MG5 Auto lights and wipers

DewiSant

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I've owned several vehicles in the past with auto headlights and wipers going back to 2003 and a Saab 93. Since then I've had BMW's, Audi's, Passats and Mondeo's and in every one of them the lights would come on with the wipers. On my facelift MG5 this doesn't happen, does anyone know if there's a setting I need to change or is it just another thing that MG have missed off?

Why on earth would you want this?
Why not? I've never found any issues with auto lights or wipers on any of my cars.

If it rains heavily requiring the wipers to be on constant it is a highway code requirement that you also switch your lights on. As I said, in all other cars with auto lights and wipers I've owned they have automatically switched on lights when the wipers have been activated.

Being pedantic, it's a Highway Code recommendation not a requirement. The requirement is to put your lights on if visibility is seriously reduced (which can be a result of heavy rain of course).

The lights didn't come on with the wipers on any of the Mk1, Mk3 or Mk4 Mondeos I had, nor with any of the Priuses I had.

I previously had an MG6 and the automatic lights and wipers operated completely independent of each other.

I owned a 54 plate and a 68 plate Mondeo Titanium and on both the lights came on alongside the wipers (on constant, not intermittent wipe).

I've owned several vehicles in the past with auto headlights and wipers going back to 2003 and a Saab 93. Since then I've had BMW's, Audi's, Passats and Mondeo's and in every one of them the lights would come on with the wipers. On my facelift MG5 this doesn't happen, does anyone know if there's a setting I need to change or is it just another thing that MG have missed off?
Same with our zs. I think it was originally a bmw idea (I may be wrong) to have lights on with continual wipers. Asked our dealer about it and they don’t seem to offer this as an option. Once you’re used to it, as i was, you do miss it !

Same with our zs. I think it was originally a bmw idea (I may be wrong) to have lights on with continual wipers. Asked our dealer about it and they don’t seem to offer this as an option. Once you’re used to it, as i was, you do miss it !
Thanks for your answer Matt, as you said having had it on other cars it is something you get used to and miss.

Why not? I've never found any issues with auto lights or wipers on any of my cars.

If it rains heavily requiring the wipers to be on constant it is a highway code requirement that you also switch your lights on. As I said, in all other cars with auto lights and wipers I've owned they have automatically switched on lights when the wipers have been activated.
From my experience when is cloudy and raining the cars with auto low and high beams switch on automatically the lights. There is no need that wipers should be correlated with lights. Lights and wipers being automated should switch on straight away in case of rain and so the lights.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom