MG5 EV Exclusive - Entertainment System constant reboot

Hasko

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

Been reading through the forums since getting my MG5 Ev at the end of March (new) and have loved it so far. Now I have a problem, I thought it worth a quick post, mainly to confirm my suspicions. I've been through the threads and there are similar issues but none with quite the same issue but if anyone wants to direct me to a pertinent thread, then no worries.

Yesterday, jumped in the car, had charged it to 80% overnight from a home charger point and plugged in my iphone as normal. Music came on via iphone but no screen. Then constant attempts at reboot with the MG logo appearing, some clicks then back to black. This happened when driving to work, at lunch and the end of the day. Rear camera when reversing still works, and if I plug phone in then the apple music screen appears and will play but screen completely non responsive. Assumed here that it us reading it from my phone and then nothing else. After reading through threads etc. I have tried the following:

1) Holding down the power button for 20-30 seconds on the unit. It will reboot it to the MG logo then die again.
2) Removed the negative cable from the 12v battery for 20 minutes, reattached and then powered up to ready. Car came back alive but entertainment centre the same.
3) Tried to check fuses but struggled to trace the fuse for the entertainment centre to see if it had blown.

I've called my dealership who have said it is at least 3 weeks before they can look at it and with a very long journey this weekend, I think I'm going without the entertainmnet system. More worried that it constantly cycling will cause issues.

I suspect the issue is that it needs rebooting and system restarting from scratch via software update or possibly a hardware fault which means I need to wait those 3 weeks. I've experienced issues with the screen restarting or not booting but had always rectified itself within 1-2 goes and this seemed pretty typical from what I had read.

Anyone had the same?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have not had this exact issue but I do have an issue with the entertainment system. In my case it seems that the processor is overloaded. I can turn the car on and be 300 yards down the road before the entertainment system turns on, I get the MG logo on a black screen meanwhile. Key presses are variable in response to such an extent I gave up trying to enter an address into the sat nav. Android Auto has never worked. It has been into the workshop for "repair" twice. Returned to me without a word and clearly not fixed. It is due back in next week and I have to say that my patience is wearing thin!
Other than this one issue, like you, I really like the car.

Regards,

Simon

My system went through a regular reboot cycle. It ended up being that the central power button was getting stuck in. I only noticed when turning the volume knob and the centre button popped out.

Had the same on ZS ice recently. Dealer took it out and sent it back to MG uk to fix. Only took a week or so once booked in. No problems since.

Hi all,

Been reading through the forums since getting my MG5 Ev at the end of March (new) and have loved it so far. Now I have a problem, I thought it worth a quick post, mainly to confirm my suspicions. I've been through the threads and there are similar issues but none with quite the same issue but if anyone wants to direct me to a pertinent thread, then no worries.

Yesterday, jumped in the car, had charged it to 80% overnight from a home charger point and plugged in my iphone as normal. Music came on via iphone but no screen. Then constant attempts at reboot with the MG logo appearing, some clicks then back to black. This happened when driving to work, at lunch and the end of the day. Rear camera when reversing still works, and if I plug phone in then the apple music screen appears and will play but screen completely non responsive. Assumed here that it us reading it from my phone and then nothing else. After reading through threads etc. I have tried the following:

1) Holding down the power button for 20-30 seconds on the unit. It will reboot it to the MG logo then die again.
2) Removed the negative cable from the 12v battery for 20 minutes, reattached and then powered up to ready. Car came back alive but entertainment centre the same.
3) Tried to check fuses but struggled to trace the fuse for the entertainment centre to see if it had blown.

I've called my dealership who have said it is at least 3 weeks before they can look at it and with a very long journey this weekend, I think I'm going without the entertainmnet system. More worried that it constantly cycling will cause issues.

I suspect the issue is that it needs rebooting and system restarting from scratch via software update or possibly a hardware fault which means I need to wait those 3 weeks. I've experienced issues with the screen restarting or not booting but had always rectified itself within 1-2 goes and this seemed pretty typical from what I had read.

Anyone had the same?

Cheers,

Chris
Which dealer ? May be worth trying a different one.

My system went through a regular reboot cycle. It ended up being that the central power button was getting stuck in. I only noticed when turning the volume knob and the centre button popped out.
Thanks for the reply! I'll give it another try. I spent a lot of time pressing it in and turning the volume knob in desperation, but after working in I.T for so long, I know little things like this can cause issues!

Had the same on ZS ice recently. Dealer took it out and sent it back to MG uk to fix. Only took a week or so once booked in. No problems since.
Thanks for replying - that's reassuring. It's not the end of the world and defects in computers happen so it is good to hear that it can be fixed.

Not had constant rebooting but get the occasional reboot for no apparent reason? Happened today actually. Sometimes happens when phone is connected to the USB but not always. Quite random. Hoping someday they'll be a software update that may fix this? Good luck,hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom