MG5 complete failure after wet road

Any car should be able to wade through that depth water there must be a faulty something that the warrant should cover.🤞
My MG5 pre facelift has been through deeper than that with no issues.

I am very sorry to hear about your problem.
Living in Sunny Wales I encountera lot of rain and floodwater. The other dayI drove through several areas of flooded road (at least 100mm deep) I had no problem. I dont know if there have been any design changes that affect the problem but for nearly 3 years my SR MG5 has been very good.

I hope they manage to sort your problem out, I remember bending 3 conn rods on my Fiat Punto when it injested water in a flood ;- no fun !!
I have driven my MG5 in deep water and no issues.

Our MG 5 continues to be a pain. After CarPlay died and the radio kept rebooting, now we have a complete HV system failure. It was towed to Peterborough but they can’t look at it for several days.

Full HV shutdown whilst driving, a short while after going through a minor flood. I’m told it was about 75mm deep, it was crossed slowly and carefully using the crown of the road as the highest point. Lots of traffic and every other car got through fine, even a classic Mini. But ours got through and died a few seconds later on the other side.

MG Assist disconnected the 12V and cleared all the codes but as soon as the HV starts up it falls and shuts itself off. They tried multiple times before giving up.

What kind of car can’t handle a few inches of water?

We talked to the insurance but after hearing “water” and “EV” they immediately wanted to declare it a total loss. We’re going to wait to see what the garage say before taking that route. It shouldn’t have failed so I think it might be a warranty claim. Or maybe it’ll be happy once it has dried out and they stick a bit of WD40 in the sockets?
Contact Electric Vehicle Servicing | EV Servicing | Cleevely Electric Vehicles
they might sort you out

Had to go though a fairly deep and unexpected flood last autumn in our MG5 Face Lift. Was worried but had no issues.

12V battery issues seem to be common on a lot of EV's wonder if it was just a weird coincidence.

Our MG 5 continues to be a pain. After CarPlay died and the radio kept rebooting, now we have a complete HV system failure. It was towed to Peterborough but they can’t look at it for several days.

Full HV shutdown whilst driving, a short while after going through a minor flood. I’m told it was about 75mm deep, it was crossed slowly and carefully using the crown of the road as the highest point. Lots of traffic and every other car got through fine, even a classic Mini. But ours got through and died a few seconds later on the other side.

MG Assist disconnected the 12V and cleared all the codes but as soon as the HV starts up it falls and shuts itself off. They tried multiple times before giving up.

What kind of car can’t handle a few inches of water?

We talked to the insurance but after hearing “water” and “EV” they immediately wanted to declare it a total loss. We’re going to wait to see what the garage say before taking that route. It shouldn’t have failed so I think it might be a warranty claim. Or maybe it’ll be happy once it has dried out and they stick a bit of WD40 in the sockets?
Declare the vehicle unfit for purpose and reject it. There are too many faults appearing on all MG models. Just totally bad engineering.

Sorry to hear about your problems. My zs was not seen for 3 weeks after a total failure of the electrics.. Albeit mine was left running with no cut off and no handbrake. These time delays seem to be an mg issue.

They claimed that everything under the bonnet was sopping wet and needed drying out so it was our fault. I didn’t have the energy to argue so I paid the man and left. You can choose to visit MG Peterborough in future, or not, as you see fit.

They claimed that everything under the bonnet was sopping wet and needed drying out so it was our fault.
As many owners can attest, a fully functioning car will handle ‘sopping wet’ just fine. It’s more than just a question of £££, how confident are you that this isn’t going to happen again?

Sorry to hear about your problems. My zs was not seen for 3 weeks after a total failure of the electrics.. Albeit mine was left running with no cut off and no handbrake. These time delays seem to be an mg issue.

The dealer in my city is swamped with MG faults, everything takes weeks to arrange.

As many owners can attest, a fully functioning car will handle ‘sopping wet’ just fine. It’s more than just a question of £££, how confident are you that this isn’t going to happen again?
So confident I’m literally sat in in a Hyundai dealer right now.

The Hyundai dealer was good, but the Citroën dealer was better. I’ve ordered an e-C4 and can’t wait to see the back of my MG5. Buggy radio, the CarPlay and Android Auto stopped working, it has electrics that don’t like rain, and dealers who are unable to get anything useful out of MG UK. If you see my other posts, we drove this car with no radio (or reverse camera or indicator tell-tale sound) for four weeks last year and they put it back having fixed nothing. If you have a 5 and you like it, I’m very happy for you. I’m aware that my experience is probably unusual. But it is my experience and I’ve had enough.

The Hyundai dealer was good, but the Citroën dealer was better. I’ve ordered an e-C4 and can’t wait to see the back of my MG5. Buggy radio, the CarPlay and Android Auto stopped working, it has electrics that don’t like rain, and dealers who are unable to get anything useful out of MG UK. If you see my other posts, we drove this car with no radio (or reverse camera or indicator tell-tale sound) for four weeks last year and they put it back having fixed nothing. If you have a 5 and you like it, I’m very happy for you. I’m aware that my experience is probably unusual. But it is my experience and I’ve had enough.
Not just you, I can’t wait to see the back of mine too. Good luck with the Citroen

Cleverley Autos will fix your issues quickly & cheaply, they are real experts who live on MG5s

My Citroen eC4 needed a software update. I downloaded the official Citroen Update app for Mac, it fetched the update and wrote it to a USB key. I put the key in the car and it installed the updates. Both firmware and maps. So easy.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom