MG5 ABRP & OBD working now

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
ABRP is now working with the MG5 OBD connection - been providing some calibration details recently for the MG5LR as it was reporting the SOC from the OBD rather than the value showing on the dashboard. Looks fairly accurate now (occasionally reading 1% less than car display). They still need some calibration details for the MG5SR

It's worth having a play with if you have an OBD dongle and want to test the dynamic route planning - you will need a subscription for CarPlay or Android Auto support but not for the OBD integration.

Thanks for posting this and for everyone who contributed on the attached feed. Great to see this is looking stable.
Are you able to access State Of Health SOH for the battery? Any observations on this changing over time eg better after a balancing charge?

Thanks for posting this and for everyone who contributed on the attached feed. Great to see this is looking stable.
Are you able to access State Of Health SOH for the battery? Any observations on this changing over time eg better after a balancing charge?
I've got the Car Scanner iOS app, think that shows SOH. Car is 7 months old and under 4k miles so still showing 100%

Keeping the OBD dongle plugged in all the time sets the alarm off, so I need to get a switched extension cable for ease. Still early days of use so should get more data over coming months

This was from February using Car Scanner

1649332149185.png

Not sure who needs to know this, but I’ve mapped the MG5LR OBD SOC values compared to the dashboard SOC from 6% to 100%, mapping the transition points and graphing to obtain to rough translation formula - so that ABRP can display accurate values for SOC that correspond to the car when reading from the OBD port.

Anyway, these are the translation formula - polynomial formula very slightly more accurate but not in any significant way

x = OBD reading via CarScanner
y = Car's SOC display

Polynomial : y = -0.0039x2 + 1.0929x - 0.0331
Linear : y = 1.0889x - 0.0323

At 100%, the OBD doesn’t go above 95% so guess there is a 5% top unused buffer to allow for degradation. Didn’t record below 6%, but above formula say 0% on car SOC will be 3.5% on OBD - so 3.5% buffer at bottom end.

1650287944550.png

Last edited:
Not sure who needs to know this, but I’ve mapped the MG5LR OBD SOC values compared to the dashboard SOC from 6% to 100%, mapping the transition points and graphing to obtain to rough translation formula - so that ABRP can display accurate values for SOC that correspond to the car when reading from the OBD port.

Anyway, these are the translation formula - polynomial formula very slightly more accurate but not in any significant way

x = OBD reading via CarScanner
y = Car's SOC display

Polynomial : y = -0.0039x2 + 1.0929x - 0.0331
Linear : y = 1.0889x - 0.0323

At 100%, the OBD doesn’t go above 95% so guess there is a 5% top unused buffer to allow for degradation. Didn’t record below 6%, but above formula say 0% on car SOC will be 3.5% on OBD - so 3.5% buffer at bottom end.

View attachment 7973
Absolutely top notch brilliant there young sir. I was enthralled and totally in agreement with your entire opening sentence. The ensuing explanation and graphics flew straight over my troubled brain causing a blurred fading of indeterminate proportions.
I applaud your determined efforts to investigate the mysteries of these fine vehicles but forgive me if I just ponder them superficially as I just drive the heck out of mine.

Absolutely top notch brilliant there young sir. I was enthralled and totally in agreement with your entire opening sentence. The ensuing explanation and graphics flew straight over my troubled brain causing a blurred fading of indeterminate proportions.
I applaud your determined efforts to investigate the mysteries of these fine vehicles but forgive me if I just ponder them superficially as I just drive the heck out of mine.
Very fair comment

Point Agree GIF by Ford

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom