MG5 in Thailand

Brucey7

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I thought you might be interested to know about this car in Thailand.

I am a retired UK citizen who retired to Thailand at age 50 some 15 years ago. Generally, cars are more expensive here, substantially so though the cost of living is massively cheaper. Thailand taxes new cars in 3 bands, average, luxury and BEV cars, this is a simplification, it's actually fairly complicated. BEV cars from SAIC & GWM are a little unusual, because there is no import tax if they are assembled in China. 7 months ago the government announced a limited sponsorship of these cars where the government would contribute something and the manufacturer would discount something, the exact percentage of each is unknown.

The result is we can buy the MG EP+ (MG5 SR) for 18,500 pounds with 5 years warranty (8 on the battery), one year's insurance (any driver, any age), 5 years servicing at a guaranteed cost of under 200 pounds. The cost before the discount scheme was 24,000 pounds.

MG took orders for 4,000 cars in the first couple of weeks, I ordered a Metal Ash Grey metallic one for my eldest adopted daughter and it came last week. It took 7 months from placing the order to delivery though they promised 2-3 months. They also took orders for 2,000 ZS EV's which cost 30% more. I think 6,000 vehicles was the limit placed by the government for the scheme with MG. Two weeks after announcing the scheme both MG and GWM stopped taking orders for BEV's. Actually we tested the ORA Good Cat too and found the suspension uncomfortable.

My own car is a Posche Taycan Turbo which in base configuration is 240,000 pounds here, it's also the base price of a 911, so you get some idea of what a bargain the MG5 is.

The spec of cars in Thailand is usually higher than the UK, we only currently get the pre-facelift MG5 and only in SR configuration, but it comes with 16" alloys, roof rails, leather look seats, cruise control, android auto/car play etc, it also comes with a wallbox charger which they install for free and a travel charger, only 2 other colours are available white & black. The motor is claimed to be 163 PS, the battery pack is 50.3 KWHr and the range is claimed to be 237 miles.

Electricity here is 10p/KWHr, petrol is 100p / litre, diesel pretty much the same. MG have fast DC chargers every 95 miles throughout the country.

I am a big fan of BEV cars and love my Taycan. I am very impressed with my daughters MG EP+ so much so that I have managed to order another one (a canceled order from the initial allocation) for delivery next year. I expected a few rattles and was impressed to find there are none. I did replace the headlight bulbs with HID Xenon bulbs on my daughter's car and installed a dashcam, costing 43 and 51 pounds respectively. The dash cam came with an adaptor permanently wired in the glove box. My fitter for the headlight conversion stopped selling LED bulbs because they have fans and he found they fail when they get dirty, Thailand's roads can be fairly poor and in 15 years here I have never seen a road sweeper (and no police cars on the highways).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom