MG5 Breakdown

Scorpion

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
expand...
Driving home with 8 miles left to travel and with 18% battery and 34 miles range showing i thought this was no problem but my MG5 went into limited speed mode while running at 65 mph on cruise control on the M1, within 1/2 mile i had red triangle warning light on the right hand side of the driver display saying battery charge fail, shortly after an orange symbol in the right hand side of the driver display marked HV with a line through the symbol and a message in the middle of the driver display saying HV offline then i coasted to a standstill on the hard shoulder, it took the RAC 3 hours to recover me, the car had to be dragged onto the transporter as the handbrake wouldn't release and the 12V battery was nearly dead as well. I was driven to a rapid charger to try and get some life into the car so it could be driven off the transporter but it failed to charge twice so has been returned to the dealer for repairs, my dealer has recharged the car and test driven the vehicle say the car is fine. Some information from the vehicle has been requested by MGUK before the vehicle will be returned, I'm currently still waiting for the return of the MG

Sorry you experienced this. It's slightly worrying to say the least.

Sorry you experienced this. It's slightly worrying to say the least.
Does appear to be a rare issue, not seen anyone else with same experience, car had not been charged since delivery. Have heard of other people going into restricted power but normally well below 18% so waiting for MGUK to investigate from data. Don't think this is a problem with the MG5 just an isolated failure of some description.

I'm definitely going to be cautious about using the cruise control when SOC is low.

I finally got to pick up the car yesterday, it's all running superbly (seems to be running better than new, to be honest i think it's running on adrenalin not electric at the moment). Absolutely over the moon to get it back just hope everything is fixed now. Didn't get any indication of what was finally done it was a "no paperwork, no bill to pay, can you please take it now we have a delivery of cars due" sort of time.

I finally got to pick up the car yesterday, it's all running superbly (seems to be running better than new, to be honest i think it's running on adrenalin not electric at the moment). Absolutely over the moon to get it back just hope everything is fixed now. Didn't get any indication of what was finally done it was a "no paperwork, no bill to pay, can you please take it now we have a delivery of cars due" sort of time.
Personally I'd be keen to press for a fault report. Plus, I'm sure we (on this forum) would all like to know if it was a component failure or something else. I think you will have to make the same journey at the same time just with same SoC to test it for us! 😀

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom