MG5 Excite door mirrors

barneyo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Newbie alert, please be gentle! Been driving the MG5 Excite since September and loving it. Fantastic car, great value to on the Affinity Scheme! Only gripe is the lack of heated door mirrors which have caught me out a couple of times especially with the recent icy weather. I do always look over my shoulder but still surprised this wasn't included as standard on the spec for the Excite trim as it's a safety enhancement for sure. Has anyone managed to get heated mirrors installed as an aftermarket addition? Is any wiring in place already for this? Thanks all!

I don't have the definitive answer but it's highly likely the wiring already exists.
On the Exclusive, they come on with the HRW so are not separately controlled from a user perspective. If this is achieved by simply wiring them in parallel with the HRW circuit there's a good chance an upgraded mirror assembly would work. If however they are switched separately via software, it may be necessary to do a software or configuration update (dealer job) and they probably won't want to do this.

I don't have the definitive answer but it's highly likely the wiring already exists.
On the Exclusive, they come on with the HRW so are not separately controlled from a user perspective. If this is achieved by simply wiring them in parallel with the HRW circuit there's a good chance an upgraded mirror assembly would work. If however they are switched separately via software, it may be necessary to do a software or configuration update (dealer job) and they probably won't want to do this.
Thanks Alb. I fear you assume correctly about likely willingness of dealers to undertake the necessary work; I appreciate the need for differentiation between the trims, just a shame it excluded a feature that I've had as standard on all my other basic trim cars for the last 10 years! Have to see if anyone else has been successful in installing a new/upgraded assembly, but for now it will have to be ice scraper at the ready 😩

You'd have to take the door card off to see if the wires are there on the loom. I would bet they will be because it's cheaper in production just having the one component on all cars.

Plenty of aftermarket 12v heated pads around too.

I ask the Mg owners club this question I got the answer below.
I am keen on heated mirror as I think they are a key safety feature. At some point I will dismantle the mirror to see is wiring is tied back. If necessary have the door card off to see what’s in there. I did this on a previous car and sure enough cables were there and I managed to fit heated mirrors which operated with the rear window heater.

By the way my excite dies have push button starter.

reply from mg owner club.
Hi Simon,

I talked to the dealer on our team. They have only ever sold the Exclusive model -which has massively outsold the Excite. He commented:

“We’ve never had an Excite in stock to check the looms etc. But I suspect that if China could save £4.50 from the cost by using less wire, they probably would do. So I’d be surprised if the loom was the same as the Exclusive. The Excite version of the MG5 doesn’t even have keyless start/stop – you’ve got to put the actual key in the steering column?!?”

I know that is not a conclusive answer - might be worth asking your dealer the same thing. I will ask another dealer as well.

Kind regards,
Melissa

Melissa Briggs & James Coates,
MGEV Owners Club

It's not really an answer that displays much knowledge of production engineering.
Excluding the extra cable may save £4.50 but setting up and maintaining a separate production baseline can easily cost much much more. This is why it's very routine to see a common build infrastructure where only the optional end component is excluded on a lower specification car.
This concept can be taken to its ultimate in a vehicle where complete functionality is physically built in to every car but certain elements only becomes accessible to the owner via software update.

It's not really an answer that displays much knowledge of production engineering.
Excluding the extra cable may save £4.50 but setting up and maintaining a separate production baseline can easily cost much much more. This is why it's very routine to see a common build infrastructure where only the optional end component is excluded on a lower specification car.
This concept can be taken to its ultimate in a vehicle where complete functionality is physically built in to every car but certain elements only becomes accessible to the owner via software update.
look at MG. They have so many version of the HS its hard to keep track
the china version looks like this:
1642849054086.png

Then there's the HS PHEV in Thailand with iSmart, a different infotainment, supersport button, Bose speakers and blue and white leather:
1642849158606.png

There's then the HS PHEV in the UK that loses all those goodies, but looks the same externally as the thailand model

All these different cars, all with different goodies, and all with separate production lines.

Is this some production cost thing? does it save them money? I'd love to know.

The Excite version of the MG5 doesn’t even have keyless start/stop – you’ve got to put the actual key in the steering column?!?
In the UK? Not true. The Excite requires use of the keyfob for remote lock/unlock. That is the only difference in term of the keys.

Really needs somebody who knows the car to answer the question.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom