MG5 - future enhancements

Tom McConnell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have had my MG5 for 3 weeks and have identified 2 enhancements that would be useful:

1) Frunk/Froot under the bonnet. If the plastic ‘engine’ cover is removed there is plenty of room for the charging cable to be stored above the motor components. The plastic frame that supports the central part of the cover and the cover itself would both have to be redesigned to have a recess to hold the cable. This could be sold as a two component kit for existing cars.

2) Raised boot floor to make boot flat with rear seat backs when they are folded down. Will also make load lip hight smaller. Additional storage would be available under raised boot floor. This could be designed for existing customers to purchase as a kit.

In my view no changes to the metal parts of the car would have to be made to implement these two changes. Local UK manufacturers could make these as after market kits.

Other useful enhancements that would be from the factory:
1) Lane departure warning
2j Forward crash detector warning
3) Powered tailgate

What other enhancements would be useful ?

Re the boot floor, I've just been reading an interesting post on the main MG EVs facebook page from someone who has discovered it's possible to remove the rear seat base and then the seat backs will gold flatter that before. Not perfectly flat, but an improvement

I have had my MG5 for 3 weeks and have identified 2 enhancements that would be useful:

1) Frunk/Froot under the bonnet. If the plastic ‘engine’ cover is removed there is plenty of room for the charging cable to be stored above the motor components. The plastic frame that supports the central part of the cover and the cover itself would both have to be redesigned to have a recess to hold the cable. This could be sold as a two component kit for existing cars.

2) Raised boot floor to make boot flat with rear seat backs when they are folded down. Will also make load lip hight smaller. Additional storage would be available under raised boot floor. This could be designed for existing customers to purchase as a kit.

In my view no changes to the metal parts of the car would have to be made to implement these two changes. Local UK manufacturers could make these as after market kits.

Other useful enhancements that would be from the factory:
1) Lane departure warning
2j Forward crash detector warning
3) Powered tailgate

What other enhancements would be useful ?
I agree with all of the above and had the last three items on the car I px'd - a Ford Mondeo.

Unfortunately, the first two require front sensors/camera which the MG5 definitely doesn't have and the last I guess is a bit of wire and a motor which when costed up, nobody would pay for.

The front frunk is definitely an opportunity as there's a heap of space; which if you replace the front lights with LED's you'll discover.

I’m in the process of making the boot floor higher. With a bit of luck it should be done by the end of the day. There is a lot of space under the worlds flimsiest floor once the gunge and blower holder is removed.

All good ideas so far. My Leaf 30 had these features I miss on the 5, though not overly:

App allowing pre-heating of the interior without having to go outside on frosty mornings;

The same app and particularly a secondary one, Leaf Spy, gave a wealth of information on charging history, battery state of health (SoH), how many rapid or lower level charges, and lots of other stuff that, frankly, baffled me;

It also allowed me to check the charge level while, say, sitting in motorway services for a coffee.

Boot floor done for now. I can now officially pretend that the boot is tidy, whilst still carrying all my running stuff in case the opportunity presents itself.
649E04D4-6928-4ECE-AA2C-9F8070042CF6_1_201_a.jpeg

I cannibalised the side panel of an old bit of broken furniture. Made slats for front, back and sides. Will be adding a couple of modesty blocks when the rain stops so that the sides don't get knocked over. Just needs a piece of plywood to replace the flimsy floor - struggling to locate anything locally, so will have to wait until lockdown lifts. Nothing is fastened down so it can just be taken in and out as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Looks better for my dog to jump up to. We have put her in the back seat with covers on for now instead of having her in the boot because of the lip...well done

Looks better for my dog to jump up to. We have put her in the back seat with covers on for now instead of having her in the boot because of the lip...well done
If it helps, the front and back are 1040mm the sides are 730mm and all 150mm tall. Total cost so far £12 for the carpet and glue.

I cannibalised the side panel of an old bit of broken furniture. Made slats for front, back and sides. Will be adding a couple of modesty blocks when the rain stops so that the sides don't get knocked over. Just needs a piece of plywood to replace the flimsy floor - struggling to locate anything locally, so will have to wait until lockdown lifts. Nothing is fastened down so it can just be taken in and out as needed.
That really is a cracking job, excellent!

Re the boot floor, I've just been reading an interesting post on the main MG EVs facebook page from someone who has discovered it's possible to remove the rear seat base and then the seat backs will gold flatter that before. Not perfectly flat, but an improvement

That was probably me. I'll try and get some photos at some point.

As I said over there on the FB group, you can just pull the seat base up and out. It's basically a push fit - no sacrificial rivets or anything, at least as far as I noticed.

With the seat base removed, the seat backs will fold down almost completely flat - although there is still a 'step' up from the lower boot floor. You could follow the lead of thefunkystoat upthread and fabricate a riser to lift the boot floor up, which would have the extra advantage of allowing a full-size spare wheel (the wheel well is only 5"/12.5cm deep, just enough for a space-saver spare).

I've then been carrying the seat base in what would have been the rear footwell, behind the front seats. There's just about room, if you remove the rear headrests (and if you're not too tall - it might prevent you from putting the front seats all the way back). Just seems a bit more sensible in case I should ever need the back seats at short notice - it wouldn't take much time to convert it back to seats, but that's obviously not an option if they're at home in the garage.

It's not a perfect solution - the foam seems a bit exposed, and there's a steel loop thing that sticks up from the middle of the seat base. In my car I have a heavy canvas boot liner that hangs from the front headrests, so that gives a bit of protection.

That was probably me. I'll try and get some photos at some point.

As I said over there on the FB group, you can just pull the seat base up and out. It's basically a push fit - no sacrificial rivets or anything, at least as far as I noticed.
Can you post a link to that bit of Faecebook please?

Thanks

Powered tailgate is top priority for me. It is hit and miss trying to puch the hidden and flat tailgate button and then lifting the tailgate

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom