Mg5 auto lights not working at dusk

earlyboy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got a 72 plate mg5 exclusive. The auto light sensor goes crazy at dusk and in the dartford tunnel like it’s confused by the lighting level. It causes the infotainment screen and dash to momentarily flash multiple times. The only way to stop it is to switch to manual lights until it is darker outside. Anyone else experienced this?

Check the forum search function and you will find several threads about this. For some they work well, for others not so.

Raise it with your dealer but I'm not sure there's a solution at the moment.

Thanks very much. So do we just put up with it then?
No, you can turn auto off and use your lights like other cars that don't have auto. You'll find that auto wipers have their likers and dislikers as well. In fact anything auto is subject to being iffy.

Please report it to your dealer. It only seems to affect my22 year cars. MG UK are aware, but will only register it as an issue via dealers. The more complaints more likely they will do something.

Flickering may affect more recent cars but the insensitivity problem (failure to switch lights on at dusk) has been there from day one.

Don't use auto lights.

Indeed!

Except the MG5 "defaults" to auto lights every time it is started. So the onus is always on the driver to deactivate them on any occasion when the ambient light is liable to cause them to activate.

It causes the infotainment screen and dash to momentarily flash multiple times

I assume this is with the facelift MG5? It's not something I've experienced on a pre-facelift.

I had an interesting one with the auto head lights today when I had a minor coming together with another car when he changed lane without warning. I'd seen his indicator but assumed he would wait for me to pass, which didn't happen.

Luckily we both got away with minor scuffing and it became obvious through our discussion that the the roundabout underpass we were under had triggered the headlights which he'd taken as me inviting him across into the lane, which I hadn't intended. We're both dealing with our own damage and the discussion was friendly enough, so all's well and so on.

Worth a thought.

This is why I don't like auto lights.
They are on my other car (luckily default OFF) and I haven't ever used the auto function in the ten years I've had it.

I had a heart stopping moment recently when travelling along a dark A road. As I rounded a bend the headlights picked up a car waiting at a side road junction and dipped, then almost immediately switched to main beam and back again. Clearly the headlights couldn't decide what to do. Needless to say the car thought I was flashing him and pulled out (I know he was in the wrong). Fortunately I had feeling the car was going to do that and was prepared.

Another problem with mine is that they dip sometimes from light reflected from road signs. There is one sharp bend where I live with a road sign just before you get to it, every time the headlights dip and plunge me into darkness.

Turned the auto dip function off now as they are dangerous and pointless in my view - not that difficult to toggle a dip switch!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom