MG5 knocking noise from rear

GeoffJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have an intermittent knocking noise in my MG5 when going over bumps. From the driver's seat it sounds like it comes from the rear nearside. I tried emptying the boot, taking out the boot cover, checking doors and boot fitment, all to no avail. Today when checking for anything loose, I noticed that the nearside ball joint at the top of the hydraulic boot strut has a slight slack movement and when moved by hand, sounds very much like the knocking I heard. The offside equivalent ball joint has no free movement and makes no noise. I'm not sure if the ball joint is a push / pull fit and if I remove and refit it will resolve the problem, or possibly even if a touch of lubrication will help. Has anyone else experienced this? It's only a minor gripe, but when the car is otherwise so quiet it is a bit annoying.

Completely unrelated but i had a knocking in the boot.
Couldn't work out what it was then it dawned on me!
I bought some locking wheelnuts and i out the nut key in the boot in a small round hole in the plastic skirting.

It was tapping on the underside of the the boot floor.
I've got a wooden floor but just in case anyone else has the same noise.

Upvote 0
I have an intermittent knocking noise in my MG5 when going over bumps. From the driver's seat it sounds like it comes from the rear nearside. I tried emptying the boot, taking out the boot cover, checking doors and boot fitment, all to no avail. Today when checking for anything loose, I noticed that the nearside ball joint at the top of the hydraulic boot strut has a slight slack movement and when moved by hand, sounds very much like the knocking I heard. The offside equivalent ball joint has no free movement and makes no noise. I'm not sure if the ball joint is a push / pull fit and if I remove and refit it will resolve the problem, or possibly even if a touch of lubrication will help. Has anyone else experienced this? It's only a minor gripe, but when the car is otherwise so quiet it is a bit annoying.
I have the same issue generally when going over speed bumps and I suspect it is the car Interior exhaust flaps.

I've noticed the same kind of noise when closing the car doors.

My car is due a service in a few thousand miles so they can check it out.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've noticed the same kind of noise when closing the car doors.
That noise you can hear, as you close the back door(s) is likely to be the one way air vent flaps opening as the door is closed.
They are usually located behind the rear bumper cover on most cars.
They are used to allow the air pressure to escape from the cabin as the final door is closed.
If you stand by one the rear door and close it fairly quickly, you can hear flap working.
I can hear them clearly on my ZS EV.
Perfectly normal.
A lot of Ford’s have had problems with these assemblies distorting and then letting water into the boot of the car.

Upvote 0
That noise you can hear, as you close the back door(s) is likely to be the one way air vent flaps opening as the door is closed.
They are usually located behind the rear bumper cover on most cars.
They are used to allow the air pressure to escape from the cabin as the final door is closed.
If you stand by one the rear door and close it fairly quickly, you can hear flap working.
I can hear them clearly on my ZS EV.
Perfectly normal.
A lot of Ford’s have had problems with these assemblies distorting and then letting water into the boot of the car.
Thanks, I'm aware of what it is, I just called is an interior exhaust flap, maybe that's the wrong term.

I was just saying that it's quite noticeable in the MG 5, I've owned many cars and never really heard it, and I suspect that is what the knocking noise is when you hit the bumps.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom