MG5 EV heater off

KaloyanP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello everyone, we have had MG5 exclusive for 5 months and we love it. Just wanted to ask a question about the heating/climate control system. Is it possible to use the fan only without having the heater on. I just can't figure this out. When the weather is fine around 15-17 degrees we do not need neither heating or A/C on, just the fan blowing like a normal car. If I have the heating off, and I want to turn the fan on, the heating turns itself, so the range reduces.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Unless you have it set to auto, heating and fan control is independent so just set the temperature control to minimum and you can do what you like with the fan. That's how my car works at least.

Unless you have it set to auto, heating and fan control is independent so just set the temperature control to minimum and you can do what you like with the fan. That's how my car works at least.
I have tried this however the range goes down every time I touch the fan knob.

Yes it always wacks 20 miles off at 100% and about 10 at 50% etc.just ignore that if you're just using the fan or even Aircon, it goes back up when you turn it back off. It's just a guesstimate of the reduced range with heating on

I have tried this however the range goes down every time I touch the fan knob.
So your actual concern is a decreasing guestimate of range when the fan is running, not that heating is on when it hasn't been selected?

So your actual concern is a decreasing guestimate of range when the fan is running, not that heating is on when it hasn't been selected?
Yes, I would just like to have the fan on when the weather is suitable, without affecting the range. What I am saying is that with heating off whenever I try to adjust the fan speed or direction, the heating turns on without touching the left knob and therefore the range decreases.

Yes it always wacks 20 miles off at 100% and about 10 at 50% etc.just ignore that if you're just using the fan or even Aircon, it goes back up when you turn it back off. It's just a guesstimate of the reduced range with heating on
Thanks

Yes, I would just like to have the fan on when the weather is suitable, without affecting the range. What I am saying is that with heating off whenever I try to adjust the fan speed or direction, the heating turns on without touching the left knob and therefore the range decreases.
Just set the climate temp using the heater knob to the same temp as the displayed outside temp…. Simple
but The range will be affected whenever the fan is running.
so just switch it off and open a window then you will see 15+ miles extra on the Gom.

Just set the climate temp using the heater knob to the same temp as the displayed outside temp…. Simple
but The range will be affected whenever the fan is running.
so just switch it off and open a window then you will see 15+ miles extra on the Gom.
Thanks, yes I have tried different things, just been wondering is there another way. The other EV in the family is e 24KW Leaf and it allows me to switch A/C or heating on and off, and to have the fan on without affecting the range. I just find MG5 lacking this option a bit strange, that's it.
Thank again everyone for your help

Thanks, yes I have tried different things, just been wondering is there another way. The other EV in the family is e 24KW Leaf and it allows me to switch A/C or heating on and off, and to have the fan on without affecting the range. I just find MG5 lacking this option a bit strange, that's it.
Thank again everyone for your help
The heater is never 'on' when the temperature is set to 'lo'. What you are referring to as 'range' is simply a slightly weighted guess based on a simple, but flawed, algorithm.

It simply (incorrectly) assumes that, if the HVAC system is in use at all, you will get lower range - that's why you don't see any difference in range when you crank the heat right up. It's the same if you switch into Sport mode. It's just poor programming, not actually reduced range.

The heater is never 'on' when the temperature is set to 'lo'. What you are referring to as 'range' is simply a slightly weighted guess based on a simple, but flawed, algorithm.

It simply (incorrectly) assumes that, if the HVAC system is in use at all, you will get lower range - that's why you don't see any difference in range when you crank the heat right up. It's the same if you switch into Sport mode. It's just poor programming, not actually reduced range.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to find out. Keeping temp on LO the heating is off, and yes saying range, I meant guessometer on the dash.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom