MG5 Excite vs Exclusive

Andytizer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So I am looking into buying an MG5 and going to be going for this 'Affinity' public sector discount - prices listed here. Basically the MG5 Excite is £19,863.63 and then Exclusive is £21,641.18.

Currently leaning heavily onto the Excite for the price. Am I right in thinking the biggest difference for me is the fact that the Exclusive has 'faux' leather seats, whereas the Excite has fabric seats? Does that make it worthwhile for the £1777.55 price difference? What version did people buy here?

Some background: I have two kids, aged 9 and 3. We live in zone 2 north London, use the car for freelance working (visiting clients, transporting computer equipment, etc) and holidays, shopping, visiting family etc. I have no need for Satnav as I will use my iPhone/Apple Car Play.

I have attached the comparison from the MG5 brochure as well.

Attachments

• chrome_9XS8jhNAUF.png
    chrome_9XS8jhNAUF.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 850
  • chrome_3hTHgJk2RB.png
    chrome_3hTHgJk2RB.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 870
  • chrome_S0Y913ZjAZ.png
    chrome_S0Y913ZjAZ.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 897
So I am looking into buying an MG5 and going to be going for this 'Affinity' public sector discount - prices listed here. Basically the MG5 Excite is £19,863.63 and then Exclusive is £21,641.18.

Currently leaning heavily onto the Excite for the price. Am I right in thinking the biggest difference for me is the fact that the Exclusive has 'faux' leather seats, whereas the Excite has fabric seats? Does that make it worthwhile for the £1777.55 price difference? What version did people buy here?

Some background: I have two kids, aged 9 and 3. We live in zone 2 north London, use the car for freelance working (visiting clients, transporting computer equipment, etc) and holidays, shopping, visiting family etc. I have no need for Satnav as I will use my iPhone/Apple Car Play.

I have attached the comparison from the MG5 brochure as well.
Hi well you can read your own specifications sheets so it’s all there and yeh I would say the seats being faux leathers is one big difference you say you have 2 young children if anything like my grand kids spilling crisps and pop plus sticky fingers they might be better for you, keyless locking can be handy sometimes like when carrying something
auto aircon many people says is much better the only other thing I can mention is the silver roof rails which I will point out are now stated as
DECORATIVE ONLY and must not be loaded at all, this I will had is under review by MG and the DVSA after I lodged a complaint about them 4/5 months ago so if you have seen pictures of bikes on the roof this is wrong, plus as your new here might I suggest you have a good read on this forum loads of information on here both good and bad remember also the car does not come with a spare wheel or a type 2 cable might be able to get them as part of your deal worth a try anyhow so good luck
Les

Last edited:
Yeah I ordered an Excite through the Affinity scheme- amazing value!! The extra kit on the Exclusive is probably worth it but my brief was a reasonably sized ev that can get me from Derry to Belfast and back (150 miles) any time of the year. Almost went for the new black wheels option though!! (buy 3 get 1 free)😊

Faux leather seats, auto climate control , Keyless entry, heated front seats, Auto lights (not auto dip) and wipers, auto dimming mirror, rear USB ports, electric driver's seat adjuster, electric folding mirrors, decorative roof rails (may be certified for 35kG later). Worth £2k?

Hi well you can read your own specifications sheets so it’s all there and yeh I would say the seats being faux leathers is one big difference you say you have 2 young children if anything like my grand kids spilling crisps and pop plus sticky fingers they might be better for you, keyless locking can be handy sometimes like when carrying something
auto aircon many people says is much better the only other thing I can mention is the silver roof rails which I will point out are now stated as
DECORATIVE ONLY and must not be loaded at all, this I will had is under review by MG and the DVSA after I lodged a complaint about them 4/5 months ago so if you have seen pictures of bikes on the roof this is wrong, plus as your new here might I suggest you have a good read on this forum loads of information on here both good and bad remember also the car does not come with a spare wheel or a type 2 cable might be able to get them as part of your deal worth a try anyhow so good luck
Les
Thanks I read about the roof rails on this forum, shocking how bad it is! I never planned to use roof rails due to the effect it would have on range, plus it's an estate car with plenty of boot space.

The Affinity scheme comes with its own Type 2 charger for free. I am in the market for a spare wheel - not sure if I can shell for £249 from the dealer or try to negotiate this into the price.

Sticky fingers is really the issue between the fabric vs faux leather seats. Can't decide as I can't find any photos of the Excite MG5 interior at all and they didn't have any on show at the dealer.

Yeah I ordered an Excite through the Affinity scheme- amazing value!! The extra kit on the Exclusive is probably worth it but my brief was a reasonably sized ev that can get me from Derry to Belfast and back (150 miles) any time of the year. Almost went for the new black wheels option though!! (buy 3 get 1 free)😊
Yes it's such good value!

Faux leather seats, auto climate control , Keyless entry, heated front seats, Auto lights (not auto dip) and wipers, auto dimming mirror, rear USB ports, electric driver's seat adjuster, electric folding mirrors, decorative roof rails (may be certified for 35kG later). Worth £2k?
I'm not sure it's worth the extra £2k in this situation..

I went for the exclusive.

I liked the keyless entry. Helpful when your hands are full or kids can press the button for you.

The rear usbs will also come in handy with kids.

I also liked the heated front seats.

Otherwise I'm not too bothered about the other extras

I'm a journalist, so should really have gone for the Exclusive!

However, simply couldn't justify the extra money for features I would hardly ever use. The Excite seats are fine,though our days of little sticky fingers are long gone.

Didn't need the roofbars, decorative or otherwise, as there's so much load space in the back and hoping that when our youngest is able to go back to a job in London next month the 5 will swallow up all his worldly goods and I won't have to shell out £150 on hiring a van, fuel and extra insurance.

They're great cars, looking forward to stretching our 5's legs soon.

I personally love Heated seats, the keyless entry and folding and heated mirrors and auto dimming rear view mirrors and leather seats for me personally are all worth it. Also sat nav is handy if you don't have your phone or signal and to be fair I think the satnav is rather good.

So ye for me I thought I'm getting a cracking deal so might as well get an exclusive. I didn't get a free type 2 charger though under the affinity deal, only the granny charger! :-(

I didn't get a free type 2 charger though under the affinity deal, only the granny charger! :-(
I'm being thick here, but what do you need the Type 2 charge cable for, is this just for home use if you buy an untethered wall charger?

I'm being thick here, but what do you need the Type 2 charge cable for, is this just for home use if you buy an untethered wall charger?
Well on some fast chargers it won't include a cable so you have to use your own. For example if i go to tesco and use pod point free charging, I need a type 2 cable.

Well on some fast chargers it won't include a cable so you have to use your own. For example if i go to tesco and use pod point free charging, I need a type 2 cable.
Thanks for confirming that, I (wrongly) assumed all chargers had one!

Just need to decide if I'm buying a 5 now, or waiting for the facelift....!

Thanks for confirming that, I (wrongly) assumed all chargers had one!

Just need to decide if I'm buying a 5 now, or waiting for the facelift....!
No they definately don't all have one so best to keep it always in your car along with the granny cable just incase.

I've had my MG5 Red Exclusive for a couple of weeks now and completely love it, it's a very good car.

The new version in the UK probably won't be out for quite some time unless you know differently. I would say early next year. I assume the deals on the MG5 now also won't be on the newer ones as cheaply?

I guess its like any car, you can wait for the new model, but when the new model is out a year or so later a newer model will be out, so you'd always be waiting for the newer model, same with mobile phones.

I prefer the front of the old grill to the new one, and apart from an extra 20-30 mile range increase and the roof rails being approved although the current one may get approved, i can't see much difference in the new and old really.

No they definately don't all have one so best to keep it always in your car along with the granny cable just incase.

I've had my MG5 Red Exclusive for a couple of weeks now and completely love it, it's a very good car.

The new version in the UK probably won't be out for quite some time unless you know differently. I would say early next year. I assume the deals on the MG5 now also won't be on the newer ones as cheaply?

I guess its like any car, you can wait for the new model, but when the new model is out a year or so later a newer model will be out, so you'd always be waiting for the newer model, same with mobile phones.

I prefer the front of the old grill to the new one, and apart from an extra 20-30 mile range increase and the roof rails being approved although the current one may get approved, i can't see much difference in the new and old really.
It's a hard decision. Like you say, I could be forever waiting for the next one. Frankly anything would be better than my 11 year old diesel S-Max!

Depends on how much MG UK are in line with MG Europe. But as you say, I doubt the massive savings we're seeing on the current car will be repeated on the new one.

It's a hard decision. Like you say, I could be forever waiting for the next one. Frankly anything would be better than my 11 year old diesel S-Max!

Depends on how much MG UK are in line with MG Europe. But as you say, I doubt the massive savings we're seeing on the current car will be repeated on the new one.
My plan is to keep this for a few years then either sell it privately or trade it in for whatever is out then. Remember the pictures above and online aren't real, they are computer generated so looks all nice and shiny. The video from China I saw doesn't look as impressive, as in it looks pretty much the same as the current one.

For me the Marvel R is very nice and worth waiting for if you want a large SUV, however it certainly won't be close to 20k and won't be an estate. So my decision was made when i paid 21k for a good ranged Estate. Its fast, its practical, its pretty nice to look at especially in the red for me. I love it, especially when I leave the BMW and Mercedes at the traffic lights.

My plan is to keep this for a few years then either sell it privately or trade it in for whatever is out then. Remember the pictures above and online aren't real, they are computer generated so looks all nice and shiny. The video from China I saw doesn't look as impressive, as in it looks pretty much the same as the current one.

For me the Marvel R is very nice and worth waiting for if you want a large SUV, however it certainly won't be close to 20k and won't be an estate. So my decision was made when i paid 21k for a good ranged Estate. Its fast, its practical, its pretty nice to look at especially in the red for me. I love it, especially when I leave the BMW and Mercedes at the traffic lights.
I think you've made my mind up. If I was to wait and get the face-lifted 5, once I had it I'd be wishing I was sitting in the Marvel R :)

If money was no object I'd wait for the Marvel, but would need a lottery win....

I think you've made my mind up. If I was to wait and get the face-lifted 5, once I had it I'd be wishing I was sitting in the Marvel R :)

If money was no object I'd wait for the Marvel, but would need a lottery win....
Exactly, you won't be disappointed, you can enjoy it now and also get a good price. :)

Climate control is the main thing for me, as I didn't want to live in the 80's again having to guess temp settings and fan speed. So was always going to be the exclusive.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom