MG5 22 months old 8000 miles

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just tried to move the car this morning- moved it 4 feet ok.
Tried moving it again " traction battery" not connected.
The 12V battery was showing 12V/ 11.9V bothered and green 12V battery symbols showing
It did not easily turn off by the stop/ start.
After about 12 times of turning off and lots more go's at effectively activating a full OFF - all is well and Drive is ok 14.1V on 12v battery
Is this a " normal" glitch, it is pouring with rain, but this is the norm.
Again once the car had it's software updated in June 22 all had been well, but am aware on this group 12V battery issues have regularly gone up.
Would it be prudent to gist have a look at the 12V connections, and clean up grease - when it stops raining.
Do I treat the 12V as per an IC car 12v battery - do I need to take any other precautions.
Thank you
Roger
PS the car has been ok, pleased with it, does the job - not so good getting tinternet in though and DAB is poor

If you get the traction battery ( HV fault ) symbol the HV will not charge the 12 Volt battery , so I would think in your case the 12 volt battery .
Also best to firmly pressing the brake before putting the car in Drive as this can also give the " Traction Battery Fault " warning .
Best thing is to disconnect the 12 volt negative terminal with the trusty 10mm spanner .It normally clears glitches

Thanks Maskull, appreciated- it could be as you said iffy foot on brake.
It was odd that I could not turn off the car SO I guess I confused it.
Are you aware of any knowledge degradation of the +vehicle and -ve 12V battery terminals.
And treat as IC batter IE earth off 1st on last - NO additional precautions whilst handling this battery.
Appreciated
Roger

Thanks Maskull, appreciated- it could be as you said iffy foot on brake.
It was odd that I could not turn off the car SO I guess I confused it.
Are you aware of any knowledge degradation of the +vehicle and -ve 12V battery terminals.
And treat as IC batter IE earth off 1st on last - NO additional precautions whilst handling this battery.
Appreciated
Roger
No reports of degradation of the terminals . Only remove the negative terminal , removing the positive creates a risk of shorting . When you connect it back you'll see a series of "faults " coming up on starting up the car. Don't worry that's normal

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom