MG5 finally arrived today

RossN

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my new MG 5 today. Despite all the Covid precautions it all went well and looking forward to many happy years together. Wife doesnt look happy but actually is.
new car 2.jpeg

Congratulations! Great colour....same as ours. Are you in Scotland? Whereabouts? Looking forward to eventually driving up to Edinburgh from Derbyshire to see our son and his family with our new, longer range motor

Near Edinburgh. Any tips as to the day to day running ? I dont have a home charger yet...fitting in 9 days.

Main advice would be to download zapmap if you haven't already. It's brilliant for finding charge points either near where you live or on a journey.

I'd suggest a try out while you still have plenty in the battery. Find a charger near you and have a practice. You might already know that the major network in Scotland is Chargeplace Scotland, which has a card, known as an RFID, which gives you access to the units. Some in Scotland have always been free so far, but I think East Lothian has introduced a fee now.

On longer journeys always plan ahead, keeping a further charger in reserve in case the first one you go to is not working. The planning is all part of the fun!

Which side of Edinburgh are you? Our son is in the centre near Haymarket Station.

Had our car four weeks ago and it seems very solid and well built. Enjoy yours!

I have Zapmap on my phone but no idea how to get charging points onto the car satnav...i think it can be done. I have the Chargeplace app and card and will try it out tomorrow.

Congrats on the car. if you have waze just activate voice and say "navigate to nearest chargepoint" waze will then find the nearest charge point.

Is Waze an app ? And does it know what rate the nearest is (fast/rapid) and whether it is being used or free ?

2nd attempt at charging didnt go well. Went to my nearest charger at our train station. Free as most are here and assumed it was ok since I saw a guy charging yesterday. The car was about 17% battery, plugged the car in and looked at the dashboard to see the time till fully charged was in 17 hrs !!! Thought it was just a glitch so left it charging. Came back 7 hrs later to a 41% charged car. So it is supposed to be a 7KW type 2 charger but slower than a granny. Oh well...so much for my nearest charger.

2nd attempt at charging didnt go well. Went to my nearest charger at our train station. Free as most are here and assumed it was ok since I saw a guy charging yesterday. The car was about 17% battery, plugged the car in and looked at the dashboard to see the time till fully charged was in 17 hrs !!! Thought it was just a glitch so left it charging. Came back 7 hrs later to a 41% charged car. So it is supposed to be a 7KW type 2 charger but slower than a granny. Oh well...so much for my nearest charger.
In Zap-Map a previous user complained of that station charge point of being a bit slow. I always find it useful to check the chat for a particular charger before I rely on using it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom