Mg5 HV shutdown

Jeff

Standard Member
Reaction score
After charging to 94%at an intravolt station the car's high voltage battery went into shut down,it sorted itself out after 10mins,has this happen to anyone else

I'm not sure, but I think it's something to do with battery temperature, once the battery cools down a bit it should come back.

After charging to 94%at an intravolt station the car's high voltage battery went into shut down,it sorted itself out after 10mins,has this happen to anyone else
Yes. This happened to me yesterday on A BP 50kw, the pulse ones. Got to 95% as an experiment so see what happens and the HV disconnected. I’m guessing the thermal cut out cut in. I had assumed that the car would request less amps as it approaches cut off, but no.
Minor heart attack but 5 min wait and it came back on.
From now on I will stop @85-90%

This is often to do with the way the charger and car handshake over the CCS protocol. I have had both Polar and Osprey fail in this way. 'Translation Error' was the Polar failure when dropping from 45kW to 16kW at 80%.
I keep a 10mm spanner in the car in case I have to reboot the 12V system by battery disconnection (at earth), 10 mins off seems to sort if standard reboot does not work.

I wouldn't disconnect the 12v unless you're sure the cooling system fan is not running.

I wouldn't disconnect the 12v unless you're sure the cooling system fan is not running.
Shouldn't be a problem as you are not putting any more heat into the battery pack as the main battery contactor will be opened if no 12v is available.

I'm not sure, but I think it's something to do with battery temperature, once the battery cools down a bit it should come back.
Not usually temperature, that is controlled by the thermal management system, but probably handshaking issues when the car reduces it's requested charge rate.

Shouldn't be a problem as you are not putting any more heat into the battery pack as the main battery contactor will be opened if no 12v is available.
I agree you're not putting any more in, but if the cooling system is running then it's doing its job and it will cool down quicker if you don't turn it off. If the fan isn't running then it will be below the threshold for needing cooling and it's fine to disconnect the 12v, or just wait for it to cool down a bit.

Not usually temperature, that is controlled by the thermal management system, but probably handshaking issues when the car reduces it's requested charge rate.
But that's what I meant, the thermal management system is doing it's job by not letting you start the car, so basically doing what it should.
Saying it's handshaking issues is suggesting that the car is faulty when it may not be, as it recovers if left to stand a while.
Are you saying that the car won't let you charge up to 100% on a rapid ?

But that's what I meant, the thermal management system is doing it's job by not letting you start the car, so basically doing what it should.
Saying it's handshaking issues is suggesting that the car is faulty when it may not be, as it recovers if left to stand a while.
Are you saying that the car won't let you charge up to 100% on a rapid ?
handshaking issues with CCS are a known problem with many cars, experienced by BMW, iPace, and MG's. The protocol is open to interpretation and most issues are solved by car and pump software updates. The Polar issues are rare but have been changed over time by differing chargers and software implementation. Thermal management is unlikely to be the cause of any shut down issues as the cooling system actually works (unlike my Nissan Leaf). Thermal warnings and shutdowns have an entirely different and longer term issue, after 3 charges and fast driving an uncooled pack will slow Rapid charging. All Rapid charging is current limited as the charge level rises in steps, it is usually these steps that trip up the charging process.

I have had both Polar and Osprey fail in this way. 'Translation Error' was the Polar failure when dropping from 45kW to 16kW at 80%.
I have witnessed this situation on a relatively new Polar charger close to my home address.
99% of my charging is conducted at home, but on this occasion, I only had a small amount of range remaining and our plans suddenly changed.
So I paid a visit to a Polar unit that is only 3 miles away from home.
I have the Polar Plus subscription so the rates where reasonable to get some mileage into the battery real quick.
The charge started with no problem at all and I intended to stop the charge at around 80%.
But as soon as the percentage on the rapid hit 80% - it ended the charge itself.
It gave out the “Translation Error” message and quit the charge before I could end it myself.
I am convinced it was not a thermal problem because we had only driven a very short distance to the rapid and we did still have about 25 miles of range remaining when we arrived.
We sat with the car for the entire time it was on charge and I never heard the cooling process start at any time.
I think we where there about 35 minutes ish and will picked up around 100 miles of extra needed charge, due to the change in plans.
The interruption caused no problem with regards to the car driving away.
As soon as I unplugged the car, we set off with no problems at all !.
This Polar issue has been witnessed a few times by ZS EV owners.
At the point where the charge would normal start to throttle back ( say 80% ) there appears to be a coms problem at either the charger or car end of things.
Resulting in the charge completely terminating.
Our owners have said I’d they unplug and plug in the car again, then recommence it will start charging once more.
I can not confirm this of course.
My car is now about 15 months old and has covered roughly 11,500 miles, but has only performed 3 rapid charging sessions.
So I am not regular visitor to a rapid unit as you can see !.
The Polar sub is a luxury I had budgeted for when I bought the car, do I get value for money from it - NO !.
But for the price of a coffee once a week, I like to have it in my wallet !.

Last edited:
From what I am seeing I'd say there were two separate issues. One relating to the car not starting up after fast charging. It seems likely to me that this could be a thermal management issue - otherwise why would the problem correct itself after 15mins (or whatever). And a second problem where the charging cycle is interrupted but the car can be used regardless, which seems more likely to be an interfacing problem or similar.

Yes has happend twice. Not associated with charging. In one case I had to put car in neutral and push it out of the way of other road users. Great advert for MG new car new model having to be pushed! HV came back after 10 mins switched off had only driven 3 miles on a cool day so not batt temp related I believe more live software? Took it to dealer after second time. Nothing found wrong. I found that strange and asked did the diagnostic log have a record? No they said?

Yes has happend twice. Not associated with charging. In one case I had to put car in neutral and push it out of the way of other road users. Great advert for MG new car new model having to be pushed! HV came back after 10 mins switched off had only driven 3 miles on a cool day so not batt temp related I believe more live software? Took it to dealer after second time. Nothing found wrong. I found that strange and asked did the diagnostic log have a record? No they said?
Hmmm. This is the worst kind of failure IMHO. Intermittent fault that could happen any time. Could happen with a conventional ICE car as well I suppose, but that's not much comfort if you're in a live motorway lane at the time. If it happens during charging it's probably not quite as potentially disastrous.

I have witnessed this situation on a relatively new Polar charger close to my home address.
99% of my charging is conducted at home, but on this occasion, I only had a small amount of range remaining and our plans suddenly changed.
So I paid a visit to a Polar unit that is only 3 miles away from home.
I have the Polar Plus subscription so the rates where reasonable to get some mileage into the battery real quick.
The charge started with no problem at all and I intended to stop the charge at around 80%.
But as soon as the percentage on the rapid hit 80% - it ended the charge itself.
It gave out the “Translation Error” message and quit the charge before I could end it myself.
I am convinced it was not a thermal problem because we had only driven a very short distance to the rapid and we did still have about 25 miles of range remaining when we arrived.
We sat with the car for the entire time it was on charge and I never heard the cooling process start at any time.
I think we where there about 35 minutes ish and will picked up around 100 miles of extra needed charge, due to the change in plans.
The interruption caused no problem with regards to the car driving away.
As soon as I unplugged the car, we set off with no problems at all !.
This Polar issue has been witnessed a few times by ZS EV owners.
At the point where the charge would normal start to throttle back ( say 80% ) there appears to be a coms problem at either the charger or car end of things.
Resulting in the charge completely terminating.
Our owners have said I’d they unplug and plug in the car again, then recommence it will start charging once more.
I can not confirm this of course.
My car is now about 15 months old and has covered roughly 11,500 miles, but has only performed 3 rapid charging sessions.
So I am not regular visitor to a rapid unit as you can see !.
The Polar sub is a luxury I had budgeted for when I bought the car, do I get value for money from it - NO !.
But for the price of a coffee once a week, I like to have it in my wallet !.
They appear to be rolling out new software/firmware that fixes this but it appears ad hoc not a full campaign roll out.

They appear to be rolling out new software/firmware that fixes this but it appears ad hoc not a full campaign roll out.
I guess “They” are Polar with regards to the software update to the units and not MG changing the software.
OMG - I hope not !.
We all know how painful THAT can be 🤣.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom