MG5 keyless/ Faraday key cage

RogerWill

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a Faraday key bag and use it, but because of how near one needs to be to activate the keyless, does this mean, if someone was trying to steal your hey signal would they not have to be equally as close or is pick up ( signal cloning)equipment far more sensitive than the car is.
Any thoughts

I have a Faraday key bag and use it, but because of how near one needs to be to activate the keyless, does this mean, if someone was trying to steal your hey signal would they not have to be equally as close or is pick up ( signal cloning)equipment far more sensitive than the car is.
Any thoughts
They use a receiver box, wave it around as close to the front of the house as they can, most people keep the car keys near the front door. They then relay this to a 2nd box that is waved around near your car and drive it away.

Several videos on YouTube of keyless theft. Got a video of a friends mustang being drive off.

I use a faraday box at home and a pouch when out that has 2 pockets one shielded and one not. So that I'm protected from chancers when I'm nearby.

They use a receiver box, wave it around as close to the front of the house as they can, most people keep the car keys near the front door. They then relay this to a 2nd box that is waved around near your car and drive it away.

Several videos on YouTube of keyless theft. Got a video of a friends mustang being drive off.

I use a faraday box at home and a pouch when out that has 2 pockets one shielded and one not. So that I'm protected from chancers when I'm nearby.
I second this. Neighbour's car was stolen via use of a signal booster, or whatever the technical term is. They key being a distance from the car makes no difference to thieves, so I'd keep the keys shielded when not in use.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't have spec'd keyless entry - it's not something I need in my use case.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom