MG5 EV Range is Very Exaggerated

Dean Smith

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I've done 1000 miles in my new MG5 EV and I love it, that said I'm comig from a clapped out 307. What I am annoyed at however, is the exaggeration over range. The range mileage and my SatNav have very different opinions. It is no exaggeration to say that the MG range in miles is much closer to KM. I'm not a particularly fast driver, keeping to within 10% of limits and not accelerating quickly. And even when in Eco mode with full KERS, it is shockingly bad. Tonight I had 142miles of range in ECO mide for a100 mile journey. Easy, right?! I got to where strange and distance remaining were both 18 miles, and had to get a charge. And from my 1000 miles experience that is about the size of it. Range is closer to KM than miles. Disappointing but a lovely car. I bought it for the 200 mile range but it's closer to 150. Shame and I feel cheated.

Interested in others experiences.

Interesting. I have now clocked up 1400 miles in my standard range 5 Excite, but have had a completely different experience (albeit pootling around on the Isle of Wight). My mileage range is approximately 236 miles driving on Eco Kers 3. A typical journey for me is just shy of 10 miles where I get about 4 mpkwh. When I do manage a longer trip (I had a 25 miler the other day) it goes up to about 4.5 mpkwh. Over the three-plus months I have had the car I am averaging 4.5 mpkwh (dropped from 4.6 due to recent colder weather?)

I have kept information on charging, just to see how it goes, as I am new to EVs. I recharge (7kw PodPoint home charger) when the car gets down into the 20's percent. I have charged to 100% a couple of times, and to 80% at others, and I have recorded the actual miles covered between charges. Extrapolating from this I am getting an estimated total range (100% to 0%) of 222 miles(lowest) to 246 (highest) with an average of 236. I accept that this may well be not representative of others' general driving, as nearly all of my driving is done below 50 mph (have you tried driving on the Isle of Wight?) However, when I can, I do move along a bit more. I passed a car doing about 50 mph the other day whilst driving along the Military Road (one of a very few open roads over here) and, before I knew it, I was up to 68! Effortless. I look forward to when I can test the car on a longer journey to visit family on the "North Island".

There's a fair "real world" assessment here:

Hi, I've done 1000 miles in my new MG5 EV and I love it, that said I'm comig from a clapped out 307. What I am annoyed at however, is the exaggeration over range. The range mileage and my SatNav have very different opinions. It is no exaggeration to say that the MG range in miles is much closer to KM. I'm not a particularly fast driver, keeping to within 10% of limits and not accelerating quickly. And even when in Eco mode with full KERS, it is shockingly bad. Tonight I had 142miles of range in ECO mide for a100 mile journey. Easy, right?! I got to where strange and distance remaining were both 18 miles, and had to get a charge. And from my 1000 miles experience that is about the size of it. Range is closer to KM than miles. Disappointing but a lovely car. I bought it for the 200 mile range but it's closer to 150. Shame and I feel cheated.

You don't say what sort of road you carried out the 100 mile trip on but if it was motorway and you're speed was within 10% (over as well as under) of the limit you're not going to get the advertised range.

As a phev driver I've learned to love 56 mph 😴

I have seen about 200 miles of range for motorway driving for the standard range MG5. The caveat is that you'll get that only if you stick to 70 mph or below. Even doing 75 had a noticeable reduction in the range.

I haven't tried it, but I would not be surprised if you could squeeze out 230 miles or more from a single charge if you stuck to a limit of 55!

Unless you are doing a fairly long run the difference in time a journey will take you at 65 or 75 mph isn't that great. And of course often you are just reaching the next traffic jam a little quicker.

The OP posted the same thing twice on the same day back in March, in the other thread it turns out he likes to drive at 70+ on the motorway which of course has a big effect on range.

The OP posted the same thing twice on the same day back in March, in the other thread it turns out he likes to drive at 70+ on the motorway which of course has a big effect on range.
Yep noted the same, also only comes on here to moan about the car and never replies to their own thread.
did the OP manage to work out how to open the boot lid using the remote?

I have seen about 200 miles of range for motorway driving for the standard range MG5. The caveat is that you'll get that only if you stick to 70 mph or below. Even doing 75 had a noticeable reduction in the range.

I haven't tried it, but I would not be surprised if you could squeeze out 230 miles or more from a single charge if you stuck to a limit of 55!
Yep, I've got 230miles at 60mph on motorway (on an original model), but as soon as you are over 70mph you will find the range starts to drop. Also internal heating off, ambient temp around 12degC in eco mode.
OP - I am surprised that you can't get more out of it , I have driven different EVs and the MG5 is the one with the most realistic range I have had actually.

There's no such thing as the 'advertised range' and no EV has a 'range' as such; that's just a complete misunderstanding. The OP may be referring to the WLTP range which is a controlled test that has little relevance to the real world.

It's simple physics to understand that driving at 70mph uses 40% more energy than at 50mph. 80mph uses another 20% more energy on top. You'll use even less energy if you're following another vehicle so it's perfectly possible to just about halve your range by driving fast in the open air compared to just flowing with the HGVs.

If you're disappointed by the laws of physics then maybe seek some therapy. You either have to adapt your driving or accept that you'll use more battery and have a lower total range.

I'm averaging well over 200 miles to a full charge and I'm extremely satisfied with my MG5.

I think a lot depends on braking too. You might accelerate gradually and not drive too fast overall, but if you are heavy on the brake pedal you will waste a lot of energy. What level of KERS to use also makes a difference.

KERS won't make a lot of difference on a steady motorway cruise. It is more effective around towns when you are doing a lot of stop/start, or on twisty roads where you are needing to slow a lot, thought the subsequent acceleration probably counters the benefits of KERS.

On my Leaf there are only 2 levels- I tend to only use the highest level on steep sharp downward slopes. I would imagine on the MG5 I would use level 1 for motorways/ fast roads, level 2 in general and level 3 in a similar way to the highest level on my Leaf-I'm going to look forward to experimenting.

Like your stats fishbee as I've just ordered a MG5 LR and hope with proper driving, my range will reach near the attributed 250 !

On my MG5 SR, now that the temperatures are finally getting like winter, I'm getting distance travelled+GOM range remaining of about 210-220 (Eco, KERS 3, heater on occasionally). The best I had during the summer was 248.

Like your stats fishbee as I've just ordered a MG5 LR and hope with proper driving, my range will reach near the attributed 250 !
Congrats on the 5LR order, you’ll like it.
We did a trip a couple of weeks ago to Glencoe for a couple of days inc an onward extra “jolly” to Mallaig. All in we covered around 320 to 330 miles. On arrival at Glencoe the GOM was reading around 150 - about the ZS starting figure.
D0C51218-3EBB-481B-869A-1979FA38AC79.jpeg
We topped up a couple of times just for peace of mind with this fifteen minuter at Ballachulish being set in glorious scenery on a very fine day.

Congrats on the 5LR order, you’ll like it.
We did a trip a couple of weeks ago to Glencoe for a couple of days inc an onward extra “jolly” to Mallaig. All in we covered around 320 to 330 miles. On arrival at Glencoe the GOM was reading around 150 - about the ZS starting figure. View attachment 5708We topped up a couple of times just for peace of mind with this fifteen minuter at Ballachulish being set in glorious scenery on a very fine day.
We did that same trip 51 years ago in our 1959 Morris Minor on our honeymoon. We were getting about 30 miles per gallon with around 6 of those gallons for a pound. It was a MUCH slower journey then of course and we never did make it all the way in to Mallaig as the wee steep hill then up out of Arisaig (?) stopped poor Morris in her tracks - first gear, full revs and completely stationary - should have changed that stupid clutch !! However, undaunted, we unhitched ( oh yeah - forgot to mention we had pinched my parents caravan ), turned around , and set up camp elsewhere, nearer Loch Morar I think it was.
we didn’t need the MG5 then - we were young, in love and there were no chargers around - but we could get a towbar !! 🤩

You must drive it like F1 driver. At over 50kwh at 3.5 miles per kW-h that is 175miles. Stop doing 70/75 mph. Cruse at 55 with the trucks n see the difference. Don’t let us run up back of cars and use it Friction brakes. Back off the cruise and let it slow under its own inertia. Use 1 regen on motorway. E means nothing only nulls the pedal from using over power. Accelerate at 20-30%. And coast 400-500m out front roundabouts. Try practice coasting be hold pedal at 0. If you regen and have to acc back up to speed again you wasting energy. Regen is actually inefficient as there is losses in the system while generating electricity. Try keep you energy rather than use it and regen less back.

We did that same trip 51 years ago in our 1959 Morris Minor on our honeymoon. We were getting about 30 miles per gallon with around 6 of those gallons for a pound. It was a MUCH slower journey then of course and we never did make it all the way in to Mallaig as the wee steep hill then up out of Arisaig (?) stopped poor Morris in her tracks - first gear, full revs and completely stationary - should have changed that stupid clutch !! However, undaunted, we unhitched ( oh yeah - forgot to mention we had pinched my parents caravan ), turned around , and set up camp elsewhere, nearer Loch Morar I think it was.
we didn’t need the MG5 then - we were young, in love and there were no chargers around - but we could get a towbar !! 🤩
Great story Arch, I remember my Dads Minors' first one was the grey which I "nicked" to take my mate and I on a jolly unfortunately I ditched it on a narrow road but a friendly farmer dragged it out on to the tarmac so no harm his 2nd was the minor traveller again in grey with real wood ! I can remember a gallon way back was 2 shillings and 9 old pennies !!! now I don't pay for fuel ...
What surprised me was you towed a caravan! with the minor did it not have about a 9hp engine ??
anyway my delivery is Mid March but the ZS will do till then, we must meet up for a coffee and show me your 5 (before the snow comes) !

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom