MG5 EV- One key and does not connect

Cbourne1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have just bought a MG5 EV Long Range Exclusive with 300 miles on clock. It was damaged so needed door replaced. Prior to attempting repair the car worked perfectly and drove.

After taking front door off and replacing it, the key no longer connects with car, even when key placed in centre cup holder.

The key will unlock and lock car but nothing else. This means I have the car with handbrake on and no way to move vehicle anywhere without dragging or a full lift to take to MG main dealer.

I cannot get the spare key from the insurance company.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can re-programme the original key? as MG suggest they cannot do it without me getting the car to them which is almost impossible with the electric parking brake on.

@Cbourne1

Welcome to the MG EV Community forums. You've bought an excellent vehicle, IMO!

Assuming you bought the car from a dealer and that the dealer carried out the door repair you should immediately tell him/her that the car is undriveable and that he/she needs to urgently arrange for it to be repaired, either at your home or in his premises.

OTOH, if this was a private sale (no dealer involved, and therefore, presumably, no automatic AA cover in place) I see little alternative for you other than asking a breakdown service to take the car to an MG dealer for the key to be reprogrammed.

Just as a matter of interest how did the damage to the door occur? Given the very low mileage I would guess this was originally a demonstrator car?

@Cbourne1

Welcome to the MG EV Community forums. You've bought an excellent vehicle, IMO!

Assuming you bought the car from a dealer and that the dealer carried out the door repair you should immediately tell him/her that the car is undriveable and that he/she needs to urgently arrange for it to be repaired, either at your home or in his premises.

OTOH, if this was a private sale (no dealer involved, and therefore, presumably, no automatic AA cover in place) I see little alternative for you other than asking a breakdown service to take the car to an MG dealer for the key to be reprogrammed.

Just as a matter of interest how did the damage to the door occur? Given the very low mileage I would guess this was originally a demonstrator car?
I purchased as a Cat C damage. So I am fixing it up. So there's no one to blame for the key becoming un programmed.

I now have to find a way to disengage the electric handbrake or re programme the key

For those that ask.
CAT S replaced Cat C, but makes clear the vehicle sustained structural damage. Usually advised to be professionally repaired.

CAT N replaced Cat D, non structural damage, usually cosmetic.

Both can be returned to the road following repair, but the label does follow and affects insurance costs and resale value. Can usually mean you get a lot of car for your money.

I have just bought a MG5 EV Long Range Exclusive with 300 miles on clock. It was damaged so needed door replaced. Prior to attempting repair the car worked perfectly and drove.

After taking front door off and replacing it, the key no longer connects with car, even when key placed in centre cup holder

Was it just the door? Sounds like maybe something hasn't been reconnected or some cabling has been damaged. When you put your foot on the brake and power it up do you get any warning messages? Have you tried the 12v disconnect, this makes the vehicle relearn it's sensors and may resolve your issue.

The vehicle alert states “smart key not recognised” this is when key is also placed in the centre cup holder. I have tried to disconnect the 12v battery and still no result at this time.
Im happy to listen to other ideas from people.

The vehicle alert states “smart key not recognised” this is when key is also placed in the centre cup holder. I have tried to disconnect the 12v battery and still no result at this time.
Im happy to listen to other ideas from people.
Where did you keep the key while it was being repaired as leaving it in the car can cause this to happen. (Reason why we were asked to take 2 sets of keys to dealers for any sustained visits.

The key was in the car which could be a reason. I’ll try to replace the battery in fob just in case. However it does unlock the car remotely from a great distance which would suggest the battery is ok. Regardless that is worth a try.

Where did you keep the key while it was being repaired as leaving it in the car can cause this to happen. (Reason why we were asked to take 2 sets of keys to dealers for any sustained visits.
That's interesting. Any idea how it's resolved? , I'm hoping 'having the 2nd key' isn't the answer.

That's interesting. Any idea how it's resolved? , I'm hoping 'having the 2nd key' isn't the answer.
I think it was just using the second key, however don't quote me on that. :)

If anyone can be bothered searching (finding the right search words may be tricky) this came up on the ZS EV forum way back, possibly early 2021 ish.

This may or may not help but I sourced a replacement key from a vehicle locksmith in Keighley (relatively local to me). He came to the van, programmed a new key from scratch and it was under half the cost of a main dealer (so under £100) - and completed on a single visit. Might be worth a punt

This may or may not help but I sourced a replacement key from a vehicle locksmith in Keighley (relatively local to me). He came to the van, programmed a new key from scratch and it was under half the cost of a main dealer (so under £100) - and completed on a single visit. Might be worth a punt
May I ask what vehicle did you have. Also would you recall the name of that locksmith as I massy call them to ask more.

May I ask what vehicle did you have. Also would you recall the name of that locksmith as I massy call them to ask more.
He was called Andy +44 7823 344489
I had a Fiat Ducato for which Fiat wanted me to take it in to the "local" dealer one day then back again when they'd sorted out a replacement key.

Just a final update.
The only option to rectify was to transport car to main MG dealer for them to reset the car and key.
Amazingly I managed to track down the original owner via Falkirk MG and a kind sales person in that department. The original dealer could not disclose any personal details but the sales person recalled selling the car to the first owner prior to its damage. Then even better the first original owner found the spare key and it got transported to me.
There were no data breaches and I guess I was lucky that they original owner was so kind and the service from MG was fantastic.
So when the other key arrived I walked to the car. Started the car with the old/other key. Then the other key started to work again! In the end no cost.
I was very lucky.
I would advise any owner with one key to be careful what items you have fixed on the car as the one key may drop of being registered with car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom