm…)
You’d need specific X-power figures.
The results would be interesting and perhaps, maybe, any errors could mean you getting the cost back from the dealer/MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom