MG5 infotainment dead.

Lespresso

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
After working normally today the infotainment unit went completely blank with no life whatsoever, no radio, time, sat nav or any other function,
I have tried reset holding the centre button down for 10 seconds as per the manual instructions but absolutely nothing, additionally the is no audible “tick tick” sounds for the indicator although they are working and display on the steering wheel display.
Its now booked in for investigation on Thursday with MG, has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for that, I’m hopeful that it will rectify itself before it goes in.
shame really it’s the first issue I’ve had, absolutely love the car.

Thanks for that, I’m hopeful that it will rectify itself before it goes in.
shame really it’s the first issue I’ve had, absolutely love the car.
Hi so glad you have managed to get it into your dealer tomorrow Thursday but can I ask have you tried the 10 mm spanner trick of disconnecting the 12 volt battery for ten minutes or so.
Les

Hi so glad you have managed to get it into your dealer tomorrow Thursday but can I ask have you tried the 10 mm spanner trick of disconnecting the 12 volt battery for ten minutes or so.
Les
Oh that would have been good Les, it’s actually booked in for Thursday week, its worth a try, I’ll give it a go in the morning, thanks for the suggestion.

After working normally today the infotainment unit went completely blank with no life whatsoever, no radio, time, sat nav or any other function,
I have tried reset holding the centre button down for 10 seconds as per the manual instructions but absolutely nothing, additionally the is no audible “tick tick” sounds for the indicator although they are working and display on the steering wheel display.
Its now booked in for investigation on Thursday with MG, has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, I had this earlier in the year. No ability to adjust heating etc too since the screen was blank. It worked as the rear view camera but no distance indicators would show. Mine would constantly try to reboot every 30" or so but never succeeded. Removing the infotainment fuse and disconnecting the battery didn't help. It was due for the 1 year service so this was mentioned. Some kind of factory reset was done on the unit and it's been working normally since. Sorry I don't have any specifics about what was done but they got it working again so I hope the same will be true for you!

Oh that would have been good Les, it’s actually booked in for Thursday week, its worth a try, I’ll give it a go in the morning, thanks for the suggestion.
Hi Les, thanks for your reply yesterday, I tried your suggestion and success! It worked, initially the steering wheel display went a bit loopy saying all the safety programs had failed,
Hi Les, thanks for your reply yesterday, I tried your suggestion and success it worked! Initially the “steering wheel“ Display wait a little bit loopy! saying all the safety systems had failed! you can imagine that was a worry, however, after turning the engine on and off a couple of times it seems to catch up with itself and all seems well at the moment, I’ll leave the booking with MG at the moment just in case though, thanks again.
Les.

Thanks for that, hopefully you are right, it’s a little inconvenient, I’m going to leave it to the MG guys to sort it out, after all the the 7year warranty is one of the reasons I chose a it,
I'd check the warranty on the infotainment system if I were you. I was under the impression it was only 2 years...

I'd check the warranty on the infotainment system if I were you. I was under the impression it was only 2 years...
An MG5 would be less than 2 years old anyway, they came out Q3 or Q4 2020 IIRC.

An MG5 would be less than 2 years old anyway, they came out Q3 or Q4 2020 IIRC.
Fortunately the issue seems to have been resolved now thanks to Les Burrows ( see post)

Had a similar problem today. Switched car to ready, nothing on the infotainment screen. Drove a minute or so and restarted car at some lights,still nothing. Driving down the road a minute later MG logo appeared and screen came on,then it was all fine. Very strange. Will keep an eye on it.

Had a similar problem today. Switched car to ready, nothing on the infotainment screen. Drove a minute or so and restarted car at some lights,still nothing. Driving down the road a minute later MG logo appeared and screen came on,then it was all fine. Very strange. Will keep an eye on it.
Very strange indeed, fingers Crossed.👍

Thanks for that, hopefully you are right, it’s a little inconvenient, I’m going to leave it to the MG guys to sort it out, after all the the 7year warranty is one of the reasons I chose a it,
Hi again Lespresso, just in case you didn’t know or realise the so call 7 year warranty does not cover everything as EWD #9 quite rightly pointed out, it does not have a 7 year on the infotainment system, this has a 3 year cover only, anyhow below is a list from the MG website ont thing that did tickle me was the cover on the 12volt battery only 1 year I don’t know why normally you get 3-5 years on these.
Les.

E9DEF11A-4046-4D90-AF47-3ADA13D33B41.jpeg

Hi again Lespresso just in case you didn’t know or realise the so call 7 year warranty does not cover everything also one part as EWD #9 quite rightly pointed out does not have 7 year is is the infotainment system this only has a 3 year cover anyhow below is a list from the MG website ont thing that did tickle me was the cover on the 12volt battery only 1 year I don’t know why normally you get 3-5 years on these.
Les.

View attachment 7833
WOW! Just goes to show does it? The powers of marketing I suppose,
still, on a brighter note all seems well on the infotainment system at the moment after your tip, hopefully it is just a glitch.

Hi Les, thanks for your reply yesterday, I tried your suggestion and success! It worked, initially the steering wheel display went a bit loopy saying all the safety programs had failed,

Hi Les, thanks for your reply yesterday, I tried your suggestion and success it worked! Initially the “steering wheel“ Display wait a little bit loopy! saying all the safety systems had failed! you can imagine that was a worry, however, after turning the engine on and off a couple of times it seems to catch up with itself and all seems well at the moment, I’ll leave the booking with MG at the moment just in case though, thanks again.
Les.
"Engine"?

It's hard to ditch the terminology we have been using for a lifetime...

One of the very few areas where the Americans beat us because they already call an internal combustion engine the "motor".

New one poped up on Sunday relevant to this thread, my neighbour 3 doors away who has a 5 also,came to ask had I had any problems with the radio not working,I said no mines been fine, so I asked I few questions thinking here’s another dead infotainment system but no not that everything except the radio was working fine on the home screen the CarPlay and satnav both ok and as normal but on the radio tab it said radio not connected reload !!!
So shut it down long press on home button and it did a reset but no different so out cam the 10mm spanner 12volt battery disconnected wait 5 minutes reconnect and hey presto all fine.
Somewhere in this forum some one created a list of desirable features on future MG vehicles, so to that can I suggest the add a big red KILL switch under the bonnet or a large wing nut on the negative battery terminal, as the disconnect appears to cure a lot of hiccups on EVs.
Les

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom