MG5 EV Mysterious Driving Noise

RMGEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,

I’ve got an 8 month old MG5 EV SR that I’ve owned for just over a month. Never owned an MG before and never owned an EV. When driving, it makes an odd noise every 5 to 10mins (not regular). It sounds a bit like you’re driving over a rumble strip (quietly) for about a second and I can feel the vibration through the accelerator pedal. Immediately after this noise there’s two tapping noises, similar to the noise of a stone hitting the front of the car, that sound like they come from the passenger front side (but I could be mishearing). It happens regardless of speed, at 30mph or at 70pmph, and happens regardless of whether cruise control is on or not. I’m assuming this isn’t normal, but before I contact the garage has anyone had a similar noise, or have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks!

Hi RMGEV, I have just come to this thread from you post in the roof box thread ,very strange these nosies and no I can’t be of any help with it other than to say get it back to your dealer to have them look into it ASAP.

You also mentioned about MGs warranties well on the MG website and on hear somewhere there is a comprehensive breakdown on these but only having the car for a month or so surely everything must be under warranty.
You will find when you read the MG warranty statements that not everything is covered under the so call 7 year warranty they advertise main components, most are covered but you still have that wear and tear clauses on many items.

But in your case everything should be covered, what I mean by that is, I could buy a car for a couple of grand and get a 3-12 months warranty on it from anywhere, but you got yours from a MG dealership so there should be no questions just get it back to them ASAP.
Les.

Upvote 0
Could it be a wheel bearing? I had one go and it only made the strange rumbly sound/feeling at 32mph. Faster or slower was fine, must have been the resonance frequency.

Upvote 0
Thanks both. I’ll book it in to my local dealership (which isn’t the one I bought it from as that’s about 90 miles away) next week. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a normal thing on a EV car before I did so!

Upvote 0
Thanks both. I’ll book it in to my local dealership (which isn’t the one I bought it from as that’s about 90 miles away) next week. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a normal thing on a EV car before I did so!
I've done 5 miles in an EV so far from even a novice level of EV knowledge!

Upvote 0
The Air Conditioning makes a similar noise to what you describe and the compressor is on the passenger side.

Upvote 0
The Air Conditioning makes a similar noise to what you describe and the compressor is on the passenger side.
That’s interesting. I have had the AC on a lot. I’m assuming it’s still not supposed to make this noise even if it is the AC?

Upvote 0
Good shout Kithmo, and a possible ability, I vaguely remember around a year ago that one off our members had to have a replacement HVAC unit fitted and I think he also had similar symptoms with his car and your rshout reminded of it, but I’m blow if I can remember who it was.

I remember the dealer he took it two loaned him there demonstrator while they sorted the issue out and he commented at the time on how quiet it was compared to his own car.
RMGEV take note for when you got back with it, it could well be the very same
Les

Upvote 0
Interesting! I’m still waiting for a call back from my nearest dealer to get it booked it to be looked at but I’ll mention that when they do and update the forum after if they find the source of the noise.

Upvote 0
That’s interesting. I have had the AC on a lot. I’m assuming it’s still not supposed to make this noise even if it is the AC?
My ZS makes this type of noise normally when it's working hard and can be felt as a vibration through the steering wheel.
Next time it makes the noise turn the AC off and see if it stops, that will at least narrow it down to being the culprit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’ve got the car booked in on Monday but it wasn’t the easiest noise to explain over the phone to a very patient person in their service department! I was messing around this afternoon trying to replicate it. It could be complete fluke but I was flipping the AC on and off and it did only do it when the AC was on. I was also driving in Eco so I’m not sure if that’s a factor. I’ll keep fiddling with settings when I’m driving around tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Thanks for linking those people. I’m new to the forum so haven’t had a chance to have a detailed search of older posts! I’ve noticed the car also clunks when you first drive away (about the time the doors lock) and once the car is stationary and has been switched off. No idea if they’re all linked - I just seem to be listening out for any noise that might be considered odd now!

Upvote 0
It's previously been said here that as the car is so quiet in normal running you are aware of noises which in any other car would not be noticed. Luckily I'm a bit mutton so it doesn't affect me :)

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom