MG5 ACC not always releasing

snowyy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have had a number of incidents where the cruise control does not release instantly and i have to give it another tap or two before it releases which is not great when your approaching a junction. Also had one incident where i left it on whilst in a queue at road works the car was stationary so decided to come out of ACC but it wouldn't allow it to release until the car in front moved so i held the car on the breaks until it was a safe distance away then it would release. Is this normal for this car?

Which version of the MG5 is this, on my pre facelift exclusive I can push the ACC/Pilot stick back and it turns ACC/Pilot off.

I have had a number of incidents where the cruise control does not release instantly and i have to give it another tap or two before it releases which is not great when your approaching a junction. Also had one incident where i left it on whilst in a queue at road works the car was stationary so decided to come out of ACC but it wouldn't allow it to release until the car in front moved so i held the car on the breaks until it was a safe distance away then it would release. Is this normal for this car?
If you're in ACC and stopped for more than 2 seconds you need to either tap the throttle or flick the ACC stalk towards you once quickly to resume.
Stopped for less than 2 seconds it will resume on its own.
Applying the footbrake disengages ACC but does not turn it off. Resume as above.
Details are in the manual.

If you're in ACC and stopped for more than 2 seconds you need to either tap the throttle or flick the ACC stalk towards you once quickly to resume.
Stopped for less than 2 seconds it will resume on its own.
Applying the footbrake disengages ACC but does not turn it off. Resume as above.
Details are in the manual.
hi i understand that but i have had incidents where i have had to tap the throttle more than once it's not always that responsive.

Which version of the MG5 is this, on my pre facelift exclusive I can push the ACC/Pilot stick back and it turns ACC/Pilot off.
face lift

hi i understand that but i have had incidents where i have had to tap the throttle more than once it's not always that responsive.
Try flicking the stalk towards you once quickly. I use this method now.

think the idea of cruise control is that it disengages when you touch the brake

should of said tap the brakes
That works but it isn't the intended method really, as it briefly lights up the brake lights, which may confuse your followers ( - well I presume that's the reason, it's just not on the recommended list of methods AFAIK).

Anybody who gets confused by seeing brake lights come on shouldn't be driving, it's not as if they're a new invention. 🙄

That works but it isn't the intended method really, as it briefly lights up the brake lights, which may confuse your followers ( - well I presume that's the reason, it's just not on the recommended list of methods AFAIK).
This is from the Web... To decelerate, either tap the appropriate button on the cruise control system or quickly apply the brake. As a safety precaution, almost every model of car will deactivate the cruise control as soon as the brake is applied.

Yes, as you say, that's to decelerate. The brakes do well at that.

I'm not trying to preach on how to use it, I am just trying to recount a recollection from my IAM training that touching the brakes isn't "preferred" way if your intent is just to disengage the cruise control, as opposed to braking.

The Auto Express Complete Guide to Cruise Control says "To deactivate cruise control, you simply press a button to regain control of the throttle. However, one important safety feature that all of these systems are required to have is that the system will immediately deactivate if the car's brakes are applied." which is saying that the fact that the CC turns off when using the brakes is there as a safety feature rather than a method of deactivation.

There are other ways that will disengage it but you wouldn't want to use them really, so they are not the preferred way either. But you are of course free to use whatever method suits you.

Last edited:
think the idea of cruise control is that it disengages when you touch the brake

should of said tap the brakes
Correct, I was referring to resuming ACC after it had been disengaged. flicking the ACC stalk towards you quickly will do that.

Yes, I've noticed a few times that ACC has been slow to disengage when selected to standby using the stalk. It always works instantly with the brake pedal though. Slowing down coming to a roundabout and just flicking the ACC to standby with the stalk and sometimes it feels like the ACC is still moving the car forward, but thinking about it then it could be that the regen is not kicking in immediately and the car is coasting rather than braking under regen when the ACC is disengaged but in standby.

Yes, I've noticed a few times that ACC has been slow to disengage when selected to standby using the stalk. It always works instantly with the brake pedal though. Slowing down coming to a roundabout and just flicking the ACC to standby with the stalk and sometimes it feels like the ACC is still moving the car forward, but thinking about it then it could be that the regen is not kicking in immediately and the car is coasting rather than braking under regen when the ACC is disengaged but in standby.
Slightly confused when you say 'Slowing down coming to a roundabout and just flicking the ACC to standby with the stalk'
By pushing the stalk away, you are turning ACC off, not to standby. You can see the ACC symbol on the dash, orange when in standby and green when engaged, and not there at all when off. Touching the brakes whilst it is working (engaged) returns it to standby.

By pushing the stalk away, you are turning ACC off, not to standby
I think there is some confusion here!

@Vince31 mentions flicking the ACC which is done by quickly tapping the stalk in the "away (from the driver)" direction and which does put the ACC into standby mode. You don't use a sustained or long push, if you do the stalk actually stays moved slightly forward and does fully turn off the ACC.

I quite regularly use the flick to put the ACC into standby.

Slightly confused when you say 'Slowing down coming to a roundabout and just flicking the ACC to standby with the stalk'
By pushing the stalk away, you are turning ACC off, not to standby. You can see the ACC symbol on the dash, orange when in standby and green when engaged, and not there at all when off. Touching the brakes whilst it is working (engaged) returns it to standby.
If you just momentarily push the stalk forwards, so it doesn't actually lock in the forwards position, then the ACC will drop into Standby (orange mode). I use this to temporary disable ACC when approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway for instance, and then a quick single pull on the stalk re-engages it (and MG Pilot too if you had it on before) at the same setting as before.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom