MG5 Android Auto reboots

Frank LeTank

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello,

I'm in the middle of my first long trip in my MG5 and between the woeful state of public charging and Google Maps repeatedly crashing the infotainment, I'm not in a great mood.

Is the maps problem something that's well known? Is there a fix for it?

It seems to reboot specifically when doing a voice search. As I'm usually searching for a charging point and low on juice it's far from ideal.

It can be caused by loss of connection on the cable. If I put it phone in the pocket on the passenger side and leave it alone its fine. If I put it drivers side and I knock it with my leg it can cause AA to crash.

Good quality cable. Clean charger port. Leave it alone when in use.

Not a problem I've come across but is it a Xiaomi phone, or another brand which uses MUIU?

If so it could conceivably be a by-product of a problem I have but I doubt it.

It seems to reboot specifically when doing a voice search. As I'm usually searching for a charging point and low on juice it's far from ideal.
Yes I get the same with Google maps after a voice search the infotainment crashes.

My solution is to use the tomtom app which seems pretty stable. Downside is £12/YR subscription

No not waze, was using the tomtom app already. It works quite nicely on androidauto, and has offline maps so you don't need a connection or remember to download your route if out in the sticks.

There's a known problem affecting Android auto and Google maps. I suggest using an alternative such as Waze for now

its annoying and very repeatable, it appears to be something to do with the zoom animation. if you have a route in and driving it, then search (either by voice or type if parked up) then for a small fraction it starts to animate to the "found" search results and then it crashes the head unit.

i just assumed it was some bug in the head unit that didnt implement that graphics handling properly so avoided doing those steps!

still a bit bad that Android Auto can crash the headunit to the point of reboot!

As a development... my phone updated to the new version of android auto (see photo below) and since this update i havent been able to crash it like i could before.

Its only been one trip but so far so good so thought I'd share!
20230209_171107.jpg

My car has been parked up for a few days unused. I noticed an AA update on my phone during this time and when I got in he car this morning none of my navigation apps would plan a route. !!! :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom