MG5 emergency kit - what would you consider to be essential?

martintheb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So I've got an MG5 and I'm planning a trip from York to deepest darkest Devon soon. So I thought I ought to have an emergency kit in the boot.

So, I'd like to throw it out there - what should I have in the boot, apart from what is supplied?

So far I have:-
  • screen washer liquid
  • footpump
  • 10mm spanner for factory reset (!)
  • jump leads (question - could I use a car starter?)
  • type 2 charge cable
  • granny charger
Do I need spare bulbs? How often does a bulb fail?

So - anything obvious I've missed?

Other bits I would consider are:

Warning triangle
Umbrella/waterproof coat
Hi viz waistcoat
1 method of "paying at pump" (in case I go out without my wallet, or lose it)
Spare key (with someone else if poss)

I think a screwdriver is also needed for the battery reset (to take off the "engine" cover maybe?)

No need for spare bulbs, screen washer stuff IMO as they are readily available and aren't emergency

I'd question the foot pump and jump leads too but others may not agree (you have AA membership after all)

Other bits I would consider are:

Warning triangle
Umbrella/waterproof coat
Hi viz waistcoat
1 method of "paying at pump" (in case I go out without my wallet, or lose it)
Spare key (with someone else if poss)

I think a screwdriver is also needed for the battery reset (to take off the "engine" cover maybe?)

No need for spare bulbs, screen washer stuff IMO as they are readily available and aren't emergency

I'd question the foot pump and jump leads too but others may not agree (you have AA membership after all)
Having run out of screen washer on a damp day on the motorway, I would disagree with it not being an emergency. I used the wiper and suddenly my screen was so smeared that I literally couldn't see out. I'm never going through that again.

My first reaction was - what red plastic thing in the boot lip? So I strolled out to the car, and yes indeed there IS a red plastic thing in the boot lip and, good heavens! - it DOES contain a warning triangle! :)

You live and learn. Thanks!

An air pump is a very good idea but an electric one (preferably battery powered) is better than a foot pump.

An air pump is a very good idea but an electric one (preferably battery powered) is better than a foot pump.
Fair point, but I have a foot pump already and it works fine. One day, I might upgrade ;)

jump leads (question - could I use a car starter?)

I carry both - never used either. I had them in the old ice car and they seem useful for this car so I keep them.

I also have everything on your bullet point list (except the screen wash) and also the official MG spare tyre. Seems like a waste of space / weight with breakdown cover from MG but it feels better to have.

And don’t forget the essentials for the driver if you are waiting long-time for the breakdown services! I suggest a few packets of crisps and maybe a couple of cans of soft drink.

Spare bulbs can go to a Halfords and they replace it for you during the day 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom