MG5 EV Poor Range

It's wise not to treat an EV like an ICE car when it comes to refuelling. You can never be absolutely sure that the next charger will be available or actually working. Run low in an ICE and you might have a choice of 10 filling stations within two or three miles. In an EV it might be only a couple of rapids in town or at a motorway services so it's much more of a gamble

On page 235 under maintenance: High Voltage Battery Pack...
Thanks, under the "Maintenance" section, I was looking in the "Charging requirements" section, which seemed a more logical place to find it.
I think SWMBO will only be charging the 5 up once a month anyway due to the low mileage she does and it'll get a full charge on the 7 kWh home charger.

Power up the car and look at the power flow screen. I recommend you turn off the AC etc as this uses lots of power.

You'll see how much power is flowing in. Before I reached 100%, I had a reading of about -11 Amps (I only have access to an on-street 5kW lamppost charger).

Once mine reached 100% and it started balancing, it fluctuated between 1 and 5-ish Amps.

When balancing had finished it went to zero or even a small positive number.
Sounds a bit more of a faff than looking at the smart meter monitor. ;)

What do you make, Petriix, of the advice in the manual to do the balance charge once a month? Must admit, it was never something I did with the Leaf I had before, but in the MG community it seems to be de rigeur. I've just done it a second time, but a full charge at the moment is lasting me the best part of the month, whereas with the Leaf I'd just charge a bit here and a bit there, as and when...
It was always something that happened on the Mitsubishi Outlander....always did cell balancing as part of the AC charge cycle, obviously didn't do it on the DC cycle. It's good practice for multi-cell packs.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom