MG5 EV App for iPhone or Android ?

Ashok

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
When will there be an App like the MG iSMART available for MG5 EV Exclusive. I wasted many hours tried to bind the phone app to the car but then was told by dealer it’s not for the MG5 EV. So what’s happening on this front ?

The facelift MG5 (due in UK 2023 at a guess) will have the app. As 5teep said, you won't get an app on the current MG5.

Our only hope is OVMS but I don't think they've solved the alarm problem yet.

When will there be an App like the MG iSMART available for MG5 EV Exclusive. I wasted many hours tried to bind the phone app to the car but then was told by dealer it’s not for the MG5 EV. So what’s happening on this front ?
The current MG5 had no app facility. The facelift MG5 will.

It should not be a big problem for the manufacturer to update the software to do this on the MG 5 exclusive

Why should it not be a big problem?

Ah the favourite 'it should be easy to just' with absolutely zero clue about what is involved.

For the OP.. The cars were built without the critical hardware needed to provide an app, to comply with GDPR regulations, as the pre facelift vehicles outside of Europe send data back to shanghai which is prohibited. MG have now done a deal with Amazon in Europe to provision the connectivity for the facelift using the AWS infrastructure. Great for that with a facelift ZS and late 22/early 23 facelift 5 and when they arrive in the UK, the mg3 and marvel.

Ah the favourite 'it should be easy to just' with absolutely zero clue about what is involved.

For the OP.. The cars were built without the critical hardware needed to provide an app, to comply with GDPR regulations, as the pre facelift vehicles outside of Europe send data back to shanghai which is prohibited. MG have now done a deal with Amazon in Europe to provision the connectivity for the facelift using the AWS infrastructure. Great for that with a facelift ZS and late 22/early 23 facelift 5 and when they arrive in the UK, the mg3 and marvel.
I didn't know that was the reason, makes sense though. Thanks for this.

Like most things, it’s not impossible just impractical and cost prohibitive for both manufacturer and end user. So, unless someone wants to spend time and money getting something like OVMS to work fully with current MG5, we are where we are.

The facelift MG5 (due in UK 2023 at a guess) will have the app. As 5teep said, you won't get an app on the current MG5.
Could be sooner as Miles announced that MG will not be taking any more orders for the MG5 LR after 28th April.

Could be sooner as Miles announced that MG will not be taking any more orders for the MG5 LR after 28th April.
The rest of his posts on that thread confirmed for me we won't see the new one until 2023! People placing orders now for the current MG5 are unlikely to have them delivered before October/November.

Thanks for your post, I was just about to spend similar hours trying to do the same thing.

Because the computer chips etc are already on board included in the Vehicle control management chip. Just like the iPhones get se updates same should apply here. This is what I was implying
But it doesn't have these chips/hardware, so how can it not be a big problem?

The cars were built without the critical hardware needed to provide an app, to comply with GDPR regulations, as the pre facelift vehicles outside of Europe send data back to shanghai which is prohibited. MG have now done a deal with Amazon in Europe to provision the connectivity for the facelift using the AWS infrastructure.

Putting a redirect in to change the data repository isn't rocket science for the software engineers at SAIC. But as we all knowingly bought the cars without the feature I can see why they are reluctant to do so as developing the software in parallel to run on the firmware in the existing cars as well as the new cars would be a pain for little benefit to SAIC. Far easier to persuade existing owners that are bothered about it to flip their existing cars and buy a nice shiny new one. To me it isn't worth the extra cost, but I'd have it if it was free. ;)

Indeed. Look "how easy" :rolleyes: VW have found it to get the ID.3 to accept OTA updates and even carry out basic functionality in their new software environment despite having been gifted extra time due to Covid delays.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom