MG5 ev heavy tyre wear?

kevmarg0

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all I’m new to this forum as I’ve recently purchased a 2021 MG5 exite ev!
overall I’m very happy with the car but there’s a little niggle going round in my head?
the car was an ex demo with just over 6000 miles showing,
But looking at the front tyres I’m sceptical about this as the wear across both front tyres is around 3 to 4mm.
this seems excessibe for this mileage?
has anyone experienced this amount of tyre wear?
I spoke to the salesman who said there policy was that if the car had a minimum 3mm wear then this was ok!
If this is normal for a 6000 mile car then I’ll just have to accept his reply but previous experience with diesel cars
shows that this amount of wear isn’t normal.
any positive feedback would be much appreciated.
thanks for reading my post!

Traction control in mg5 seems to be a bit slow to kick in so I expect when people test drove it and wanted to see what the acceleration was like, probably caused when spin at several points

That sounds feasible and my initial thoughts were along those lines, The salesman was adamant that the car was driven very carefully by everyone who drove it, But there is no uneven running or flat spots, To be honest I’d put my money on the wheels having been swapped with a higher mileage car before I took delivery I can’t obviously prove this but from memory I was impressed with the wheels and rubber on the car at first viewing. It sounds petty that I’d think this but it’s not an old car and my gut instinct points to this.
thanks for your input.

While doing my research I have not read about tyre wear to that extent and would agree with TJips that this being an ex demo and I'm sure I'm not the only one to see how powerful a car is when doing a test drive, has time limited the tyres.
However for the seller to state that is their policy about 3mm would be an instant deal breaker, unless of course you personally worked out a deal or this sale was a great deal for you.

I’ve done 17k miles in mine and the tyres are legal, I will be replacing the fronts in the next month or so as they are nearing the limit, will be ready for the cold weather and rain. The rears have loads of tread. Definitely wear quicker as the amount of wheel spinning I’ve done off the lights wouldn’t have helped 🤪

Wheel spin is very easy to do in the mg5 if the road surface is wet or has loose grit. A test drive especially would be a time that it will happen as drivers get used to the instant response when accelerating.

My fronts are wearing more than the rears but like the others have said it is so easy to spin the wheels as the torque is so great.
What is the rear wear like?

I've found that if they're over inflated they wear quickly. For some reason dealers tend to massively over inflate them above the required 32PSI

There is no way the car will have been driven carefully as a demonstrator so you should only concern yourself with wear rates starting from your ownership.
I'd be changing them at 3mm regardless.

I've found that if they're over inflated they wear quickly. For some reason dealers tend to massively over inflate them above the required 32PSI
They are overinflated during delivery to avoid flat spotting and this is normal practice in the industry.
That should be corrected at PDI and it's one of the things you can easily check for yourself when you collect the car.

Rear tyres are like new! I really can’t believe that after only 6000 miles that the fronts are so low!
All at 2.1bar, around 31/32psi.

They are overinflated during delivery to avoid flat spotting and this is normal practice in the industry.
That should be corrected at PDI and it's one of the things you can easily check for yourself when you collect the car.
All at 2.1bar, around 31/32psi.
All at 2.1 bar.

That sounds feasible and my initial thoughts were along those lines, The salesman was adamant that the car was driven very carefully by everyone who drove it, But there is no uneven running or flat spots, To be honest I’d put my money on the wheels having been swapped with a higher mileage car before I took delivery I can’t obviously prove this but from memory I was impressed with the wheels and rubber on the car at first viewing. It sounds petty that I’d think this but it’s not an old car and my gut instinct points to this.
thanks for your input.
If the wheels were swapped then would the person doing so also need to reprogramme the pressure sensors to match the car?

Have you measured how many mm is left on the rears and what is the difference between front and rear ?
I'm convinced tyre manufacturers are putting less tread on than they used to.

Swap them over? I tend to do that once the fronts get to 'half-life). That way, having old, potentially perished tyres on the back can be avoided.
Swapping them over would require reprogramming of the sensors.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom